• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's incredibly ignorant, Heatles

Do you have proof that they are? I guarantee that you'll find a very low percentage of players are proactively spending time in their communities actually helping out. It's not ignorance, it's cold honesty/reality.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, clearly the attention mongering has not been working in the NBA's favor and/or received the desired result. I asked why not be more proactive in your community and come up with an actual plan since they decided to go down this path, you know, have goals. You responded with "they play basketball". These are merely your words, I'm just responding.
You're responding with an agenda. Let's be honest. You think the whole issue is overblown and that the players should shut up. You are tired of hearing these grievances and wish you didn't have to deal with it.

So you present a false choice of "if they complain they need to have a 12 point detailed plan for fixing one of the most intractable problems in history, and have it done before the playoffs end". You don't even realize how much the players already give back to their communities.

So maybe you and I aren't going to have a productive discussion on this topic.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have proof that they are? I guarantee that you'll find a very low percentage of players are proactively spending time in their communities actually helping out. It's not ignorance, it's cold honesty/reality.
You have no proof either. Again, you have your agenda, and it's very different from how I see the world. We should probably not get into it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say it's empty because if you're going down this path, you better follow through. Hasn't even been 24 hours and they've changed their course because in the end it would only impact them. We were already talking about the ongoing social justice discussions.

In terms of wanting the owners more involved, what else do they want. I'm sure everybody is fully aware including politicians on what's going on. The problem is, no one has outlined a reasonable guide on what they want done. I just see outrage and boycotting and posing for pictures with slogans on the back of jerseys. The only reasonable content I've seen in terms of things that need to change are literally on this particular thread.

It's so easy to be outraged - it's the popular thing to do now. But has anyone said, hey, let's go do X? Let's go meet with X? The answer is a resounding no.

And in general, my stance is that of there are problems in the world but it's not as outlandish as the public out cry would like you to believe. Lebron saying that police are literally hunting black people and that the system is designed to prevent black people from succeeding is crap.

The only path players agreed upon was temporarily postponing games. They discussed more, but there is no lack of follow through here because they never said they were going to stop the season.

I have outline a reasonable guide.

Push legislators to change police guidelines making it a lot harder to get away with shooting unarmed citizens.

That is a first step.

There are many more relating to police training, union handling, etc.

And yes, good cops should also be paid more.

Forget defunding, we need to invest more to attract better people and train then up to fit the times.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're responding with an agenda. Let's be honest. You think the whole issue is overblown and that the players should shut up. You are tired of hearing these grievances and wish you didn't have to deal with it.

So you present a false choice of "if they complain they need to have a 12 point detailed plan for fixing one of the most intractable problems in history, and have it done before the playoffs end". You don't even realize how much the players already give back to their communities.

On your first paragraph, absolutely.

On your second, I want a plan. I keep hearing, we're taking this stance to bring attention to social injustice. You have attention, what's your next plan? *Crickets*. And now there's further postering and attention seeking that dilutes your overall message. And can you expand on what players give back to their communities.

And your last message - that's why I rarely dive into politics. In the end, both parties are going to be more entrenched in their opinion.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would literally be NBA suicide for an owner to speak out against the players right now.

They might never land a preferred free agent again if they did.
Most of them are down with the players. The ones who aren't would never say so publicly.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only path players agreed upon was temporarily postponing games. They discussed more, but there is no lack of follow through here because they never said they were going to stop the season.

I have outline a reasonable guide.

Push legislators to change police guidelines making it a lot harder to get away with shooting unarmed citizens.

That is a first step.

There are many more relating to police training, union handling, etc.

And yes, good cops should also be paid more.

Forget defunding, we need to invest more to attract better people and train then up to fit the times.

I agree. I'll take it a step further, I think raises should be set across the board. With that, comes higher requirements (some semblance of a college education) more focus on training. Defunding the police is an absolutely atrocious idea, as you said.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the only choices are shut up and dribble or be MLK?

Not necessarily.

But if you are going to make the noise that NBA players are making, then it seems that they should be doing something more than just saying words.

I am told that it's not enough for me to not be a racist...I have to be "anti-racist".

I am told that it's not enough for me to speak up against police brutality or inequality...I have to "do something" about it.

I don't think it's unfair to say these players need to do the same. Especially since, with their platform and money, they are in a far better position to actually do something that means something.

I don't expect them to shut up and dribble. I also don't expect them to be MLK. But I do expect them to do more than just say words and hold sports hostage while demanding that others do something.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily.

But if you are going to make the noise that NBA players are making, then it seems that they should be doing something more than just saying words.

I am told that it's not enough for me to not be a racist...I have to be "anti-racist".

I am told that it's not enough for me to speak up against police brutality or inequality...I have to "do something" about it.

I don't think it's unfair to say these players need to do the same. Especially since, with their platform and money, they are in a far better position to actually do something that means something.

I don't expect them to shut up and dribble. I also don't expect them to be MLK. But I do expect them to do more than just say words and hold sports hostage while demanding that others do something.

A thousand times this.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily.

A lot of them are doing something.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of them are doing something.

I know they are. I'm also sure that many of those that aren't yet...will be once they're out of the bubble.

That brings up another point.

For those that are doing something...I'd like to know what they are doing. Is there a way folks can help?

Let folks know what you are doing and let them know how they can help. Is there a way to donate money? Time?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should they have a "plan"? They play basketball. They are outraged and want to make a statement. They're figuring shit out each day like the rest of us.
Maybe they didn't need to have a plan but for a statement like that you don't think it would be better to have some sort of plan or end goal?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they are. I'm also sure that many of those that aren't yet...will be once they're out of the bubble.

That brings up another point.

For those that are doing something...I'd like to know what they are doing. Is there a way folks can help?

Let folks know what you are doing and let them know how they can help. Is there a way to donate money? Time?

They definitely could use a better platform to communicate what they're doing

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the only choices are shut up and dribble or be MLK?
You were the one who was dismissive about them having a plan implying they were just bball players.

NBA players cannot have a plan of action for something like this?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that was really what he wanted I would agree....no need for a 12 point detailed plan. But maybe something.

And, I guess maybe there is something and we don't know but sure seems more like a seat of the pants idea.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 145,821.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would literally be NBA suicide for an owner to speak out against the players right now.

They might never land a preferred free agent again if they did.

I hear you but the CBA is going to be ripped up as a result of all this combined with Covid. The tv networks are going to make revisions based on what they thibk will happen. It may all work out, and it may get extremely ugly as well.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time an NBA exec got involved in a social issue the league pissed off the Chinese and Lebron kowtowed for a murderous, genocidal regime.

Lebron can walk his self-righteous ass out the door.

Your post gives me a chance to drop this gem in here...
ab5.jpg