• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Los Angeles Lakers Off-Season Thread

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. He's wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. Even great head coaches have been first time head coaches somewhere.

What matters is...can he coach, can he get the players to buy in? If he can do that, it won't matter how much experience he has.

Having said that...if we didn't have Lebron, he might be my first choice. But we do, which drops him to 3rd because of the lack of HC experience.
I agree. If we did not have Lebron, he may be a good coach. You cannot have this team helmed by a rookie coach.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. If we did not have Lebron, he may be a good coach. You cannot have this team helmed by a rookie coach.

Agree. The one thing that might make it work is that Howard knows Lebron and has played a season or 2 with him.

But playing alongside him and coaching him can be 2 different things.

Ty Lue has actually coached him and Lebron has shown that he will listen to him.

While Monty hasn't coached Lebron, he does have HC experience and is respected around the league.

Not saying Howard isn't respected, he is...but he just has no HC experience.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard on Dan Patrick that Woj is reporting that Monty Williams is finalizing a deal to be the head coach of the Suns.

Looks like the Lakers will be getting Ty Lue.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where coaching careers go to die.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lue is the guy since Williams whiffed on the Lakers for an even greater dumpster fire, the Phoenix Suns.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lue is the guy since Williams whiffed on the Lakers for an even greater dumpster fire, the Phoenix Suns.
I wonder if the Lakers even offered Monte.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give him 2 years. Talk about tanking. They are trying to perfect the "Process"

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Kevin Love talking about Lue. Love said that Lue is actually very good with the X's and O's.

When ex-players become coaches, the X's and O's is always a concern, imo. It seems like Lue s taken the time to learn them. That makes me a little more confident that this hire (assuming it happens) will be good.

It's also said that he isn't afraid to speak up to Lebron or get on him during film sessions.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, we drafted Lue as a player when Phil was still around and he ended-up on Phil's staff as a coach. He does have those intangibles that probably made the transition from Williams to himself as the next coach easy. He does command respect and he doesn't let LeBron try to run the franchise, be a coach, and a player all at once. Dude has some hutzpah and he should be an upgrade over Luke.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, we drafted Lue as a player when Phil was still around and he ended-up on Phil's staff as a coach. He does have those intangibles that probably made the transition from Williams to himself as the next coach easy. He does command respect and he doesn't let LeBron try to run the franchise, be a coach, and a player all at once. Dude has some hutzpah and he should be an upgrade over Luke.
Luke is better for a team like Sac. Less pressure.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know if I would go as far as to say that he's better than Luke. I think that if the Lakers don't win a title with Lebron here, they will end up regretting losing Luke.

Having said that, I think that as far as X's and O's, Del Harris was a better coach than Phil. But Harris couldn't get Shaq and Kobe to buy in like Phil did, so Harris had to go.

I think Luke is probably a better coach than Lue and that the Lakers should have backed Luke the way Riley backed Spo when Lebron was in Miami.

But considering how things went during the season and how important this coming off-season is going to be, they probably didn't need to be getting into a stare down with their star player. Especially when there is a coach available that they know Lebron will listen to.

Additionally, I don't know if the Lakers were aware of the Kelli Tennant accusations at the time Luke left, but if he was still the coach, those would add more uncertainty to the off-season.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I would go as far as to say that he's better than Luke. I think that if the Lakers don't win a title with Lebron here, they will end up regretting losing Luke.

Having said that, I think that as far as X's and O's, Del Harris was a better coach than Phil. But Harris couldn't get Shaq and Kobe to buy in like Phil did, so Harris had to go.

I think Luke is probably a better coach than Lue and that the Lakers should have backed Luke the way Riley backed Spo when Lebron was in Miami.

But considering how things went during the season and how important this coming off-season is going to be, they probably didn't need to be getting into a stare down with their star player. Especially when there is a coach available that they know Lebron will listen to.

Additionally, I don't know if the Lakers were aware of the Kelli Tennant accusations at the time Luke left, but if he was still the coach, those would add more uncertainty to the off-season.
What has luke shown you that Lue has not??? Lue has a title.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has luke shown you that Lue has not??? Lue has a title.

lol

Lue has a title because he coached Lebron, Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving, Steph Curry wasn't 100% and Draymond Green is an idiot.

If Luke coached that team in that situation, he'd have a title too.

The Lakers improved every season under Luke despite having a bunch of kids and castoffs on 1 year deals.

So, what I've seen is Luke actually coach and have players improve under him while seeing Lue win a title with a team that probably wins with you or I as head coach.

I'm not saying Lue can't coach, he may very well be able to. Most Cleveland fans seem to think he's at least decent. But as of right now, his greatest asset as a coach is that Lebron will listen to him. That will be enough as long as Lebron continues to play at a high level.

It's not a knock on Lue either. As a coach, Phil was average at best and the offense he's famous for wasn't even his. But he was able to get players like MJ, Pippen, Rodman, Shaq and Kobe to listen to him and buy in and it got him 11 rings.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever seen a worst exit strategy then Magic's???

Disbelieving LeBron 'stunned' by Magic's exit

I understand why Magic did it the way he did. But I don't agree with it and think it was about the worst possible way to do it.

I get that he figured Jeanie would talk him out of it. Lebron probably would have tried as well. But, imo, if you're really convinced that you are making the right decision, no one should be able to talk you out of it.

I lost a good bit of a respect for Magic and if the reports that this was over e-mails criticizing his performance are true, I've lost even more respect for him.

Wants to take all of the praise and credit for landing Lebron, but can't take some heat when some of his decisions get criticized. I mean, welcome to life as an NBA executive. That's how it works. You get praised for the moves that work and criticized for the ones that don't. If you can't handle it, fine.

But you don't just up and quit with no notice and leave the franchise that you supposedly love scrambling to find a replacement going into the most important off-season they've had since probably the one where they got Shaq and Kobe.

About the only positive thing I can say is that he did it early enough for them to find a replacement before FA.

I hate writing all of that too. Magic is my all time favorite athlete from any sport. He already was, but the way he handled turning down giving my Mom an autograph when she saw him in public one time, pretty much cemented it. Handled it with true class.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 1,0000%!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is so much chatter in and around LA and along with all of the debacles that surrounded the Lakers and the league's FO's feelings toward Pelinka this past year, the on-going the end result is potential FAs like Klay Thompson have stated that they'd play for the Clip-Joint before the Lakers. KD is sending out sentiments that he'd play somewhere else as well and Kawhi has made known the same sentiment. SO, the end result, is at least among the league, the Lakers are a dumpster fire to be avoided on a number of levels.

I think the Lakers should start fresh. Hire Lue, hire their POBO ASAP, and get on with the draft because they are going to be in the lottery. Lose this notion that signing some more big name FAs this summer is the way to a championship. It ain't happening per the reasons previously stated AS, I have continually stated all along, they are not going to get many, if any, top tier FA's this year because all of the above until they clean-up their league-wide rep.

If I were Jeanine (and I am not) I would move on from Pelinka and Magic as the latter is hanging around as a consultant to the Lakers and basically playing and having fun which is what Magic wanted to do all along. Clean-up the front office by hiring reputable championship-building, executives who will end this incessant cloud hanging over young players that they could traded at any moment for some big-namer. Get on with building a solid team based on talent and youth and add an available FA when they become available and want to play for the Lakers. Otherwise, focus on bringing in more talent TO KEEP.