• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pointless to talk about bc it hasn't happened, still don't think it happens. That Big 3 would be much better than the Warriors. Sorry buddy.
What are you apologizing for?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically this is what happened:

Pelinka: So.... we need to create some cap space to get a max free agent
Wizards: Ehm... ok?
Pelinka: We're going to need you to take on Wagner, Bonga and Jones
Wizards: Oh, ok. Sure
Pelinka: You're also going to have to give us some cash for them
Wizards: Seems fair. You've got a deal

@WiggyRuss you've been very critical of Pelinka since he took over from Magic (despite the AD trade)

What are your thoughts?

It is a good trade that accomplished a clear objective in LA and is probably good for the Wizards too in case 1 of those turns into a player.

That said, it is still only a necessary move because the Lakers screwed the pooch on the Davis trade timing.

Had they got that right, they would have even more cap space and would have been able to keep 3 cheap young players.

So I am not terribly impressed by this.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler or Kawhi. Signs pointing to Kawhi. Now it doesn't seem like a Kawhi move but usually the BIG move in FA is the one most unexpected so I could see it happening.
Agree, though when they are unexpected it's often a deal or trade with teams who were barely mentioned. Maybe he goes to Indiana?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a good trade that accomplished a clear objective in LA and is probably good for the Wizards too in case 1 of those turns into a player.

That said, it is still only a necessary move because the Lakers screwed the pooch on the Davis trade timing.

Had they got that right, they would have even more cap space and would have been able to keep 3 cheap young players.

So I am not terribly impressed by this.

What's wrong with the timing? The trade isn't even complete yet. For all we know this was always part of the deal but details have only just been released

Pelinka has been getting a lot of criticism, especially after the whole Magic fiasco, but he's done everything right so far regarding the AD trade.

$32m is literally the max the Lakers could get to spend on free agency and Pelinka has done just that.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would watch Lakers games even if they were entirely made up of guys from their D-league team.
I'm sure I'll still watch Kings games, I've watched them when they were doing worse than they are now. But it'd still really suck to see.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's wrong with the timing? The trade isn't even complete yet. For all we know this was always part of the deal but details have only just been released

Pelinka has been getting a lot of criticism, especially after the whole Magic fiasco, but he's done everything right so far regarding the AD trade.

$32m is literally the max the Lakers could get to spend on free agency and Pelinka has done just that.

If the trade were to be consummated on July 30th instead of July 6th, the Lakers would have had 31 million without this trade and like 35 if Davis declined his trade kicker.

Had the Lakers pushed for the later date, I am sure they could have gotten that.

They didn’t.

That is what is wrong with the timing.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the trade were to be consummated on July 30th instead of July 6th, the Lakers would have had 31 million without this trade and like 35 if Davis declined his trade kicker.

Had the Lakers pushed for the later date, I am sure they could have gotten that.

They didn’t.

That is what is wrong with the timing.

With a total of 4 teams now reported to be involved in this trade, the Lakers don't exactly get lone say in the timing.

Pelinka got the AD trade done, kept Kuzma out of it and managed to get $32m in cap space. All in all a pretty good job if you ask me.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a total of 4 teams now reported to be involved in this trade, the Lakers don't exactly get lone say in the timing.

Pelinka got the AD trade done, kept Kuzma out of it and managed to get $32m in cap space. All in all a pretty good job if you ask me.

All in all it is great for the Lakers.

But there is a reason Pelinka has been criticized and he deserves it. He has made more bad moves than good.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the camp that the Lakers, short of signing Kawhi, would be better off passing on every other max guy (including D'Lo with his smaller max around 27 mil) and fill out the roster with other guys. Bogdanovic is the guy I'd like to see the most. Ideally, I'd like to see them still make the moves to maximize their cap space (a little over 30 mil) and spread that around. Devote the most of that to Bog, who is probably gonna command something between 15 and 20 mil). Then I'd love to see if its possible to fill in the rest with Beverley and Jeremy Lamb. Then see if you can get some front court players on the cheap or mid-level like Faried, Noel, or Aaron Baynes if Phoenix does buy him out.

Edit: What I'm most afraid of is the front office is gonna wait around for the max level guys to make a decision and during that time, all those good role players will be signed up elsewhere. The Lakers will be caught holding the bag with just scraps or they'll overpay some B-tier guy

Mostly agree. I'd actually like to see them get D-Lo. He's only 23. He and AD would be a great combo to build around when Lebron retires.

Agree on the FO waiting too long. However they have done it...whether it's mostly because of Lebron and Klutch or whatever, they have stumbled into 2 top 5 players and just need to not fuck up what they put around them to be contenders.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have done it the same way.
4 million in cap space is not worth the risk of waiting around 24 days.

Anything could have happened in that time period.
That is an eternity in the uncertain market of free agency and trades.

The TV talking heads way over-reacted and criticized the Lakers for it.
They are all "team Magic" and want to paint Pelinka as an incompetent bad guy whenever possible.

But, I think he did it the correct way.
Getting Davis 100% and eliminating the unlikely but possible 5% chance of not getting him, for 4 million in cap.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's to get Jimmy Butler...I would pass and just get a bunch of role players.

Kawhi - Clips or Raptors
Kemba - Celtics
Kyrie - Nets
KD - Nets, Knicks, Clippers, W's

All that leaves is Jimmy.

May not necessarily be for a top max guy. They should have approx. $32 million in cap space. If they signed D-Lo for $27 million that would leave them about $5 million more in cap space to use before going over.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kawhi isn't just my favorite non-Lakers player. He's my favorite player...period.

No way the Lakers are getting him. God loves me. But he doesn't love me THAT much.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kawhi isn't just my favorite non-Lakers player. He's my favorite player...period.

No way the Lakers are getting him. God loves me. But he doesn't love me THAT much.

Kawhi's been my favorite NBAer for years. But The Joker is gaining ground because I can see all the Nuggets games.