• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, and that doesn’t happen until a hell of a lot more people are able to look at what is going on and come to reasonable conclusions based on the facts. All cops are not good people, and not all of the people getting hurt are completely innocent either.

Exactly. And the players are saying let's do something dramatic and help get these conversations going. The protests in the streets apparently weren't enough.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 145,821.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't they have to stop playing to go do that?

they have already done that. So now that they have done that go show everyone really how serious they are. Either try to be part of the solution by taking my suggestion or go get riot gear on themselves and get ready for the revolution. That’s where this is headed if people don’t wise up.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear what you are saying, but cmon man.

Sports can’t be held hostage?

Yes they can.

Sports really aren’t that important in the grand scheme.

And I say that as someone who has devoted a far too large portion of my life to sports.

In principal, sure they can be held hostage. But the more that tactic is used, the more fans they will lose and the less money they will make.

There's nothing wrong with them making statements re: social justice, etc. but they also have to remember...basketball is not why they have what they have. People being willing to pay to watch them play basketball is why they have what they have.

If enough people decide they don't want to pay to watch them anymore, they no longer have those things or at least a lot less of them.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 145,821.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. And the players are saying let's do something dramatic and help get these conversations going. The protests in the streets apparently weren't enough.

the protests in the streets could not possibly be taken seriously because of the lawlessness and lack of responsibility.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear what you are saying, but cmon man.

Sports can’t be held hostage?

Yes they can.

Sports really aren’t that important in the grand scheme.

And I say that as someone who has devoted a far too large portion of my life to sports.

Sure they can. My point is you can't continuously hold them hostage to further your cause.

You know what that does? Make more people less empathetic to your cause.

I'm not in any way shape or form more empathetic to systemic racism today than I was yesterday. In fact I am less empathetic.

And I think there is a tremendous amount of change that needs to happen still. But don't mess with my day and expect me to go "oh man you guys go" when I've been extremely supportive to this point.

The NBA will lose a lot of fans. I will promise you that. If they go on with this.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what's interesting. There are obviously a lot of folks who knew about the protests and were even sympathetic to them, but didn't give the issue much thought because it didn't really affect their lives. Now that they seem likely to cancel the playoffs about it, NBA junkies like bks will sit up and say "ok wow this shit is really affecting things".

Some will bail on the NBA. Some will actually become activated to push for change. The players seem willing to take that risk.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the protests in the streets could not possibly be taken seriously because of the lawlessness and lack of responsibility.

So maybe this will help.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In principal, sure they can be held hostage. But the more that tactic is used, the more fans they will lose and the less money they will make.

There's nothing wrong with them making statements re: social justice, etc. but they also have to remember...basketball is not why they have what they have. People being willing to pay to watch them play basketball is why they have what they have.

If enough people decide they don't want to pay to watch them anymore, they no longer have those things or at least a lot less of them.

When has this tactic ever been used before?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure they can. My point is you can't continuously hold them hostage to further your cause.

I'm not in any way shape or form more empathetic to systemic racism today than I was yesterday. In fact I am less empathetic.

And I think there is a tremendous amount of change that needs to happen still. But don't mess with my day and expect me to go "oh man you guys go" when I've been extremely supportive to this point.

The NBA will lose a lot of fans. I will promise you that. If they go on with this.

This is the risk they are willing to take. People like you who don't give a shit about anything that doesn't intrude on their day now have to decide if they want to care or if they want to give up a sport.

You've been "supportive" because it didn't mean you had to give anything up. Now that things you care about are affected, instead of waking you up to say "ok this is a big deal" you say "fuck this, your cause is annoying me"

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 145,821.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if we get called out for discussing this it was nice knowing some of you. See you on the other side

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that is all fine,

but at some point, if forced to choose between playing basketball and fighting for justice,

More than a few of these guys will pick justice. It is that important to them.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My next question is whats the actual plan?

The make the statement. But for how long?

They going to wait for 3 consecutive years of no cops shooting people of color?? One of the biggest driving forces for change is having an actual plan.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's what makes this so interesting, they seem willing to take the risk of losing fans and money over this.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My next question is whats the actual plan?

The make the statement. But for how long?

They going to wait for 3 consecutive years of no cops shooting people of color?? One of the biggest driving forces for change is having an actual plan.

The conversation has to start somewhere. This might get the attention of people with real juice like NBA owners. Eventually enough big shots say "ok what needs to happen specifically" and then maybe some things happen.

It's not easy. Real change never is.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, and that doesn’t happen until a hell of a lot more people are able to look at what is going on and come to reasonable conclusions based on the facts. All cops are not good people, and not all of the people getting hurt are completely innocent either.

Unfortunately both sides always play the extremes. Facts can be contorted to fit every narrative on the spectrum. I always live with the mantra that I have no idea what it's like to be you and you have no idea what it's like to be me.

I'm against gun confiscation because even through I have no need for a gun at this present moment, I cannot imagine what it's like to be someone who lives in middle America where the nearest police help is 40 minutes away. I can't understand what it's like to live in that type of environment, therefore who am I to tell you how you should be able to live?

But on the flip side, no white person can understand what it's like to be a minority and be put in the situations on a daily basis to which they are scrutinized, marginalized and threatened. I'm Asian, the "model minority", live in a major city, in a very liberal area, and I've experienced so much racism in my life that no white person will ever experience. I cannot fathom how much harder it is for a black, latino, middle eastern person in my area, let alone in other parts of the country.

Didn't intend for this to be directly solely at you, but just because your post brought out my thoughts on this.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the risk they are willing to take. People like you who don't give a shit about anything that doesn't intrude on their day now have to decide if they want to care or if they want to give up a sport.

You've been "supportive" because it didn't mean you had to give anything up. Now that things you care about are affected, instead of waking you up to say "ok this is a big deal" you say "fuck this, your cause is annoying me"

That is a pretty major assumption. Why should I have to give up something to combat systemic racism? I combat it by being extremely fair to my employees (half of which are black) and giving those that exceed an opportunity to grow. Or just be there as someone they can talk to or rely on.

I'm not a cop. I'm not a judge. I'm not going to put myself in harm's way at these protests (which yes I've already been in the middle of one...no thanks to that again) to the point where my kid doesn't have a dad growing up.

I lend them an ear and promote their right to speak their mind when so much of this country is blasting these guys right to speak up.

So yes....when you hold my fandom hostage....you start to lose my support.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a pretty major assumption. Why should I have to give up something to combat systemic racism? I combat it by being extremely fair to my employees (half of which are black) and giving those that exceed an opportunity to grow. Or just be there as someone they can talk to or rely on.

I'm not a cop. I'm not a judge. I'm not going to put myself in harm's way at these protests (which yes I've already been in the middle of one...no thanks to that again) to the point where my kid doesn't have a dad growing up.

I lend them an ear and promote their right to speak their mind when so much of this country is blasting these guys right to speak up.

So yes....when you hold my fandom hostage....you start to lose my support.

I guess we know how far you are willing to go on this.

Speak up all you want but don't you dare stop dancing for me.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 145,821.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what's interesting. There are obviously a lot of folks who knew about the protests and were even sympathetic to them, but didn't give the issue much thought because it didn't really affect their lives. Now that they seem likely to cancel the playoffs about it, NBA junkies like bks will sit up and say "ok wow this shit is really affecting things".

Some will bail on the NBA. Some will actually become activated to push for change. The players seem willing to take that risk.

WAY too much credit there, they want to go home. Get out in the community, wotk with black law enforcement if you are too racist to work with all of them, try to do something truly positive and meaningful and you will have my support. Bitch and whine like you are and you get what you get. This is ALL of our problem and just bitching about it does nothing. I hear the term virtue signaling, this is yhat in its highest form.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what makes this so interesting, they seem willing to take the risk of losing fans and money over this.

lol

I'm not convinced they've factored that in yet. At least not all of them.

They're supposed to start their meeting right about now. I'm willing to bet that losing fans and making less money will be one of the points the players who want to keep playing will be making.