• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pulled them out of thin air.

But it's based on reality. Nashville has all but confirmed they made the move because NJ took the full salary and didn't send much back. They want to spend on UFAs (Duchene). Taking that in to account, Vegas, Arizona, Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Washington, Tampa, Dallas, Chicago, Detroit, Boston, Montreal, Toronto, San Jose, Calgary, Winnipeg and St. Louis can't afford Sbban when you take in to account the guys they have to re-sign. 16 teams out. I'm not sure what Colorado is up to, but they only have 13 guys signed for next year at this point, so they may not be able to afford him either. Ottawa, LA, and Anaheim are rebuilding, what need do they have for a 30 year old, $9M guy?

So already you're already down to 11 teams just from a cap perspective. How many of those want to allocate $9M to a top 4 RHD?

Carolina is rumored to be possibly dealing one of their RHD because they have a surplus with Hamilton, Faulk, and Pesce. Scratch them off.

Columbus has Jones and Werenski anchoring their top pair. It would be pretty weird asset management to spend $9M on a 2nd pair guy. Scratch them off.

Florida has Ekblad to be their #1 RHD. They also have Yandle who is a similar player at 6.35. Maybe they move for Subban, but they're also one of favorites to land both Panarin and Bob. See ya cap space. Scratch them off.

Rangers just traded for Trouba to be their #1 RHD. And before signing Trouba they've already got 4 dmen over $4M. They'll have 4 over $5M after signing Trouba. Scratch them off.

The Islanders were the best defensive team in hockey last year and Trotz is a defense first guy. Maybe he goes against the grain and likes Subban, but I highly doubt it. I scratch them off too.

So even before considering Subban's character, I'm down to 6 teams. Maybe even 5 depending on Colorado's situation. If I were Minnesota I would count them out as well. Suter, Dumba, Spurgeon, and Brodin is a great top 4. But Fenton is an idiot, so who knows what he would and wouldn't do.

So there's a pretty plausible, IMO, route to 4 potential landing spots for Subban. Braun's $3.8M brings at least half of those top 16 in to play and probably a few of the others who don't need a top end guy, but could use depth.

And IMO, you can add the Flyers to the 'no go' list. It would be completely counter intuitive for them to bring in a guy like Therrien and then trade for Subban. Not only because of their personal history, but because Therrien is a drill sergeant and Subban is a free spirit. Almost everything Fletcher has done has been to address the perceived lack of leadership/accountability on the team. Brought in three seasoned vets. 3 coaches with extensive NHL experience, at least 2 of which (Vigneault, Therrien) are supposedly hard-asses. Subban would be completely counter to that.

So, plausible route to 3 landing spots. Not going to get a massive return when Buffalo, Vancouver, and NJ are the 3 teams 'bidding'.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And IMO, you can add the Flyers to the 'no go' list. It would be completely counter intuitive for them to bring in a guy like Therrien and then trade for Subban. Not only because of their personal history, but because Therrien is a drill sergeant and Subban is a free spirit. Almost everything Fletcher has done has been to address the perceived lack of leadership/accountability on the team. Brought in three seasoned vets. 3 coaches with extensive NHL experience, at least 2 of which (Vigneault, Therrien) are supposedly hard-asses. Subban would be completely counter to that.

So, plausible route to 3 landing spots. Not going to get a massive return when Buffalo, Vancouver, and NJ are the 3 teams 'bidding'.
Glad y'all are catching up here... :agree:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So all the teams you deemed out of the running for Subban is pretty much just your opinion right, not an article or something you read. Like the Rangers, you said they wouldn't do it because they got Trouba. What if they wanted Trouba and Subban and like the Islanders wouldn't do it because they are the best defensive team. What if they wanted more offense out of their defense this year ? You shouldn't just dismiss teams for your own reasons because you get Purdue all hyped up like what your saying is really what transpired in the meetings.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all the teams you deemed out of the running for Subban is pretty much just your opinion right, not an article or something you read. Like the Rangers, you said they wouldn't do it because they got Trouba. What if they wanted Trouba and Subban and like the Islanders wouldn't do it because they are the best defensive team. What if they wanted more offense out of their defense this year ? You shouldn't just dismiss teams for your own reasons because you get Purdue all hyped up like what your saying is really what transpired in the meetings.

Of course it's just my opinion. I'm not on speaker phone with GM conversations. But all of that makes sense, at least on some level, does it not? The Islanders, sure maybe they wanted to add more offense, but that's one team. The Rangers wanting Trouba and Subban would just be stupid GM'ing. Trouba makes sense because he's likely a part of their rebuilding future. Why would they want 30 yr old Subban when their truly competitive window won't open for another few years? And if they did pull a 180 from like 12 months ago when they said they were entering a rebuild, and were trying to be competitive this season, is having 35% of your cap tied up on your 6 dmen a good plan? Not to mention you'd have a $9M RHD and Trouba is probably $7.5M, also a RHD. When your forward group is as anemic as they are, I don't think so. The 2nd big splash would be to try to land a top forward through trade or FA.

And the 16 or so teams that can't afford him, that's not really my opinion. They literally can't afford him. Sure they could make some trades and move pieces around, but how often do teams put their roster in a blender while trying to stay competitive (which would be a requirement to adding Subban and his contract)? Almost never. Doesn't mean it can't happen, just means that it probably won't. NHL GM's just don't do that very often; for whatever reason.

And I'm not alone in my line of thinking. One of the major Canadian guys, can't remember which, said the list of teams that were interested and could take the whole Subban deal was pretty short; in response to the return Nashville got. That's why I say these things. I just went through the list and put some details and guesses to what he said.

All I'm saying is I don't think it's that much of a logical leap to think Nashville had very limited options when it came to moving Subban and his entire contract. That dramatically reduced their return.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 mil. Not bad for a vet backup.

2 mil isn't bad. And Elliot was fine when healthy. I just don't trust a 34 year old goalie with core/hip issues. If he stays healthy, this is a good signing.

I would've preferred someone else, someone we could trust to stay healthy. But I'm not going to riot.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giroux (8.275) - Couturier (4.3) - Konecny (2x3.3)
JvR (7) - Hayes (7.1) - Voracek (8.25)
Lindblom (.925) - Patrick (.925) - Frost (.863)

Raffl (1.6) - Laughton (2x1.7) - Pitlick (1)
Vorobyov (.784)

Provorov (6x6.6) - Niskanen (5.75)

Sanheim (3.25) - Braun (3.8)
Ghost (4.5) - Myers (.68)
Hagg (1.15), Morin (.7)

Hart (.73)

Elliot (2)

Gudas (1)

AMAC (1.2)
Schlemko (1.025, assuming he's buried in the AHL)

Space as configured: $3.1M

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vorobyov (.784)

Hagg (1.15), Morin (.7)

Hart (.73)

Elliot (2)

Gudas (1)

AMAC (1.2)

It would be great if TK would sign the bridge deal at 2x3.3 that would give us the cap room that we need going in for a long season.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 mil isn't bad. And Elliot was fine when healthy. I just don't trust a 34 year old goalie with core/hip issues. If he stays healthy, this is a good signing.

I would've preferred someone else, someone we could trust to stay healthy. But I'm not going to riot.
If Elliot does get hurt can we rely on Lyon to come in a back up?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vorobyov (.784)

Hagg (1.15), Morin (.7)

Hart (.73)

Elliot (2)

Gudas (1)

AMAC (1.2)

Philadelphia Flyers 2019 Salary Cap

According to this Lyon counts .75 against the cap.Is that correct?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philadelphia Flyers 2019 Salary Cap

According to this Lyon counts .75 against the cap.Is that correct?

Yep. And I'm good w/ him as a #3. I just worry about needing a #3 for too many games with Elliot. Could all be moot, Hart could have a great season and start 60+ games, but I think Elliot is an unnecessary risk. Or hell, Sandstrom could come over and be a force in his first North American season, but I don't love those odds.

Philadelphia Flyers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. And I'm good w/ him as a #3. I just worry about needing a #3 for too many games with Elliot. Could all be moot, Hart could have a great season and start 60+ games, but I think Elliot is an unnecessary risk. Or hell, Sandstrom could come over and be a force in his first North American season, but I don't love those odds.

Philadelphia Flyers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Well its only 1 year at 2 million no risk at all .

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well its only 1 year at 2 million no risk at all .

Oh ya, no risk to the cap at all. I'm just worried about having a goalie that's NHL caliber if Hart gets injured or struggles and needs a break.