• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They knew this was accomplishing nothing and was impacting their bank accounts. This is basically an empty gesture (sitting out yesterday).

I'm sure that when Michelle Roberts explained the full potential economic impact of not finishing the season, many players changed their tune.

That's why I said yesterday when all of this started that I didn't think they were looking at that aspect yet.

I disagree that it's an empty gesture. At the very least, a helluva a lot of people have been talking about this and some folks, including former players, have been expressing their feelings as well.

Additionally, there is supposed to be a meeting today among the owners and the league...I would assume to discuss what more they can do to help the social justice cause. It seems that one of the things the players want is more involvement from ownership and the league itself.

So, at the least, even more conversation has taken place and at best we will now have the owners and the league involved in working with the players to address some of these issues.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure that when Michelle Roberts explained the full potential economic impact of not finishing the season, many players changed their tune.

That's why I said yesterday when all of this started that I didn't think they were looking at that aspect yet.

I disagree that it's an empty gesture. At the very least, a helluva a lot of people have been talking about this and some folks, including former players, have been expressing their feelings as well.

Additionally, there is supposed to be a meeting today among the owners and the league...I would assume to discuss what more they can do to help the social justice cause. It seems that one of the things the players want is more involvement from ownership and the league itself.

So, at the least, even more conversation has taken place and at best we will now have the owners and the league involved in working with the players to address some of these issues.

I say it's empty because if you're going down this path, you better follow through. Hasn't even been 24 hours and they've changed their course because in the end it would only impact them. We were already talking about the ongoing social justice discussions.

In terms of wanting the owners more involved, what else do they want. I'm sure everybody is fully aware including politicians on what's going on. The problem is, no one has outlined a reasonable guide on what they want done. I just see outrage and boycotting and posing for pictures with slogans on the back of jerseys. The only reasonable content I've seen in terms of things that need to change are literally on this particular thread.

It's so easy to be outraged - it's the popular thing to do now. But has anyone said, hey, let's go do X? Let's go meet with X? The answer is a resounding no.

And in general, my stance is that of there are problems in the world but it's not as outlandish as the public out cry would like you to believe. Lebron saying that police are literally hunting black people and that the system is designed to prevent black people from succeeding is crap.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Added PG points and ML Clippers. Lou Will going to be the reason why I don't win
12 points from top spot in the big GPP (and had the 2 people I needed to switch in a different lineup). Would have split with a ton of people, but 3k is 3k. Oh well.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do not often agree with Kendrick Perkins but think he nailed it (apologies if mentioned already). said the players are making a mistake. If they go away, they give the racists what they want. If they stay and play with the BLM signs its the right move. What I agree most with was he said they needed a plan and didn't really have one.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the Heat can continue our run to the finals

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Confirmed unarmed black persons, men and women are killed at about a rate of 15 per year.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Confirmed unarmed black persons, men and women are killed at about a rate of 15 per year.

Sounds about right. Now, take that number, and find those that were without a shadow of doubt (not resting arrest, no reason to be stopped/pulled over, where officer is clear at fault) in the right and that number is less. Hardly a system that is hunting down minority groups.

And for the record, those cops that actually abuse their power should be tried by the fullest extent of the law. My stance is more how PC this thing has reached.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it’s just a matter of time til an owner or someone speaks out. The playoffs are where the owners make their money.

Most of them have spoken out in favor of the players actions. Not a single one has opposed them.

wait for it

Not happening

You both could be correct here.

We don't honestly know what these owners think. Some may disagree with what the players are doing or may be getting fed up with what's going on or may think that the players have too much power.

If there are any thinking that way, they have been smart enough so far to either say the right things or just keep their mouths shut.

Having said that, this is a league that has had Donald Sterling as an owner and currently has James Dolan as an owner.

Heck, the Indiana Pacers just fired their head coach about 2 weeks after giving him an extension.

So the possibility that some owner will say something incredibly stupid that sets off another firestorm can't be ruled out.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat not playing for another week and my comment wasn't team specific. Unless these players plan on all never playing basketball again, this is a stupid decision. This boycott wont change anything except for hurt the nba in the long run especially if it leads to the season getting canceled
Exactly...most of the people they need to reach don't care about the NBA and/or what their players think.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They knew this was accomplishing nothing and was impacting their bank accounts. This is basically an empty gesture (sitting out yesterday).

I'd like to know exactly what the owners reaction was when the games weren't played yesterday. A stoppage also impacts their bank accounts.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of wanting the owners more involved, what else do they want. I'm sure everybody is fully aware including politicians on what's going on. The problem is, no one has outlined a reasonable guide on what they want done. I just see outrage and boycotting and posing for pictures with slogans on the back of jerseys. The only reasonable content I've seen in terms of things that need to change are literally on this particular thread.

From what I have seen, right now, if there is work taking place in some of the areas that these guys come from, it's usually done by the player himself with help from other sources...but don't necessarily have any team or NBA involvement.

Just as an example...Lebron set up a school in his hometown for underprivileged kids. What if the Cavs had gotten involved with that? Could they, along with Lebron, have set up more of these schools throughout Ohio?

Or what if he wanted to the same in LA? Perhaps getting the Lakers involved enables to him to open more than one.

Perhaps getting the league involved, enables him to open a few in cities throughout the country?

Or, what about players who don't have Lebron's level of fame and wealth, but want to do something in their communities? Perhaps adding the clout of the team they play for and/or the league allows them to make a bigger impact?

Right now, from within the bubble, outrage, boycotting and pictures with slogans is really all they have to be heard. What I'll be interested in seeing is what these players do when they are out of the bubble.

Do they go home and just chill with their families and prepare for the next season...or do they start putting themselves out there and really working to change things?

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this should stop right now. All these guys need to get in the inner cities and work WITH law enforcement for the greater good. Anyone can just take their toys and go home and bitch. Any solution that does not involve greater cooperation with law enforcement in one way or another is only going to get more of these people killed. Is that really that hard to see?

"Yes...absolutely! And might I say, you're not very educated on this!!" - signed LeBron James

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The owners and the commissioner (almost to a fault) have been very lenient and flexible with the players. In the end, you know what helps bring people together? Sports. That divide grows more and more each day.
Kind of wish they told the Bucks don't come out and you forfeit. Follow through with that and other games might have been played.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say it's empty because if you're going down this path, you better follow through. Hasn't even been 24 hours and they've changed their course because in the end it would only impact them. We were already talking about the ongoing social justice discussions.

It's so easy to be outraged - it's the popular thing to do now. But has anyone said, hey, let's go do X? Let's go meet with X? The answer is a resounding no.

And in general, my stance is that of there are problems in the world but it's not as outlandish as the public out cry would like you to believe. Lebron saying that police are literally hunting black people and that the system is designed to prevent black people from succeeding is crap.

I agree with most of this. Much of what is being said is rhetoric that is overblown, meant to be dramatic and really doesn't help the conversation.

When people say things like Lebron said, they lose me because they are trying to make it seem like there are cops spending their shifts driving around looking for minorities to shoot. Or that cops are out doing drive by shootings. In virtually every case of a police involved shooting, there is some form of resisting arrest that takes place and that's regardless of skin color.

I also have no time for the people that try to downplay everything and act like there's nothing that needs to change on the side of the police.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok... back to talking about Luka Doncic...

Sports unites...