• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019/2020 OFF SEASON THREAD

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During this whole rebuild process I keep remembering a comment Edgar had made a few years back about hitting and when the "light switch is flipped" for a big league hitter, 1500- 1600 at bats ( including the minors) now granted Mikey Z took that little comment and make it look foolish due to his piss poor attitude, but I went ahead to check current AB's for some of these guys :

JP Crawford : 2261 minors/ 532 MLB
Shed Long : 1861 minors/ 152 MLB
Kyle Lewis : 1089 minors/ 71 MLB
Brandon Bishop : 1668 minors / 56 MLB
Jake Fraley : 922 minors / 40 MLB
Evan White : 906 minors
Jarred Kelenic : 663 minors
Julio Rodriguez : 547 minors

Now of course there is no proven science with this so called thought process but it could be kinda cool to track and see who comes close.

Out of all these guys Rodriguez is the guy I think is going to be the best hitter out of all of them and most likely gets there faster with average and power due to the fact his swing is almost Junior like.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ROTOWORLD
shelby..miller ..signes..miner league deal..with..brewers..

Ahh..well..
One of my guys..down..

X

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle Mariners set to sign reliever Yoshihisa Hirano

by Ty Gonzalez5 hours ago Follow @danegnzlz
The Mariners are on the verge of adding another piece to their puzzle of a bullpen.

On the Seattle Times’ Extra Innings Podcast with Ryan Divish and Larry Stone, the former said he expects the Mariners to finalize a deal with right-handed relief pitcher Yoshihisa Hirano. The 35-year-old Hirano has only pitched two seasons in the United States and Major League Baseball, both with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

In that time, Hirano has logged 119.1 innings with a 3.85 FIP, averaging a little over a strikeout per inning and 3.39 BB/9. He mainly relies on two pitches, a splitter and four-seam fastball, and rarely ever utilizes his slider. The splitter was by far his best offering last year, limiting opposing hitters to a .239 wOBA and 39.6 whiff percentage.

The Mariners currently have 14 pitchers vying for roughly eight spots, though one could get the axe to make room for Hirano. Austin Adams will likely start the season on the injured list, which opens the door for more opportunity to those on the bubble. Hirano seems to be a safe bet to make it, joining Carl Edwards Jr. and Sam Tuivailala, which leaves five-ish spots left for the likes of Taylor Guilbeau, Matt Magill, Art Warren, and others to fight for in Spring Training.

If Hirano performs to the standard of his previous two seasons, there should be some interest in him on the trade market come this July. Given his age and the likelihood of his impending contract with the Mariners being of the one-year variety, there probably isn’t a question of whether or not he’ll stick.

NEXT: 5 free agents that make sense for the Mariners
Plus, at some point, the Mariners are likely to clean out a few spots in their bullpen for the expected arrivals of several of their top relief prospects, such as Sam Delaplane, Joey Gerber, Wyatt Mills, and Aaron Fletcher. Hirano is almost certainly a fill-in for the time being, but should provide value to Seattle over the course of the summer.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what doesn't make sense for the millionth time. Sign two oldies with little to no upside and release a 22 year old in a rebuild. Huh????/

Mariners designated LHP Ricardo Sanchez for assignment.
This move clears out a 40-man roster spot for reliever Yoshihisa Hirano, who officially signed a one-year contract with the Mariners on Thursday afternoon. Sanchez, 22, registered a 4.44 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, and 135/38 K/BB ratio over 146 innings (27 starts) last season at Double-A Arkansas.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not all that shakin up..
About sanchez ..
Although..the mariners could still use him at AA..
A few..major league pitchers is
What they..needed..and got..

And margevicius..so..im ..good with that..

Now

Lets see..the juggling act..
Cuz..i think..that is what it will be
This year
...lol..
Unfortunately..trades..at the deadline..may not be all that many

X

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what doesn't make sense for the millionth time. Sign two oldies with little to no upside and release a 22 year old in a rebuild. Huh????/

This move clears out a 40-man roster spot for reliever Yoshihisa Hirano, who officially signed a one-year contract with the Mariners on Thursday afternoon. Sanchez, 22, registered a 4.44 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, and 135/38 K/BB ratio over 146 innings (27 starts) last season at Double-A Arkansas.

No words man. It’s like Jerry is a bi polar GM. Doesn’t really matter if Sanchez turns out to be nothing. Best case scenario is next year Hirano gets a huge pay raise isn’t it? Instead of Sanchez who is only schedule to a be 24 year under team control when they are “ready”.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At some point this year I will stop smoking, put the pipe down and walk away from saying this "rebuild had to happen"

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No words man. It’s like Jerry is a bi polar GM. Doesn’t really matter if Sanchez turns out to be nothing. Best case scenario is next year Hirano gets a huge pay raise isn’t it? Instead of Sanchez who is only schedule to a be 24 year under team control when they are “ready”.

They are just bodies. Best case they look like something decent and you flip them and worst case they get DFAd around that same time. I dont really have an opinion either way. This year is basically a write off year with the hopes some these younger guys show they can stick.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are just bodies. Best case they look like something decent and you flip them and worst case they get DFAd around that same time. I dont really have an opinion either way. This year is basically a write off year with the hopes some these younger guys show they can stick.

But how does it make sense that you release a young guy to see if he could be ready? Without question it’s a throw away year and not saying I know the ins and outs of roster manipulation but it doesn’t make sense you’d put a younger guy on the 40 man just to remove him for a throw away year.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how does it make sense that you release a young guy to see if he could be ready? Without question it’s a throw away year and not saying I know the ins and outs of roster manipulation but it doesn’t make sense you’d put a younger guy on the 40 man just to remove him for a throw away year.

I just have to assume this Sanchez guy was just organizational depth at this point. I dont think everyone they had on their 40 had a future with the team necessarily. More speaks to the lack of major league depth they have right now which I guess is by design but we will see in the next day if he gets claimed or goes back to the organization. He must be the guy on there, they feel must have the least upside.
The idea must be to have a guy or two in the bullpen with some experience. Dip must think there is a better chance Hirano helps the organization through performance or prospect return in trade more then Sanchez ultimately will. I guess we will see.
Also we will see how Chen plays out since I think his deal is a minor league one. Figured a starter would make more then a reliever but we will see.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have to assume this Sanchez guy was just organizational depth at this point. I dont think everyone they had on their 40 had a future with the team necessarily. More speaks to the lack of major league depth they have right now which I guess is by design but we will see in the next day if he gets claimed or goes back to the organization. He must be the guy on there, they feel must have the least upside.
The idea must be to have a guy or two in the bullpen with some experience. Dip must think there is a better chance Hirano helps the organization through performance or prospect return in trade more then Sanchez ultimately will. I guess we will see.
Also we will see how Chen plays out since I think his deal is a minor league one. Figured a starter would make more then a reliever but we will see.

I don’t disagree with anything you are saying. It’s just a head scratcher I guess that Sanchez would even be on the 40 man if they didn’t have any hopes for him or at least wanted to see how he would’ve done in Tacoma this year.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree with anything you are saying. It’s just a head scratcher I guess that Sanchez would even be on the 40 man if they didn’t have any hopes for him or at least wanted to see how he would’ve done in Tacoma this year.

Yea I think for a reliever its a little more head scratching. I would have preferred them sign a starter of some kind. I dont like the idea of having Sheffield, Dunn and this random Graveman signing in the rotation with no real backup plan.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One casualty from signing a vet to eat innings and basically nothing else:

Phillies claimed RHP Reggie McClain off waivers from the Mariners.

McClain had been designated for assignment last week. The 27-year-old will try to win a spot in the Phillies' bullpen, although he has options left.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I think for a reliever its a little more head scratching. I would have preferred them sign a starter of some kind. I dont like the idea of having Sheffield, Dunn and this random Graveman signing in the rotation with no real backup plan.

I think is the year of the no big deal if there isn’t a backup plan. With Jerry’s 2021 plan, last year was suppose to be the throw away year while this year was suppose to suck the first 1/2 or 3/4 of the year but shows glimpses in the 2nd half. But not sure how it is possible when you don’t have a rotation of MLB starters. You have Marco, that’s it. Dunn hopefully will but he still probably is 1 year too early before you can depend on him. I know it’s too early but I’ve already given up on Kukuchi. Highly doubtful he reverses to entire Japanese pitching history where they are great at first then turn into mop up relievers.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think is the year of the no big deal if there isn’t a backup plan. With Jerry’s 2021 plan, last year was suppose to be the throw away year while this year was suppose to suck the first 1/2 or 3/4 of the year but shows glimpses in the 2nd half. But not sure how it is possible when you don’t have a rotation of MLB starters. You have Marco, that’s it. Dunn hopefully will but he still probably is 1 year too early before you can depend on him. I know it’s too early but I’ve already given up on Kukuchi. Highly doubtful he reverses to entire Japanese pitching history where they are great at first then turn into mop up relievers.

Acually..
The problem..all..along..

No.major league pitching..

Sense..they started..the rebuild
You ..had to..look deep..
But..
There was..no rotation..future

Almost..the only thing.they could
Have done.

Rebuild..focused..on pithching

You guys know..the rest
Traded paxton..and cano

And Hernandez..has been done
A few years now..

X

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think its still that kind of year but regarding individual players and not team W/L.
2021 is the year they need to be at least .500 and trending upwards.

But when this year ends I'd like to feel about guys like White, Long, Crawford, Lewis, Dunn, Sheffield, a couple bullpen guys and know that there are some long term solutions in that group and getting a peak at a few others.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy M's cut for an old, useless possible innings eater.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy M's cut for an old, useless possible innings eater.

There's no way Houston was still stealing signs last year right?
I mean they knew damn well MLB was starting to look at them for violations, they couldn't be the foolish