• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure but you said it's like other jobs

I think his context was with re: to there being people who are bad at their job.

Obviously, when you consider the power that is given to a police officer the tools/weapons he has at their disposal to perform the job and what the consequences could result from someone not being good at their job...it is unlike any other job out there.

However, when you look at it from the perspective of "some people get hired that just turn out to not be very good their job," it is like other jobs.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure he only meant in the sense there are bad people at their jobs in most lines of work.

Not in customer service. Those people are always friendly and helpful.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok... back to talking about Luka Doncic...

Sports unites...

Great idea. Luka averages too many turnovers (4.3) and has a bad 3 point % (.316). The media has really overhyped him.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most of this. Much of what is being said is rhetoric that is overblown, meant to be dramatic and really doesn't help the conversation.

When people say things like Lebron said, they lose me because they are trying to make it seem like there are cops spending their shifts driving around looking for minorities to shoot. Or that cops are out doing drive by shootings. In virtually every case of a police involved shooting, there is some form of resisting arrest that takes place and that's regardless of skin color.

I also have no time for the people that try to downplay everything and act like there's nothing that needs to change on the side of the police.

I agree, and so we're in agreement, I believe there are some changes needed to be made particularly around prison reform and some changes in law enforcement.

The NBA and others just have no plan for this, that's my complaint. Everything is, I want attention without any action for improvement.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA and others just have no plan for this, that's my complaint. Everything is, I want attention without any action for improvement.

I think they are doing what they can from within the confines of the bubble. I don't agree with all they have done, but I do agree with most of it and that they are trying to do what they can.

As I posted earlier, I will be most interested to see what happens when they leave the bubble and can actually start going into communities to try to influence and create change.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to know exactly what the owners reaction was when the games weren't played yesterday. A stoppage also impacts their bank accounts.

Well, yes. But for the owners, for most of them anyway (sans Lakers off the top of my head), this isn't their principal income. And until a couple of years ago, some owners were losing money.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are doing what they can from within the confines of the bubble. I don't agree with all they have done, but I do agree with most of it and that they are trying to do what they can.

As I posted earlier, I will be most interested to see what happens when they leave the bubble and can actually start going into communities to try to influence and create change.

Well, when that bubble's done and they go back in the public, it'll be interesting if that's the case - do they gear up for next season and spend times with family? Or are actually proactive in their communities going forward.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, and so we're in agreement, I believe there are some changes needed to be made particularly around prison reform and some changes in law enforcement.

Why should they have a "plan"? They play basketball. They are outraged and want to make a statement. They're figuring shit out each day like the rest of us.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, when that bubble's done and they go back in the public, it'll be interesting if that's the case - do they gear up for next season and spend times with family? Or are actually proactive in their communities going forward.
You don't think they help their communities now?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure that when Michelle Roberts explained the full potential economic impact of not finishing the season, many players changed their tune.

That's why I said yesterday when all of this started that I didn't think they were looking at that aspect yet.

I disagree that it's an empty gesture. At the very least, a helluva a lot of people have been talking about this and some folks, including former players, have been expressing their feelings as well.

Additionally, there is supposed to be a meeting today among the owners and the league...I would assume to discuss what more they can do to help the social justice cause. It seems that one of the things the players want is more involvement from ownership and the league itself.

So, at the least, even more conversation has taken place and at best we will now have the owners and the league involved in working with the players to address some of these issues.

I don't see it as an empty gesture. I saw no ssue with some postponements. If anything it helps some teams heal up a little bit and also sends a message.

I loved what Jaylen Brown said. Challenging them to actually do something instead of using this as an out if they really didn't go back.

Something about that kid I really like.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should they have a "plan"? They play basketball. They are outraged and want to make a statement. They're figuring shit out each day like the rest of us.

Well, they've decided to thrust themselves into this situation. They equate themselves to what MLK did back in the 60's. The discernible difference is that MLK had a plan and goals. The NBA took the stance of lets get people talking about this thinking that slogans and hand-holding was going to make changes - then are disappointed and shocked that nothing from their perception changed.

You mention that they play basketball and that's it. I'm of the assumption that you don't agree with the shut up and dribble stance then either - so which is it?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they've decided to thrust themselves into this situation. They equate themselves to what MLK did back in the 60's. The discernible difference is that MLK had a plan and goals. The NBA took the stance of lets get people talking about this thinking that slogans and hand-holding was going to make changes - then are disappointed and shocked that nothing from their perception changed.

You mention that they play basketball and that's it. I'm of the assumption that you don't agree with the shut up and dribble stance then either - so which is it?
So the only choices are shut up and dribble or be MLK?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, while I understand people saying they need to have a plan. I thought that was the point of the meetings they've been having.

From what I've read, those meetings weren't just about whether or not they should resume the season...but also what they should do in the event they do resume the season and when they should do if they don't.

Can't really have a plan until you've met to discuss what the plan should be.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, while I understand people saying they need to have a plan. I thought that was the point of the meetings they've been having.

From what I've read, those meetings weren't just about whether or not they should resume the season...but also what they should do in the event they do resume the season and when they should do if they don't.

Can't really have a plan until you've met to discuss what the plan should be.
Some people just want to be angry at the players and will use unfair justifications for their anger. Or if not angry, dismissive.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 145,821.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people just want to be angry at the players and will use unfair justifications for their anger. Or if not angry, dismissive.

and perhaps they would react the exact same way regardless of what occupation chose to bitch without offering any real help. I would bet it all on the fact that things would be much different if it was mid season.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the only choices are shut up and dribble or be MLK?

Well, clearly the attention mongering has not been working in the NBA's favor and/or received the desired result. I asked why not be more proactive in your community and come up with an actual plan since they decided to go down this path, you know, have goals. You responded with "they play basketball". These are merely your words, I'm just responding.