• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Los Angeles Lakers Off-Season Thread

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I like another option for the Lakers that I think could put them in contention and still keep a couple of the kids and the #4 pick could really help with it.

If I'm the Lakers, I think that I would look to send the #4 pick and either Lonzo and Kuzma or Ingram and Hart and a future first to the Wizards for Bradley Beal and then look to sign Vucevic or even Boogie.

I'd prefer Vucevic, but they should be able to get Boogie for less because of his injury, which would leave them a little more cap space to add better quality role players.

Not worth it. If darius garland is good as they say he is, he would be our beal and spell Lonzo at point. I say get Vuc and roll with the roster. Add a JJ reddick as well for shooting. The reports are.. The pelicans will never trade Davis to the Lakers. I believe it. Time for a new course. Let the celtics gut their roster for Davis.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worth it. If darius garland is good as they say he is, he would be our beal and spell Lonzo at point. I say get Vuc and roll with the roster. Add a JJ reddick as well for shooting. The reports are.. The pelicans will never trade Davis to the Lakers. I believe it. Time for a new course. Let the celtics gut their roster for Davis.

I would believe the reports about the Pels if they hadn't just hired David Griffin. Word is that he has been given a lot of power.

Griffin has a good working relationship with Klutch and I doubt he's interested in continuing a pissing match with another team from before he got to the Pels.

Griffin experienced going to the finals and winning a title with an organization where for decades, no one thought it could happen. I'm sure he'd like to do it again asap. If the Lakers have the best offer, that's the one he'll want to take. Then, it'll be up to him to convince ownership to put the petty bullshit aside and let him take the deal.

Personally, if I'm the Lakers, I try to find out through back channels if there are any circumstances under which they would deal with us. They could have Klutch approach Griffin and ask. If they like the answer...great. Go ahead and try to get him.

If they don't like the answer...move on to Plan B .

The problem re: Garland is that the Lakers are in win now mode. He may turn into Bradley Beal in a few seasons, but the Lakers need him to be Bradley Beal right now. Beal is already Beal while Garland has all of 5 games of college experience. He looks to be good, but the Lakers can't really afford to wait.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would believe the reports about the Pels if they hadn't just hired David Griffin. Word is that he has been given a lot of power.

Griffin has a good working relationship with Klutch and I doubt he's interested in continuing a pissing match with another team from before he got to the Pels.

Griffin experienced going to the finals and winning a title with an organization where for decades, no one thought it could happen. I'm sure he'd like to do it again asap. If the Lakers have the best offer, that's the one he'll want to take. Then, it'll be up to him to convince ownership to put the petty bullshit aside and let him take the deal.

Personally, if I'm the Lakers, I try to find out through back channels if there are any circumstances under which they would deal with us. They could have Klutch approach Griffin and ask. If they like the answer...great. Go ahead and try to get him.

If they don't like the answer...move on to Plan B .

The problem re: Garland is that the Lakers are in win now mode. He may turn into Bradley Beal in a few seasons, but the Lakers need him to be Bradley Beal right now. Beal is already Beal while Garland has all of 5 games of college experience. He looks to be good, but the Lakers can't really afford to wait.
I would just move on to plan b and give up on trying to get Davis. It cots too much IMO.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would just move on to plan b and give up on trying to get Davis. It cots too much IMO.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. But I think the Lakers are still going to try.

If they can get AD and add a Kyrie or Jimmy Butler though. That's a tough combo to beat.

But doing something like a trade for Beal and sign a Vucevic or Boogie should allow them to keep at least 2 of Lonzo, Ingram, Kuz and Hart.

That #4 pick does help them to have several options to significantly improve the team. Hopefully they don't screw it up.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, long time Laker fan, just don't post much here. IMO, as long as Lebron is a Laker, I doubt any big time FA will come to Lakers. Don't think they will want to play second fiddle to James. I think the sooner Lebron is gone the better for the Lakers

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, long time Laker fan, just don't post much here. IMO, as long as Lebron is a Laker, I doubt any big time FA will come to Lakers. Don't think they will want to play second fiddle to James. I think the sooner Lebron is gone the better for the Lakers
That is not true. AD for one wants to come here. That is a bull shit media narrative. You sound like another lebron hater. Lebron is not the problem with the Lakers. Managment is and has been for the past six years.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not true. AD for one wants to come here. That is a bull shit media narrative. You sound like another lebron hater. Lebron is not the problem with the Lakers. Managment is and has been for the past six years.

I will agree with you somewhat, the front office is a dumpster fire. Poor drafts and I think Walton hire was a certain reach. But I still think that bringing in Lebron served no purpose or provide any positive results to building a team. That is what needs to be done, build a team that can grow and get back to what the Lakers used to be. It certainly is harder now to do that now, but I still don't know what Lebron adds to the team, he is not a "team" player. Again JMO.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I do agree that the best move for the Lakers is probably just to move to plan B. There have been reports that she isn't quite as dead set against it as some are making it appear.

In fact, there was another report that there is real fear among some NBA execs that we could see both Kyrie and AD joining Lebron on the Lakers.

Personally, unless the Celtics and Knicks pull or significantly lower their offers, I would rather the Lakers just move on.

If they don't lower their offers, then at least the Knicks and probably the Celtics (if they include Tatum) can still beat the Lakers offer. I'd rather they not waste precious time making an offer that isn't going to be accepted anyway.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard something interesting today.

A "Lakers insider", I forget the name (maybe Bill Oram?) was interviewed and was saying that the Lakers process has actually been more streamline than it appears from the outside.

Apparently, the Rambis' (the Rambi?) have always had a voice in the organization. The same with Joey and Jesse Buss. Same with Magic. This has apparently been going on since even when Dr. Buss was running things. It's always been a collaborative.

So, those folks all have a voice and have for years, but final decisions are being made by Pelinka and Jeanie.

Not sure I like the idea of Pelinka with that much power (would love to be wrong)...but at least it apparently isn't quite the "Keystone Kops" situation that it has appeared and been portrayed to be.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree with you somewhat, the front office is a dumpster fire. Poor drafts and I think Walton hire was a certain reach. But I still think that bringing in Lebron served no purpose or provide any positive results to building a team. That is what needs to be done, build a team that can grow and get back to what the Lakers used to be. It certainly is harder now to do that now, but I still don't know what Lebron adds to the team, he is not a "team" player. Again JMO.

Gotta disagree with this.

The Walton hire wasn't a reach. He was and still is considered a very good, up and coming young coach. The Lakers problem wasn't Walton or Lebron, it was injuries followed by the AD debacle. The Lakers were sitting in the #4 seed and considered ahead of schedule when the injuries started with losing both Lebron and Rondo on Christmas Day.

No one was complaining about Lebron or calling Luke a reach at that time.

No team can expect to win when they lose their best player for 27 games, 2 more starters for 30 and 32 games respectively and their backup point guard for 36 games (especially when one of the players that missed 30+ games was the starting point guard).

Also, Kuzma missed 12 games and Josh Hart missed 15 and was basically playing on 1 leg from the all star game on.

So, the top 6 players on the team miss a combined 152 games, but the Lakers are supposed to just keep winning anyway.

Add to that the AD debacle killing team chemistry and they are lucky they were able to top last years win total.

I'm certainly not saying that the FO has done a good job or that the Lakers don't have a lot of work to do.

But if they had at least some luck re: injuries, the season likely doesn't go sideways on them, the AD debacle likely doesn't happen, they are in the playoffs (or were lol) and they aren't being bashed like they are now.

Poor drafts? Ingram was playing at an all star level when he got hurt. Lonzo, while he definitely needs to work on his shot, has elite vision, elite passing skills and is an above average defender. He and Lebron looked like they were getting things figured out re: running the offense before the injuries hit. Kuzma and Hart are each considered the steal of their draft classes.

And lol @ Lebron not being a team player. He's literally been criticized for much of his career for being too much of a team player.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta disagree with this.

The Walton hire wasn't a reach. He was and still is considered a very good, up and coming young coach. The Lakers problem wasn't Walton or Lebron, it was injuries followed by the AD debacle. The Lakers were sitting in the #4 seed and considered ahead of schedule when the injuries started with losing both Lebron and Rondo on Christmas Day.

No one was complaining about Lebron or calling Luke a reach at that time.

No team can expect to win when they lose their best player for 27 games, 2 more starters for 30 and 32 games respectively and their backup point guard for 36 games (especially when one of the players that missed 30+ games was the starting point guard.

Also, Kuzma missed 12 games and Josh Hart missed 15 and was basically playing on 1 leg from the all star game on.

So, the top 6 players on the team miss a combined 152 games, but the Lakers are supposed to just keep winning anyway.

Add to that the AD debacle killing team chemistry and they are lucky they were able to top last years win total.

I'm certainly not saying that the FO has done a good job or that the Lakers don't have a lot of work to do.

But if they had at least some luck re: injuries, the season likely doesn't go sideways on them, the AD debacle likely doesn't happen, they are in the playoffs (or were lol) and they aren't being bashed like they are now.

Poor drafts? Ingram was playing at an all star level when he got hurt. Lonzo, while he definitely needs to work on his shot, has elite vision, elite passing skills and is an above average defender. He and Lebron looked like they were getting things figured out re: running the offense before the injuries hit. Kuzma and Hart are each considered the steal of their draft classes.

And lol @ Lebron not being a team player. He's literally been criticized for much of his career for being too much of a team player.

This guy can't be objective because of his hate for Lebron. I just keep it moving can't have an actual informed debate with folks like that.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't know what Lebron adds to a team, you have not watch basketball for the past 17 years. SMH

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy can't be objective because of his hate for Lebron. I just keep it moving can't have an actual informed debate with folks like that.

Yeah, that's true.

You know, I gotta say, I knew that the Lakers got hit bad with injuries. But I didn't realize how bad until I wrote that post and actually did the math.

152 games missed by their top 6 players.

That's insane.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard something interesting today.

A "Lakers insider", I forget the name (maybe Bill Oram?) was interviewed and was saying that the Lakers process has actually been more streamline than it appears from the outside.

Apparently, the Rambis' (the Rambi?) have always had a voice in the organization. The same with Joey and Jesse Buss. Same with Magic. This has apparently been going on since even when Dr. Buss was running things. It's always been a collaborative.

So, those folks all have a voice and have for years, but final decisions are being made by Pelinka and Jeanie.

Not sure I like the idea of Pelinka with that much power (would love to be wrong)...but at least it apparently isn't quite the "Keystone Kops" situation that it has appeared and been portrayed to be.

Yeah, I highly doubt that. I trust the respected NBA reporters with years of reputation a lot more than that. They all just didn't decide to gang up on the Lakers for being a clownshow for no reason. It looks like a mess on the outside because its an actual mess.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I highly doubt that. I trust the respected NBA reporters with years of reputation a lot more than that. They all just didn't decide to gang up on the Lakers for being a clownshow for no reason. It looks like a mess on the outside because its an actual mess.

I don't know. I kind of doubt it myself. But it does make a certain amount of sense. The Lakers have always been pretty quiet about what goes on internally. It's just a lot harder now with social media and 24/7 news cycles.

As for ganging up on the Lakers. You just posted a tweet where Gayle Benson has denied the "over my dead body" reports that literally everyone has been reporting as fact.

Maybe she's lying? Or maybe someone wrote a story (I've heard it was an old quote) and people ran with it? Or, maybe that's how she feels but David Griffin explained to her that if she wants to have a winning team, she needs to be willing to deal with teams she doesn't like sometimes if it can help her team?

I'm not saying the Lakers FO is running smoothly or that they don't need to look at changing their way of doing things and I sure as hell don't feel comfortable with Pelinka in charge. But I also know that these days everyone is looking for clicks and will take a story someone else wrote and embellish it looking to have the "hottest take". And the Lakers are the most guaranteed click bait in the league. Especially if the story is negative.

Having said that, where there's smoke, there's usually fire. My guess is that things aren't quite as bad as some in the media want to portray it, but it's also not as good as the Lakers want folks to think.

End of the day, if they are able to add a top player or 2 in the off-season...no one will be talking about what's wrong with the Lakers. lol

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago is interested in trading the 7th pick for Ball....