• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute. I thought the NBA off the court thread was for things not NBA related? Obviously not anymore.

The logistics of play resumption isn’t NBA related?

Interesting.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure seems like they'll have everything they need in their "bubble". Guessing they will be told how important it is to keep the season going to stay inside of it. will they adhere to the warnings? Can only hope.

My point is that many people, hotel support staff, etc will be inside that bubble too.

Are they being tested regularly?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only the technology existed to allow coaches to have input during a game without having to be on the sidelines. I don't know, like some kind of device that one could keep in their pocket, be able to connect to that coach and give and receive input in real time.

Or, if there were just some kind of facial covering that a coach could wear and/or if maybe there was a way to have a seat in the empty arena for that coach that is at least 6' away from everyone else.

exactly. If a coach is high risk they should be the one making the adjustments not the other way around. This is what is so screwy about the whole thing. Masks, social distancing, capacity restrictions etc are all things the public have rallied behind to help those that are high risk but at some point it makes a little sense to tell those folks they may have to take additional steps if they're concerned for their health.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it doesn’t.

I have never said I don’t think the season will finish. Not once.

But from what I have heard, their plan involves a fair amount of unnecessary risk that could be eliminated. And I want the season to finish so this frustrates me.

Yes, it does.

You're in here presenting doomsday scenarios and acting like you're somehow coming up with things that the NBA hasn't thought of like...how will they get food?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that many people, hotel support staff, etc will be inside that bubble too.

Are they being tested regularly?
and how would you run things in your college town option? How will they get food? Stay busy?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I'm sure the NBA won't be providing meals of any kind for the players. Thus, they'll be forced to go out into the city or risk starvation.

Yeah, I mean, it's not like it's a big complex with means of entertainment etc. besides just sitting in a hotel room.

Ok man.

You get my point. They aren’t prisoners. They can leave the hotel. And you are naive to think that some won’t.

The championship is only truly at stake for a small handful of teams. Why would an 22 year player for say the Magic be incentivized to take the same precautions that LeBron might?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok man.

You get my point. They aren’t prisoners. They can leave the hotel. And you are naive to think that some won’t.

The championship is only truly at stake for a small handful of teams. Why would an 22 year player for say the Magic be incentivized to take the same precautions that LeBron might?

Because he reads the news. Give them some agency here.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and how would you run things in your college town option? How will they get food? Stay busy?

Much the same way.

But I wouldn’t pick a commercial city in a state Whose governor has been notoriously fast and loose with Covid restrictions.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok man.

Would they be prisoners in your "midwestern college town" idea? How will they eat there? Would they be confined to rooms? No one will try to leave there where there are less ways to entertain?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much the same way.

But I wouldn’t pick a commercial city in a state Whose governor has been notoriously fast and loose with Covid restrictions.

The governor will have zero point zero to do with how the NBA runs this.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all are making way too much of my comment.

@msgkings322 is the one who is wrong here. And just a few weeks who he was willing to bet a lifetime ban that the Covid death toll would be under 100K.

My “doomsday” comments that you all keep picking apart are only in response to his overly optimistic, no chance of anything going wrong comments.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all are making way too much of my comment.

@msgkings322 is the one who is wrong here. And just a few weeks who he was willing to bet a lifetime ban that the Covid death toll would be under 100K.

My “doomsday” comments that you all keep picking apart are only in response to his overly optimistic, no chance of anything going wrong comments.
How am I wrong? I'm saying the season is going to finish. If it doesn't, then I'm wrong.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would they be prisoners in your "midwestern college town" idea? How will they eat there? Would they be confined to rooms? No one will try to leave there where there are less ways to entertain?

Getting pretty tired of the sarcasm.

2 points in favor of the midwestern college town:

1) less fun things to do that will temp players
2) you pick a town where virus numbers are extremely low and have leveled off. That is not Orlando.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, you have coached. These men are ridiculously competitive. Do you believe for 1 second, that any of these men would rely on digital communication instead of in person? Maybe on a non-contender.

Face masks are a possibility. I hope the coaches association And the NBA asks all coaches to wear them as a sign of solidarity. That would help.

Yes and I've coached in gyms where I could have easily been 6 feet away from my team if need be (and wanted to be a few times lol).

I also could have worn a mask if necessary.

Trainers are already required to wear gloves, adding a mask shouldn't be an issue.

Also, as everyone keeps reminding us, this is an unprecedented situation. So, I'm sure that, if they felt it's necessary, they would use measures that they'd rather not, just to keep themselves and others safe. Especially since it's temporary.

Most problematic would be head coaches, just because it would be more difficult without them. But even then, I'm sure they could find a solution that was at least workable.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think tlance gives enough credit to the players. They read the news too, I think very few and maybe none of them will want to do risky things for the few weeks involved.

People who work regular jobs that they complain about are chomping at the bit to get back to those jobs.

I'd guess that if your job is to play basketball, you want to get back to that even moreso and are less likely to do something to screw it up.

I'm not saying that won't happen, a lot of these guys are twenty somethings, but that's where the vets would hopefully step in.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly. If a coach is high risk they should be the one making the adjustments not the other way around. This is what is so screwy about the whole thing. Masks, social distancing, capacity restrictions etc are all things the public have rallied behind to help those that are high risk but at some point it makes a little sense to tell those folks they may have to take additional steps if they're concerned for their health.

Yeah, because of how much more contagious this is, I understood the locking things down to prevent hospitals being overrun. But we're well past that at this point.

Now it's time for people to start determining for themselves the level of risk they're willing to accept and acting accordingly.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically, this is about the NBA since the discussion is about whether or not the season will be finished and how best to accomplish it.

The other thread is mainly for the political stuff like the protests, riots, etc. so that those who prefer not to venture into the cesspool that is the PF, but still want to discuss it have someplace to do that.

Speaking of the season have they set a date yet for when the season will resume? All I've heard so far is sometime in July.