• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I have seen the flu kills roughly 40-60k per year I cannot say I've ever seen anything that broke down the deaths by age, whether it killed those with underlying conditions, etc.
I don't have data in front of me, surely an easy Google these days, but common sense says the flu is far more deadly to old people and compromised people, same as Covid

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute. I thought the NBA off the court thread was for things not NBA related? Obviously not anymore.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is that yes, they will be quarantined except among the folks "in the bubble". I don't think they'll be venturing out into the city. But don't know that for sure. I'm sure that at least they'll try to limit that as much as possible.

Apparently, they aren't even allowing families in until after the first round in order to keep the number of people there as low as possible.
this is what I've heard as well.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's ironic because I think it's you doing that. But again, whatever. It will be what it will be.

This whole thing started because you claimed the NBA season was a lock to finish. It isn’t. There is still a long way to go.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you in the sense I don't think anything would happen to force the season to stop again...but it's certainly not a crazy possibility.

I don’t think it will he stopped either. More likely than not to finish for sure. But like I keep trying to @msgkings322 it is very far from a lock.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have data in front of me, surely an easy Google these days, but common sense says the flu is far more deadly to old people and compromised people, same as Covid
Took a quick gander and tough to tell as most articles on the matter seem to have an agenda of some kind....but agree you are right would seem more likely that like COVID it is the elderly succumbing to seasonal flu.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole thing started because you claimed the NBA season was a lock to finish. It isn’t. There is still a long way to go.
I'm sticking to that claim

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless I'm reading your comments wrong, my question to you is why do you seem to think it's more than a remote chance something happens to cause the season to stop again?

agree with you saying no chance is extreme.

Because I don’t trust hundreds of 20 something players “at no risk to the themselves” to self quarantine effectively in a community where the virus case load seems to growing.

They have to eat, which means they will he exposed directly or indirectly to other people in the Orlando community. Unless support staff are kept in the bubble too, there will almost surely be some players who test positive at some point.

What is the number of positive tests that will cause Silver to shut things down? I have no idea. I doubt it is a number under 5, but we just don’t know. Will Silver allow the season to continue if 10 players/coaches test positive? 20?

At some point, if players are testing positive he will pull the plug. Your guess is as good as mine as to what that number is.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I read it wrong, but seems like they are quarantined from others outside the NBA people who are there, correct?

How are they getting food?

Are they confined to their hotel rooms when not playing/practicing?

Sorry, I don’t buy the idea that every player on every team will but into that idea. Some will take risks.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute. I thought the NBA off the court thread was for things not NBA related? Obviously not anymore.

Technically, this is about the NBA since the discussion is about whether or not the season will be finished and how best to accomplish it.

The other thread is mainly for the political stuff like the protests, riots, etc. so that those who prefer not to venture into the cesspool that is the PF, but still want to discuss it have someplace to do that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I don’t trust hundreds of 20 something players “at no risk to the themselves” to self quarantine effectively in a community where the virus case load seems to growing.

They have to eat, which means they will he exposed directly or indirectly to other people in the Orlando community. Unless support staff are kept in the bubble too, there will almost surely be some players who test positive at some point.

What is the number of positive tests that will cause Silver to shut things down? I have no idea. I doubt it is a number under 5, but we just don’t know. Will Silver allow the season to continue if 10 players/coaches test positive? 20?

At some point, if players are testing positive he will pull the plug. Your guess is as good as mine as to what that number is.
sure seems like they'll have everything they need in their "bubble". Guessing they will be told how important it is to keep the season going to stay inside of it. will they adhere to the warnings? Can only hope.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry, I don’t buy the idea that every player on every team will but into that idea. Some will take risks.
Same way we all get food ourselves, from restaurants taking precautions. Or better yet team chefs.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You continuing to hyper focus on the other side, also misses the overall picture.

No it doesn’t.

I have never said I don’t think the season will finish. Not once.

But from what I have heard, their plan involves a fair amount of unnecessary risk that could be eliminated. And I want the season to finish so this frustrates me.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it doesn’t.

But from what I have heard, their plan involves a fair amount of unnecessary risk that could be eliminated. And I want the season to finish so this frustrates me.
I think he means you overestimate the risks, similar to your claim that I underestimate them

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK, but every player on every team wont need to buy in for it to be successful.

and while I agree seems tough to get all to buy in I would imagine among them all they will be provided with food and entertainment to occupy them. Plus they will be playing games and practicing a lot I would think.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, I'm sure the NBA won't be providing meals of any kind for the players. Thus, they'll be forced to go out into the city or risk starvation.

Yeah, I mean, it's not like it's a big complex with means of entertainment etc. besides just sitting in a hotel room.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it doesn’t.

aren't you the one who said do it at a college town? Why do you think there is less chance people would stray there for entertainment? Might think more chance as less ways to entertain there than at the Disney complex.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only the technology existed to allow coaches to have input during a game without having to be on the sidelines. I don't know, like some kind of device that one could keep in their pocket, be able to connect to that coach and give and receive input in real time.

Or, if there were just some kind of facial covering that a coach could wear and/or if maybe there was a way to have a seat in the empty arena for that coach that is at least 6' away from everyone else.

First off, you have coached. These men are ridiculously competitive. Do you believe for 1 second, that any of these men would rely on digital communication instead of in person? Maybe on a non-contender.

Face masks are a possibility. I hope the coaches association And the NBA asks all coaches to wear them as a sign of solidarity. That would help.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I'm sure the NBA won't be providing meals of any kind for the players, thus forcing them out into the community.

Yeah, I mean, it's not like it's a big complex with means of entertainment etc. besides just sitting in a hotel room.
I don't think tlance gives enough credit to the players. They read the news too, I think very few and maybe none of them will want to do risky things for the few weeks involved.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I'm sure the NBA won't be providing meals of any kind for the players, thus forcing them out into the community.

That last one is what I don't get. Pretty sure Lance wants them in a college town where they'd have more reasons to try and "escape".