• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, of course... but you're missing the context of the conversation there.

We were talking specifically about the long term draft considerations that the Lakers conceded to the Pelicans.

An injury to Davis, and those become very much a big deal.

So... should Pelinka have conceded as many of those as he did? Did he really have to considering the fact that other potential suitors for AD were balky and unwilling to fully commit? I think those are legitimate questions.

Not missing anything. When players at AD's level are in the trade, long term draft considerations aren't unusual. They may not necessarily be common, but they are not unusual.

People want to paint this like the Lakers had all of the leverage, they didn't. They had more leverage than the Pels because of teams backing off, but they didn't all of the leverage or even more by a wide margin.

The Lakers HAD to get that deal done. That is a different level of pressure. They were also dealing with a team that may have preferred dealing with someone else. So they had to be pretty careful in their approach.

I'm not saying you, but I find it funny that many of the same people who were saying that the Lakers weren't getting AD, are now trying to say they somehow overpaid to get him.

Yet, if they hadn't gotten him, Pelinka and the Lakers would be getting crushed by everyone as having fucked up again.

Much of the criticism seems to mainly be people who had a lot of "hot takes" that don't look so "hot" anymore.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be said about any team and star player. If Lebron wasn't from NE Ohio and didn't promise Cavs fans a title, does he return to the Cavs.

Guys like Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, etc. leaving there current teams are all considered to be very strong possibilities. Do we think that any of them are going someplace they don't want to go to?
Said as much about Lebron and NE Ohio......though without Kyrie there ironic, huh?) and assurances from Gilbert he'lll spend (and having seen it in action) he does not come back. Lebron went to the Lakers with assurances only of it being in LA.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not missing anything. When players at AD's level are in the trade, long term draft considerations aren't unusual. They may not necessarily be common, but they are not unusual.

People want to paint this like the Lakers had all of the leverage, they didn't. They had more leverage than the Pels because of teams backing off, but they didn't all of the leverage or even more by a wide margin.

The Lakers HAD to get that deal done. That is a different level of pressure. They were also dealing with a team that may have preferred dealing with someone else. So they had to be pretty careful in their approach.

I'm not saying you, but I find it funny that many of the same people who were saying that the Lakers weren't getting AD, are now trying to say they somehow overpaid to get him.

Yet, if they hadn't gotten him, Pelinka and the Lakers would be getting crushed by everyone as having fucked up again.

Much of the criticism seems to mainly be people who had a lot of "hot takes" that don't look so "hot" anymore.
I mean...

Davis was on a 1 year contract....was demanding to go to the Lakers....Davis refused to go to the Celtics, who mostly dropped out of the bidding, Durant's injury took the Knicks out of making a major offer.....

I just dont see where any other kind of significant offer comes from other than LA. That was their leverage.

Usually when a super-star gets traded the trador usually gets 50 cents on the dollar. This time, with a guy on a 1 year deal, with no other major offers from other teams, Griffin got a ton.

The Pelicans may have preferred to deal with someone else, but who is that team? With the circumstances the other 2 teams that made any sense, the Celtics and Knicks, became non-factors.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta admit that's the 1st time i've heard that slant...

I didn't make that up. A goofball by the name of trustmeimright has said that in the past. He also has said Saban's an overrated CFB coach because he didn't have great success @ Michigan State. His homerism is way over the top.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...

Davis was on a 1 year contract....was demanding to go to the Lakers....Davis refused to go to the Celtics, who mostly dropped out of the bidding, Durant's injury took the Knicks out of making a major offer.....

I just dont see where any other kind of significant offer comes from other than LA. That was their leverage.

Usually when a super-star gets traded the trador usually gets 50 cents on the dollar. This time, with a guy on a 1 year deal, with no other major offers from other teams, Griffin got a ton.

The Pelicans may have preferred to deal with someone else, but who is that team? With the circumstances the other 2 teams that made any sense, the Celtics and Knicks, became non-factors.

I'm not saying that the Lakers didn't have the advantage/leverage. I just don't think it was as much of an advantage as some want to claim.

As I said in an earlier post, I and other Lakers fans are nervous because everything is so close to the Lakers being contenders again and we don't know if Pelinka is actually a good GM or not. But we do know that he is inexperienced and there are still plenty of ways to screw things up.

Heck, just waiting too long on an answer from one of the top FA's could cost them when it comes to landing a "2nd tier guy" and/or filling out the roster with better role players.

Considering everything they've been through since their last title, this is arguably the most important off season in Lakers history.

So far, since Jeanie said that he is in charge of basketball operations, he has landed AD and cleared the cap space they need. So he gets credit for that.

But we still have to see what does starting Sunday to see what else he can do.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking about the draft considerations that run all the way to 2024 possibly '25.

Again, if all works out for the Lakers, those are end of the round picks. They get a 1st in 2021 (top 8 protected, then unprotected in 2022), right to swap picks in 2023, and can choose either the 2024 or 2025 1st round pick (I think?, I've seen reports where it's just the a regular pick swap in 2025 and a 1st in 2024). Think two more Moe Wagners, or if you're luckly Kyle Kuzmas. It's a crap shoot that late in the first.

Of course, if it all blows up in the Lakers faces, they'll only have every other 1st though 2025 to right the ship. For AD they would always take that chance. If they secure either Kawhi (28 tomorrow), Kyrie (27), or DLo (23) with this cap space along with AD (26), they'll have a young trio (with Kuzma, 24) to pair with Lebron and take over for him when he retires. These guys should still be in their late primes in 2025, or possibly replaced by then with younger FAs (the new FA signing would be a FA again in the summer of 2023, with AD following in 2025).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh I think the same. it's just that everyone and his brother seems to think the Lakers are in the running to grab him...

I think they are very confident in getting one of the max targets, otherwise they wouldn't throw Wagner away just for cap space so soon. They could always clear that later if needed. Whether that is Kawhi we won't know for at least a few days.

What a weekend for Kawhi. His birthday is tomorrow, then he gets the big FA push starting Sunday night.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, if all works out for the Lakers, those are end of the round picks. They get a 1st in 2021 (top 8 protected, then unprotected in 2022), right to swap picks in 2023, and can choose either the 2024 or 2025 1st round pick (I think?, I've seen reports where it's just the a regular pick swap in 2025 and a 1st in 2024). Think two more Moe Wagners, or if you're luckly Kyle Kuzmas. It's a crap shoot that late in the first.
Right... if it all works out, it will all work out.

The issue is the risk of it not working out, and the open question as to whether Pelinka had to concede so much... particularly way down the line.
shop said:
Of course, if it all blows up in the Lakers faces, they'll only have every other 1st though 2025 to right the ship. For AD they would always take that chance.
I don't necessarily disagree.

Especially because the Lakers have an aging LeBron right now... they got to capitalize right now.

Just trying to point out that Pelinka is getting a little too much mid-stream praise here... the job isn't done yet, for starters... and for another thing he has given up a lot just to get this far.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...

So, if you try to use that leverage and the negotiations move past the draft, then where are you at? The draft pick then becomes more difficult to move (or keep, depending on who made the pick). Does the standoff then go into free agency, mucking things up further? We're talking two future 1sts, hopefully (and likely?) late 1sts.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still difficult actually seeing Kawhi pick the Lakers, just doesn't seem like a move he would make imo.

I think that pretty much leaves DLo. We are hearing buzz about the Suns or Twolves but why would he want to go to any of those teams, lets be honest.

I think the mix of role players idea is out the window as well, they didn't clear cap space to pay role players, they did it to sign 1. max guy ($32M) 2. A 2nd tier max guy, which only leaves DLo.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right... if it all works out, it will all work out.

The issue is the risk of it not working out, and the open question as to whether Pelinka had to concede so much... particularly way down the line.

I don't necessarily disagree.

Especially because the Lakers have an aging LeBron right now... they got to capitalize right now.

Just trying to point out that Pelinka is getting a little too much mid-stream praise here... the job isn't done yet, for starters... and for another thing he has given up a lot just to get this far.

Well, I suppose the Lakers could clutch their future picks to their chest and let big trades opportunities go by like Danny (Kawhi, George, and now AD). Ainge refuses to make a trade that he isn't the obvious winner of, and as a result he hasn't made a few trades that could've be huge for the Celtics right now. Of course, Ainge didn't have the comfort that those players wanted to stay, which is another reason why LA just got the AD trade done and moved forward.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Too much "mid-stream praise"? From who?

All anyone has said is that he has done a good job in getting AD and clearing cap space.

I think pretty much everyone understands and has acknowledged that there is still a lot of work to do and still several ways he could screw this up.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still difficult actually seeing Kawhi pick the Lakers, just doesn't seem like a move he would make imo.

I think that pretty much leaves DLo. We are hearing buzz about the Suns or Twolves but why would he want to go to any of those teams, lets be honest.

I think the mix of role players idea is out the window as well, they didn't clear cap space to pay role players, they did it to sign 1. max guy ($32M) 2. A 2nd tier max guy, which only leaves DLo.

Why doesn't it seem like something Kawhi would do? He was in a similar role all those years with the Spurs and is an unassuming, shy guy. It doesn't seem to me that he would want ALL of the limelight on him either, which would definitely be the case in Toronto and with the Clippers.