• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much "mid-stream praise"? From who?

All anyone has said is that he has done a good job in getting AD and clearing cap space.

I think pretty much everyone understands and has acknowledged that there is still a lot of work to do and still several ways he could screw this up.

Yeah, I would argue the criticism was mid-stream if anything, as the trade isn't even finalized yet.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially because the Lakers have an aging LeBron right now... they got to capitalize right now.

I never saw it that way. To me, getting Lebron was the bridge to getting younger stars in here to keep the franchise relevant for the foreseeable future. If they're able to get a ship before Lebron leaves (which may be a real possibility with the max cap space this weekend), all the better.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why doesn't it seem like something Kawhi would do? He was in a similar role all those years with the Spurs and is an unassuming, shy guy. It doesn't seem to me that he would want ALL of the limelight on him either, which would definitely be the case in Toronto and with the Clippers.

He was a young player then and on a rookie contract, when he resigned his role dramatic changed and HOF'rs retired took a backseat. He didn't have a choice then but this is a different situation.
He would be choosing to go to a team with 2 other stars. Totally different situation. Also, he was hidden away in SA, for the most part in Toronto until they got deep into the playoffs. Toronto makes the most sense but I kinda think he doesn't want to be in Toronto, I think he would like what the Clippers have to offer.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still difficult actually seeing Kawhi pick the Lakers, just doesn't seem like a move he would make imo.

I could be wrong...but unless Kawhi is willing to take less, the Lakers still may not have enough. Isn't he due something like $35 million per? So he'd have to take less. Not unprecedented, but not sure why he'd do that.

I think that pretty much leaves DLo. We are hearing buzz about the Suns or Twolves but why would he want to go to any of those teams, lets be honest.

Apparently, Butler has said he'd take less than a max to play for the Lakers. I think you posted that link.

I think the mix of role players idea is out the window as well, they didn't clear cap space to pay role players, they did it to sign 1. max guy ($32M) 2. A 2nd tier max guy, which only leaves DLo.

Maybe. I don't think there's any doubt that they are going to go after a big time FA (Kawhi is said to be the target, followed by Kyrie (don't like him this high on their list), followed by Butler, followed by D-Lo.

My list would be Kawhi, followed by D-Lo, then Butler, then Kyrie. But I'd actually prefer several really good role players over Butler and especially Kyrie.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I suppose the Lakers could clutch their future picks to their chest and let big trades opportunities go by like Danny (Kawhi, George, and now AD). Ainge refuses to make a trade that he isn't the obvious winner of, and as a result he hasn't made a few trades that could've be huge for the Celtics right now. Of course, Ainge didn't have the comfort that those players wanted to stay, which is another reason why LA just got the AD trade done and moved forward.
Yawn. Ainge has made plenty of trades, some of them big splashy ones too.

The only clear error that we can reproach Ainge for (using 20/20 hindsight) is not going harder after Kawhi. Obviously, that turned out to be a bad move... but, in fairness, the whole situation back then with Kawhi was very ugly looking... Kawhi looked like a major character concern.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why doesn't it seem like something Kawhi would do? He was in a similar role all those years with the Spurs and is an unassuming, shy guy. It doesn't seem to me that he would want ALL of the limelight on him either, which would definitely be the case in Toronto and with the Clippers.

Yeah, playing alongside Lebron and AD would keep a fair amount of attention off of him. He's the greatest player Toronto has ever had and would be the greatest the Clippers have had since Bill Walton.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, playing alongside Lebron and AD would keep a fair amount of attention off of him. He's the greatest player Toronto has ever had and would be the greatest the Clippers have had since Bill Walton.

That one season of Bill Walton, lol?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eric Piatkowski rolling over in his grave right now.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never saw it that way. To me, getting Lebron was the bridge to getting younger stars in here to keep the franchise relevant for the foreseeable future. If they're able to get a ship before Lebron leaves (which may be a real possibility with the max cap space this weekend), all the better.
You almost certainly want to (and have a fair expectation of now) win some championships in the near term while LeBron is around.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, Butler has said he'd take less than a max to play for the Lakers. I think you posted that link.

My list would be Kawhi, followed by D-Lo, then Butler, then Kyrie. But I'd actually prefer several really good role players over Butler and especially Kyrie.

I didn't know he would take less, seems strange knowing how Butler is but how much less? Really not enough to make a HUGE difference I would think. DLo is probably a better fit than Butler and he is already 5M cheaper.

I would be in that exact order except flip Kyrie and Butler. But yeah the role player idea seems better than getting Butler, still think Kyrie would be one of the best fits but injuries, age, locker room, etc. outweighs a lot of that.

1. Kawhi
2. DLo

3. Go get role players.

4. Butler less than max

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know he would take less, seems strange knowing how Butler is but how much less? Really not enough to make a HUGE difference I would think. DLo is probably a better fit than Butler and he is already 5M cheaper.

I would be in that exact order except flip Kyrie and Butler. But yeah the role player idea seems better than getting Butler, still think Kyrie would be one of the best fits but injuries, age, locker room, etc. outweighs a lot of that.

1. Kawhi
2. DLo

3. Go get role players.

4. Butler less than max

The absolute best fit, maybe even more than Kawhi and definitely more than Kyrie...would be Klay. But Klay ain't coming sooo...

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know who's the most pissed at Kemba Walker not being offered the Super max contract?

Klay Thompson. Because is there any doubt right now that the Warriors are not offering him that super max? Lol.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The absolute best fit, maybe even more than Kawhi and definitely more than Kyrie...would be Klay. But Klay ain't coming sooo...

Klay is a PERFECT fit and he gave Lebron a hug this morning. If GS offers a penny short of the max he will be hugging Lebron for years to come.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Kawhi
2. DLo

3. Go get role players.

4. Butler less than max

hell, we get Russell and I'll be a happy camper...