• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019/2020 OFF SEASON THREAD

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, great article. Maybe it’s different now or it went somewhere else but when I was working with the Rainiers. All of the players were paying unions dues (only knew because of the brash hotshots took everyone out and bragged about their contracts and that little dues thing was on my paystub too when I looked at their check) and when I worked in the field as a bat or ball boy I had to punch in a different code and paid into them as well. I assumed it went to the MLBPA, but maybe not. I didn’t care and none of the players ever said anything about it so I guess I don’t know where those dues went. I also figured the MLBPA objected to the contracting of minor league teams because of that. So I guess retract most of my premise. I tried googling so is it when someone is put on a 40 man their dues go to the MLBPA? I knew there were contradicting reports of the PA wanted MLB rosters expanded because of that but I just assumed when you are on a MLB contract you receive more money, hence a higher percentage of dues.

All I know is that it is no where as clear as I thought it was before now. I didn't realize there was such separation between levels. Crazy.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope or nope? What's next for six MLB bottom-dwellers
By Justin Mears | Last updated 3/2/20

MARINERS (AL West) | 2019 record: 68-94 | 2020 projection: 69-93

Why they stink: They got tired of being stuck in the middle and finally committed to a full scale rebuild. Over the past 18 months, the Mariners have traded big names Robinson Cano, Jean Segura, Edwin Diaz, Edwin Encarnacion, James Paxton, Jay Bruce, Alex Colome, Mike Zunino and Mike Leake. In return, Seattle got a horde of high upside young talent, headlined by OF Jarred Kelenic, pitchers Justus Sheffield, Taylor Guilbeau and Justin Dunn, 2B Shed Long, SS J.P. Crawford, OF Mallex Smithand catcher Tom Murphy. Those young guys, along with OF Kyle Lewis, 1B Evan White and whomever Seattle drafts at No. 6 overall this summer, will be tasked with eventually ending the longest postseason drought in American sports (18 years).

Silver lining: Unlike Miami, the Mariners really hit on some of their big trades. Particularly their Cano/Diaz swap with the Mets that landed Kelenic and Dunn. Their system is loaded with talent that most teams would envy. With all the drama the Astros have gone through lately, it's not hard to envision the AL West being up for grabs soon. Seattle is positioned to take advantage.

Will be competitive in ... 2022. Of all the teams listed here, Seattle is the closest. Their system is terrific, they have a GM (Jerry Dipoto) who's unafraid to make big trades, and their division is potentially the most up for grabs. Their position players are ahead of their pitchers, but if Dunn and Sheffield pan out. Seattle will have a good start.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is that it is no where as clear as I thought it was before now. I didn't realize there was such separation between levels. Crazy.

I would’ve figured there would be something crazy in there. I just always assumed what I said was completely factual. The way I read it though seems to be that MLB players actually have less leverage than NFL players do when it comes to a strike just the NFLPA has no balls to do it.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why they stink: They got tired of being stuck in the middle and finally committed to a full scale rebuild. Over the past 18 months, the Mariners have traded big names Robinson Cano, Jean Segura, Edwin Diaz, Edwin Encarnacion, James Paxton, Jay Bruce, Alex Colome, Mike Zunino and Mike Leake. In return, Seattle got a horde of high upside young talent, headlined by OF Jarred Kelenic, pitchers Justus Sheffield, Taylor Guilbeau and Justin Dunn, 2B Shed Long, SS J.P. Crawford, OF Mallex Smithand catcher Tom Murphy. Those young guys, along with OF Kyle Lewis, 1B Evan White and whomever Seattle drafts at No. 6 overall this summer, will be tasked with eventually ending the longest postseason drought in American sports (18 years).

Silver lining: Unlike Miami, the Mariners really hit on some of their big trades. Particularly their Cano/Diaz swap with the Mets that landed Kelenic and Dunn. Their system is loaded with talent that most teams would envy. With all the drama the Astros have gone through lately, it's not hard to envision the AL West being up for grabs soon. Seattle is positioned to take advantage.

Will be competitive in ... 2022. Of all the teams listed here, Seattle is the closest. Their system is terrific, they have a GM (Jerry Dipoto) who's unafraid to make big trades, and their division is potentially the most up for grabs. Their position players are ahead of their pitchers, but if Dunn and Sheffield pan out. Seattle will have a good start.

69-93 feels generous but thats fine. Just wanna be feeling good about the direction 6 months from now. But yeah they better be competitive in 2022

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2022? They get a pass for this season to give the young guys another year of seasoning but come 2021 we need to start seeing an up tick in the competitive department.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2022? They get a pass for this season to give the young guys another year of seasoning but come 2021 we need to start seeing an up tick in the competitive department.

2021 needs to at the very least be in the conversation for a wild card spot. And honestly thats probably being too nice. Any less we have a problem

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2021 needs to at the very least be in the conversation for a wild card spot. And honestly thats probably being too nice. Any less we have a problem

Agreed. If September baseball in 2021 becomes meaningless than changes need to be made in the FO.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That’s the goal for us fans. I’m not sure if it is 100% realistic but Jerry put that on himself. It took the Astros what 5 years (skip the cheating part). This will be the first real full tear down season IMO. The first 1/3 of last year I don’t think they were otherwise Santana would’ve been dealt.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s the goal for us fans. I’m not sure if it is 100% realistic but Jerry put that on himself. It took the Astros what 5 years (skip the cheating part). This will be the first real full tear down season IMO. The first 1/3 of last year I don’t think they were otherwise Santana would’ve been dealt.

God could you image if they would have started beating on garbage cans sooner, they would have two to three more titles!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God could you image if they would have started beating on garbage cans sooner, they would have two to three more titles!

Sure but it still took them year after year of bringing up top 10 prospects. Right now the Mariners have penciled in for top young guys is White and Lewis?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. Can't have it both ways

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like old school ..drive in movies
And tailgating..as an idea..at this point
Play..the games..buy an..hbo..ticket..
See..ya on..cable..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Electronic ...fans..sounds like a.sci fi..movie..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will..take a seattle..new york yankees .seireis to.pull it off

All ball players umpires..and crews..tested..of coarse..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But..the..highlight..of..the 2020
May be..the 2020..draft.

That said..the collage players.and.high school..are not playing..
Either...
So...seniors.( hs..and collage).
..must.be drafted..at least..

So..it must.be done..

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good points there. Lost season or not, I think most agree with me in that when good Free agents are available they need to make the most of it.

I just wonder if there is no baseball if they will roll over the contracts a year? Let's hope we don't have to find out.