• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong again, gramps. Or rather, they 'sports hate' whichever team is dominant, but the sport is more popular when there's a superteam to root for or against
Gramps? You consider 39 old?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gramps? You consider 39 old?
Oh shit I'm a decade older than you. You come across like a codger.

This might explain things a bit, you were too young to remember the 1980s superteams.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are fair comments but he's not wrong about some comments......wouldn't it have been better to have been able to keep a guy like JRich and all picks and go get the FA they wanted like other teams did?

It's one pick that the Heat gave up, and it's lotto-protected until 2026. And there's an all-star that's 29 right now that wanted to get on the Heat now; we gave up little to get him. I liked Richardson as a player, but he was in the wrong role on the Heat whereas in Philly he'll be in a better role.

But my comments were addressed to Wiggy where we unloaded a crap ton of assets in order to get Butler. Him calling Whiteside an asset is super-hypocritical given his longstanding view on Whiteside. He's had to have written several dissertations on the matter while lurking these forums.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh shit I'm a decade older than you. You come across like a codger.

This might explain things a bit, you were too young to remember the 1980s superteams.
I remember them but was more interested in football back then.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one pick that the Heat gave up, and it's lotto-protected until 2026. And there's an all-star that's 29 right now that wanted to get on the Heat now; we gave up little to get him. I liked Richardson as a player, but he was in the wrong role on the Heat whereas in Philly he'll be in a better role.

But my comments were addressed to Wiggy where we unloaded a crap ton of assets in order to get Butler. Him calling Whiteside an asset is super-hypocritical given his longstanding view on Whiteside. He's had to have written several dissertations on the matter while lurking these forums.
Wiggy is in a world of his own... :D

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong again, gramps. Or rather, they 'sports hate' whichever team is dominant, but the sport is more popular when there's a superteam to root for or against

Agree. Sports thrive when there is a "villain" to "hate".

Also, the "good guy" team can become the villain if they win too much or do something that really tips the scales in their favor.

Everyone loved the Warriors when they beat the evil Lebron, but when they added KD, they became the villain for a lot of folks.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said Olynk was a joke and that Whiteside was a cancer. We basically gave up Richardson and a 1st round pick to get Butler (an all-star) and Meyers Leonard who's a decent bench player.
Isn't that the point? Gave up a solid player AND a 1st rounder for a FA.

You get the FA concept, don't you?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fondly do remember the Miami Heat Super Team losing to the Mavericks in the NBA Championship.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Sports thrive when there is a "villain" to "hate".

Also, the "good guy" team can become the villain if they win too much or do something that really tips the scales in their favor.

Everyone loved the Warriors when they beat the evil Lebron, but when they added KD, they became the villain for a lot of folks.
I never loved the Warriors.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knew that Butler couldn't just sign-on with the Heat outright and that the Heat had to make moves. Stop acting like you're a genius. And in the end, as great as Richardson turned out, he didn't have a higher ceiling than Jimmy Butler. He'll fit in fine with Philly, but I'll take the guy with higher upside. And again, it's funny that you're now calling Whiteside an asset. Which is funny given your takes over the years on him.
Fair points and I'd have signed Butler as well.

Reactions: GNG

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or drafting Anthony Bennett......lol
Guy many are calling a genius and ripping the Cavs for not keeping was most responsible for that.....

“The issue with Anthony was, and we had no way of knowing it at the time, the kid had no desire to overcome adversity whatsoever,” said Griffin. “As soon as it was hard, he was out. His whole life, he rolled out of bed bigger, better, and more talented than everybody else. As soon as it was hard, it was over.

“And I was the one on campus at UNLV,” he added. “I’m the one who got sold the bill of goods and I bought it hook, line, and sinker. You f— up sometimes. But I feel bad [ex-Cavs GM] Chris [Grant] took it for that, because Chris was the one guy who wasn’t sure.”

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fondly do remember the Miami Heat Super Team losing to the Mavericks in the NBA Championship.
Exactly. You root for or against the superteams. But they are good for the league

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy many are calling a genius and ripping the Cavs for not keeping was most responsible for that.....

“The issue with Anthony was, and we had no way of knowing it at the time, the kid had no desire to overcome adversity whatsoever,” said Griffin. “As soon as it was hard, he was out. His whole life, he rolled out of bed bigger, better, and more talented than everybody else. As soon as it was hard, it was over.

“And I was the one on campus at UNLV,” he added. “I’m the one who got sold the bill of goods and I bought it hook, line, and sinker. You f— up sometimes. But I feel bad [ex-Cavs GM] Chris [Grant] took it for that, because Chris was the one guy who wasn’t sure.”

Yup. Definitely a black mark for Griffin.

Just wanted to point it's funny that Wiggy makes fun of the Heat for drafting Napier (whom we drafted in the 20's mind you), and he's still in the league. Bennett was taking with the #1 pick and lasted what? 3 years?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that the point? Gave up a solid player AND a 1st rounder for a FA.

You get the FA concept, don't you?

I absolutely do. It's par for the course what the Heat gave up. So not sure why Wiggy's laughing his ass off on what the Heat gave up.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiters contract is fine. 12 or 13 million for a starting sg is fine. Only an issue because it is the heat.

The other 2 are player options. I would bet one of them opt out....but im sure you'll say impossible for Miami to trade any of these guys just like you said with tj and Hassan
anyone in the league can be traded--- any single guy- (except maybe John Wall) but if you trade a shitbag contract you will get back a shitbag contract.

Like Tyler Johnson for Ryan Anderson--- both nearly equally bad contracts-- TJ slightly less expensive but slightly more useful.

You could absolutely trade Waiters and J Johnson tomorrow if you wanted to take back contracts that were equally as bad. You could call up the Hornets and say we will take Batum and Waiters and Johnson would prob. be gone.

Whiteside its the same thing-- you dealt one guy with limited use on an expensive expiring contract for 2 guys with fairly limited use on expiring contracts (if I were to rank the 3 in terms of usefulness id go (i) Harkless, (ii) Whiteside, (iii) Leonard,--- so it makes sense that the trade worked out).

John Wall is probably hte ONLY guy in the league that is pretty much completely untradeable- and even he could be moved if the Wiz were willing to take back equally bad contracts.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if you root for that team.

Not really. There's a reason that superteams get shown on national tv a lot.

It's been shown over and over that people watch superteams. Some are watching and hoping they fail, others are watching and hoping they win...but they're watching.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely do. It's par for the course what the Heat gave up. So not sure why Wiggy's laughing his ass off on what the Heat gave up.
because you had to give up substantial assets to sign a guy who you couldve gotten for nothing if Riley had any semblance of a clue how to run a team.

that- and i think Jimmy Butler is an ass clown on his 4th team in 5 years with a ton of miles on him who wears out his welcome. So....good luck with that.

If I were the Heat I would have just let all these guys expire in a year or two, and before Richardson, Winslow and Bam got their big raises, go out in the market and get some FA's and then use Bird Rights to resign Winslow/Richardson/Bam.

Now Richardson is gone, you are missing 2 first round picks, and you still have no cap space until 2 years from now when Jimmy Butler will be entering his age 32 and its universally agreed that hes had a lot more wear and tear put on him than the typical player for his age.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because you had to give up substantial assets to sign a guy who you couldve gotten for nothing if Riley had any semblance of a clue how to run a team.

that- and i think Jimmy Butler is an ass clown on his 4th team in 5 years with a ton of miles on him who wears out his welcome. So....good luck with that.

If I were the Heat I would have just let all these guys expire in a year or two, and before Richardson, Winslow and Bam got their big raises, go out in the market and get some FA's and then use Bird Rights to resign Winslow/Richardson/Bam.

Now Richardson is gone, you are missing 2 first round picks, and you still have no cap space until 2 years from now when Jimmy Butler will be entering his age 32 and its universally agreed that hes had a lot more wear and tear put on him than the typical player for his age.

You can say what you want about Jimmy Butler being ass, but let's review:

Chicago - By all accounts got tired of the situation in Chicago, and the front office there has no clue in what they're doing.

Minnesota - Apparently grew tired of KAT and Wiggins lack of work ethic and desire to win. Forced his way out of there.

Philly - Literally offered him a max deal to stay.

And now he's in Miami to be the lead man. He apparently has an issue with teammates that don't want to win and doesn't like losing - what horrible qualities. And in terms of mileage. For 6 straight seasons that spans from Chicago to Minnesota, he's averaged around 36 - 38 MPG and hasn't been past the 2nd round. I think he'll be fine.

But let me know how Cleveland is doing at the bottom of the league again. Enjoy hovering around the Knicks and the Suns....again.