• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which means they can play as long as the lockout continues

Which means that all involved know it can be a timeframe of a day to a week, to unknown, but prob nothing long term enough for either side to really invest in.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have the vast majority of it.

Do you know how many fans are not big time baskebtall fans? That like going to games for the atmosphere and to go out and the entertainment etc.

Not to mention that there are also plenty of fans that are fans of the team- and not of any player- now that is probably the LEAST important in the NBA but it is still a significant factor.

Plus there are still plenty, id say most of the league- of players that are stupid with their money.

The "governors" (what a fucking joke) prob. have the least amount of leverage than any other league, but some of the other leagues have some things going for them that the NBA doesnt as well.

Also consider, sales teams, food vendors, hotel travel, advertisers, etc, etc.
Often NBA teams have multi year contracts.
There is so much more to the business then the games.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which means that all involved know it can be a timeframe of a day to a week, to unknown, but prob nothing long term enough for either side to really invest in.

All depends on what the governors’ agenda is and how far off the two sides are.

If they want to create an NFL like power structure like was implied earlier, the players will not agree and overseas options would be a strong card for them to play.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All depends on what the governors’ agenda is and how far off the two sides are.

If they want to create an NFL like power structure like was implied earlier, the players will not agree and overseas options would be a strong card for them to play.

I wouldn’t hold my breath.
NBA players go there because NBA teams dont want them here.
Im not aware of any US born player who ever preferred to be there, or anything about it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t hold my breath.
NBA players go there because NBA teams dont want them here.
Im not aware of any US born player who ever preferred to be there, or anything about it.

It's not a matter of preference, it's a matter of leverage.

Of course NBA players don't WANT to go overseas. But when you consider what team overseas would be willing to pay for a top NBA player (or hell, even a mid-level NBA player), it gives them leverage against the owners to basically say..."We can hold out for as long as we want and it will have very little, if any, impact on us financially."

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course NBA players don't WANT to go overseas. But when you consider what team overseas would be willing to pay for a top NBA player (or hell, even a mid-level NBA player), it gives them leverage against the owners to basically say..."We can hold out for as long as we want and it will have very little, if any, impact on us financially."

I don't know how much leverage they really have. Plus many of them do it for the fame, and you aren't really getting that overseas.

Plus say Lebron left your team to go to China, you going to stop watching the lakers? I think the NBA doesn't need the star as much as the star needs the NBA. Overseas, would also dilute the stars because some might go to China and some might go to Russia, Germany Etc...So most fans still won't watch imo

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are the players moving their wives, kids, families all over the world with them?
Giving up their homes, lifestyles, luxuries they’re accustomed to?

Not sure when basketball is played in all of these countries all over the world, but if it doesn't coincide when NBA is negotiating, they might very well have a full year off?

Plus, if they aren’t FA, their current NBA owner can put a stop to it the day the sides come to an agreement.

Why would the overseas team want to be a pawn?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how much leverage they really have. Plus many of them do it for the fame, and you aren't really getting that overseas.

Plus say Lebron left your team to go to China, you going to stop watching the lakers? I think the NBA doesn't need the star as much as the star needs the NBA. Overseas, would also dilute the stars because some might go to China and some might go to Russia, Germany Etc...So most fans still won't watch imo

Plus factor in the time change.
A 7 pm China game is 7 am here on East Coast. 4 am Pacific.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harsh.

That's somebody's CHILD.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of those picks was anthony Bennett.....and the future pick(s) moved for Love were not #1. Neither of LAC is better than SGA. Forget about him? and wasn't Harrell a FA?

what should they have received per you? Be specific.

Love was traded for Wiggins and Bennet, two former #1 overall picks. You aren't getting of Love's caliber for the picks that the Clips received...lol

"Neither of LAC is better than SGA". - weren't we talking abut Gallinari?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some players are equipped enough to never have to worry about it.
A huge % aren’t because of either salary and /or lifestyle expenses they need to continue to pay for.

Reminds me of a line a player said during the last NBA lockout/work stoppage, I think it was Kenny Anderson, trying to garner a little sympathy from fans:

"Yes we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too!" :lol:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it tastes good. Name me one thing you have ever had from Taco bell that wasn't good? You can't, you lose, good day sir!

Taco Bell is for broke-ass college kids who can't afford actual, tastier, healthier Mexican food from an actual Mexican place.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you just not watch basketball? Guys who are maybe a team's top 3-4 player (which Galinari was) can be a little inconsistent....not all games will be stud-like.

Would you care to take a look at Mitchell's playoff games for Utah? Don't....it will ruin your foolish narrative.

Gallinari was only a point or two off from the leading scorer on LAC all season and when tobias got traded he was the 2nd leading scorer on the team. He was one of the leading scoring options on LAC when they were in the playoffs, he should have been better especially at this veteran age.

Gallinari is 30 years old while Mitchell is 22 years old. I'll cut Mitchell some slack now but if his playoffs woes continue when he's 30 then he should be called out too.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should wait on the "feeling" of a guy who has never made an actual NBA trade and at best has made one in his fantasy league?

I have no doubt they would been better off.

Seriously, though, why not explore the many other opportunities that would have been available if you waited then at least you know for sure if you made the best trade. It's only good sense to get as many bids as possible when making any trade in life.