• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thunder Increasing Efforts To Shed Salary

The Thunder have increased their efforts to reduce team salary for the 2019/20 season, league sources tell Jake Fischer of Sports Illustrated (Twitter link). According to Fischer, Steven Adams, Dennis Schroder, and Andre Roberson are all “very available,” as is the No. 21 overall pick in Thursday’s draft.

After being on the hook for a league-high luxury tax bill in 2018/19 (reportedly $61.6MM), the Thunder project to be well over the tax line again next season. Currently, the team has committed approximately $144.5MM in guaranteed money to nine players for ’19/20, per Basketball Insiders. The tax threshold is projected to come in at about $132MM.

As I pointed out when I previewed the Thunder’s offseason, team ownership may not be on board with paying another big tax bill for a roster that has been eliminated in the first round of the playoffs for three consecutive years.

Attaching the No. 21 pick to the expiring contracts of Roberson ($10.7MM) and/or Patrick Patterson ($5.7MM) would be one way to shed salary. Moving a key rotation player like Adams ($25.8MM) or Schroder ($15.5MM) – both of whom have two years left on their deals – would represent a more drastic cost-cutting measure.

Head of basketball operations Sam Presti has some experience finding creative ways to trim team salary without sacrificing Oklahoma City’s on-court upside. Last summer, he moved Carmelo Anthony‘s $27MM expiring salary for Schroder, substantially reducing the Thunder’s projected tax bill while securing a veteran in Schroder who would play a more significant role than Anthony.

We’ll have to wait to see whether Presti has a mandate to reduce team salary again this summer, and if he can figure out another creative way to do so.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wizards to reportedly offer Beal a 3/111M extension. Sounds like he's off the market, lol.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I have a feeling draft day is gonna be extra spicy. Everyone want to shed salary. Might see a lot of player and pick movement going on.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been playing with the Trade Machine all day. Who says no to this?

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

Not even sure if draft picks would need to be included.

Pistons need a playmaking PG and this one already has history of working well. Even with their past Blake and CP3 have been a good combo before. This time around CP3 will have been humbled (hopefully) by a team just wanting to ship him out instead of him requesting out. This is clearly Blake's team. They also get a starting center back. If healthy, they would have an excellent shot at getting close to a 5th seed in the East.

Cavs get a potential franchise center and have probably the strongest rebounding front court in the NBA. Drummond is still young and would form a nice inside out duo with Love, in addition to being an above the rim option for Sexton.

Rockets get to ship out CP3 and his contract. They get back a starting PG and a starting PF who can shoot the 3 and still allow the Rockets to play a similar brand of basketball. But the best of all of this is in the worst case scenario they'll have all 3 contracts (45.6M) expiring next season with only Harden, Capela and Tucker on the books. They basically would have close to 2 max slots for free agents. It allows them to still be competitive this year and also look to the future.

The Clippers do this because they want JR Smith's expiring contract. Moving Gallo opens up two max slots this year. On top of that they would still have Lou, Shai, Trez, Shamet under contract. If Kawhi agreed to come, you could pair him with any other top tier free agent and become an instant contender.

CP3 is just untradeable, nobody wants him. Nice try though

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thunder Increasing Efforts To Shed Salary

The Thunder have increased their efforts to reduce team salary for the 2019/20 season, league sources tell Jake Fischer of Sports Illustrated (Twitter link). According to Fischer, Steven Adams, Dennis Schroder, and Andre Roberson are all “very available,” as is the No. 21 overall pick in Thursday’s draft.

After being on the hook for a league-high luxury tax bill in 2018/19 (reportedly $61.6MM), the Thunder project to be well over the tax line again next season. Currently, the team has committed approximately $144.5MM in guaranteed money to nine players for ’19/20, per Basketball Insiders. The tax threshold is projected to come in at about $132MM.

As I pointed out when I previewed the Thunder’s offseason, team ownership may not be on board with paying another big tax bill for a roster that has been eliminated in the first round of the playoffs for three consecutive years.

Attaching the No. 21 pick to the expiring contracts of Roberson ($10.7MM) and/or Patrick Patterson ($5.7MM) would be one way to shed salary. Moving a key rotation player like Adams ($25.8MM) or Schroder ($15.5MM) – both of whom have two years left on their deals – would represent a more drastic cost-cutting measure.

Head of basketball operations Sam Presti has some experience finding creative ways to trim team salary without sacrificing Oklahoma City’s on-court upside. Last summer, he moved Carmelo Anthony‘s $27MM expiring salary for Schroder, substantially reducing the Thunder’s projected tax bill while securing a veteran in Schroder who would play a more significant role than Anthony.

We’ll have to wait to see whether Presti has a mandate to reduce team salary again this summer, and if he can figure out another creative way to do so.
PG for Snell would save a lot.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah could be interesting, but also would depend on how much Rozier wants for his contract. Now that Kyrie is for sure gone, do you think Boston tries to repair that bridge with him?

I have no idea what Danny is doing.

I kinda wanna see him renounce everyone and go for deangelo Russell

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-anthony-davis-intends-receive-175900036.html
Report: Anthony Davis intends to receive full trade bonus
Ramona Shelburne on ESPN:

My understanding is he doesn’t intend to waive that. He’s due the four million dollars, and he’s going to keep it. But again, as you just noted in that monologue, things can change.

If he takes the full bonus, Davis’ salary next season will increase from $27,093,018 to $31,156,971. And good for him. He earned the trade kicker in his contract.

This also supports agent Rich Paul’s contention that he puts Davis’ interests first while representing Davis, not catering to fellow client LeBron James. Because while the extra money is nice for Davis, this hurts LeBron’s Lakers.

thats a shame.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, Rich Paul and Klutch are going to take every last penny from the Lakers they can and leave it flaming wreckage when they leave I am convinced.

No reason why if DAvis wants a productive long term relationship that he would not waive that 4 million- I almost thought it was 100% for sure that he would waive it for the betterment of the team.

But it seems that both him and LeBron want every last penny.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-anthony-davis-intends-receive-175900036.html
Report: Anthony Davis intends to receive full trade bonus
Ramona Shelburne on ESPN:

My understanding is he doesn’t intend to waive that. He’s due the four million dollars, and he’s going to keep it. But again, as you just noted in that monologue, things can change.

If he takes the full bonus, Davis’ salary next season will increase from $27,093,018 to $31,156,971. And good for him. He earned the trade kicker in his contract.

This also supports agent Rich Paul’s contention that he puts Davis’ interests first while representing Davis, not catering to fellow client LeBron James. Because while the extra money is nice for Davis, this hurts LeBron’s Lakers.

thats a shame.

Reports say the Lakers never even approached him about waiving it....yet

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lakers aren't going to ask him to waive it, and I don't expect him to.

All signs point towards the deal being completed on July 6th too.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, Rich Paul and Klutch are going to take every last penny from the Lakers they can and leave it flaming wreckage when they leave I am convinced.

No reason why if DAvis wants a productive long term relationship that he would not waive that 4 million- I almost thought it was 100% for sure that he would waive it for the betterment of the team.

But it seems that both him and LeBron want every last penny.

The $4 million dollars for AD is chump change compared to what winning a title with the Lakers does for you off the court. Lebron's not getting younger and I'd be trying to strike now if I'm AD; not worried about $4 mil extra.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah could be interesting, but also would depend on how much Rozier wants for his contract. Now that Kyrie is for sure gone, do you think Boston tries to repair that bridge with him?
I'll field this one:

No.

And not just because of the @ss Rozier made of himself on the interview circuit after the playoff bounce.

Mostly because of the garbage season he turned in the entirety of last year... Rozier was literally one of the worst players in the league by several statistical accountings.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll field this one:

No.

And not just because of the @ss Rozier made of himself on the interview circuit after the playoff bounce.

Mostly because of the garbage season he turned in the entirety of last year... Rozier was literally one of the worst players in the league by several statistical accountings.

How do you feel about pairing Russell with Tatum?

That’s all their cap space. But it might be the one move that can build with Tatum as an up and coming contender (not there yet)

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how is that stuff not ironed out before the trade is consumated?

thje trade date, the trade kickers---- whether he is willing to waive that, what the trade date is as it benefits one team to do it now, another team to do it now....

how the fuck is that shit not negotiated BEFORE the deal- esp. becuase those 2 things, as it stands now, benefit (i) Anthony DAvis for the bonus, and the early trade date benefits the Pels for trading the draft rights, and cap.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you feel about pairing Russell with Tatum?

That’s all their cap space. But it might be the one move that can build with Tatum as an up and coming contender (not there yet)
I don't have a strong feeling either way... I guess I'd lean towards no, then.

Apparently, DLo got caught with marijuana possession in the last month or so? link

I'm kinda sick of this questionable character sh!t.

I guess it's better than Rozier, though.