• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do also but i think if we were going to trade those picks we could've packaged them and gotten a defenseman like Trouba or someone of that caliber.

The other side of Trouba is the fit with the Flyers. His major value is being an offensive defensemen. If Ghost still QB's PP1 and you take that away from Trouba, he puts up significantly fewer points. What do you do with a 7M+ OFD that doesn't play PP1 and doesn't put up 45+ points?

The Flyers have their offensive defensemen in Sanhiem and Ghost. Provorov and Myers possibly too. They needed guys to shut it down on the backend. Braun and Niskanen fit that better than Trouba does.

I'm still skeptical that Trouba wasn't the better add. But there's logic to doing what Fletcher has done instead.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Varlomov?

I'd be open to him. Would he though? He's clearly not the long term answer here, but would he take a 1 year, split-time, type deal to try to prove he's worth of a bigger, starter caliber, contract next summer? Something like 1 year, 2.5-3M?

I would think he's after a better opportunity to be a starter.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the Flyers sign Hayes? If not center depth not checked yet.

Bob McKenzie tweeted earlier that it's trending that way as well. Corroborating Seravali's tweet from yesterday.

Not done, but apparently moving in that direction. So we'll see what happens.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Fletcher doesn't come unglued here in the next few days, I like what he's putting together for next season. If he trades Ghost (or another young player) for something dumb, that will change. But I'm not going to be up in arms about something that might happen.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because the Sharks needed to move him doesn't mean he doesn't have value. He was 4th among dmen in TOI in the playoffs on a very good Sharks team. He started almost 60% of his shifts in the dzone (1st on the team). He played on their top PK unit.

Even if the Sharks wanted to move him, it doesn't mean teams other than the Flyers weren't also looking to acquire him. For all we know, there were a bunch of other teams that were offering a 2nd+ as well.
I wish that was the case, so the other team that was offering a 2nd and third could've gotten swindled instead of us.

"Braun came into the 2018-19 season as one of the Sharks best defensemen. However, his struggles made him expendable, especially with both Karlsson and Brent Burns on the right side. Braun saw his point total cut in half, as he went from 33 points in 2017-18 to just 16 in 2018-19."

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id like a nice 3rd line depth forward who can score

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with Braun is his style of play isnt sexy but he is the exact type of D man this team needed,
Him and Nisky have now brought some much needed leadership to this blue line and I agree that the PK should be much better

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish that was the case, so the other team that was offering a 2nd and third could've gotten swindled instead of us.

"Braun came into the 2018-19 season as one of the Sharks best defensemen. However, his struggles made him expendable, especially with both Karlsson and Brent Burns on the right side. Braun saw his point total cut in half, as he went from 33 points in 2017-18 to just 16 in 2018-19."

He's a defensive defensemen. He was relied on for more defensive zone draws and PK duties than anyone on the Sharks other than Vlasic. I'm really not that worried about his point total.

You talked up and down all season about how the Isles were a hard team to play against. They played good, team defense. Shut other teams down and frustrated them. The Flyers have added Niskanen and Braun who both fit that mold. And if they sign Hayes, he fits that mold too.

While they aren't bruisers, the Flyers have gotten significantly more difficult to play against so far this offseason. They will have replaced probably half of their PKers from last year. Maybe more.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with Braun is his style of play isnt sexy but he is the exact type of D man this team needed,
Him and Nisky have now brought some much needed leadership to this blue line and I agree that the PK should be much better
I like the Nisky deal but this is what im reading about Braun

"Nevertheless the 32-year-old has seen a drop in production over the past few seasons and doesn’t have the same skate speed to keep up with much of the elite competition MEV faces on a nightly basis. The Sharks desperately needed cap relief heading into free agency so this deal with the Flyers makes perfect sense.

With this trade the Sharks now have approx 16.3 million to work with instead of the previous 12.5 million (assuming the cap is 83M!)."

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a defensive defensemen. He was relied on for more defensive zone draws and PK duties than anyone on the Sharks other than Vlasic. I'm really not that worried about his point total.

You talked up and down all season about how the Isles were a hard team to play against. They played good, team defense. Shut other teams down and frustrated them. The Flyers have added Niskanen and Braun who both fit that mold. And if they sign Hayes, he fits that mold too.

While they aren't bruisers, the Flyers have gotten significantly more difficult to play against so far this offseason. They will have replaced probably half of their PKers from last year. Maybe more.
"Nevertheless the 32-year-old has seen a drop in production over the past few seasons and doesn’t have the same skate speed to keep up with much of the elite competition MEV faces on a nightly basis. The Sharks desperately needed cap relief heading into free agency so this deal with the Flyers makes perfect sense.

With this trade the Sharks now have approx 16.3 million to work with instead of the previous 12.5 million (assuming the cap is 83M!)."

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be open to him. Would he though? He's clearly not the long term answer here, but would he take a 1 year, split-time, type deal to try to prove he's worth of a bigger, starter caliber, contract next summer? Something like 1 year, 2.5-3M?

I would think he's after a better opportunity to be a starter.
You're probably right but you never know unless you ask lol. I could see him landing in Toronto because Andersen isn't going to cut it there.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally the backup goalie will play about 25-30 games. It may not be what people want to hear, but I can see Elliot back on a relatively cheap 1 year deal as the clear #2. He played well when healthy and, let's be honest, it was the coach's fault for riding him into the ground.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally the backup goalie will play about 25-30 games. It may not be what people want to hear, but I can see Elliot back on a relatively cheap 1 year deal as the clear #2. He played well when healthy and, let's be honest, it was the coach's fault for riding him into the ground.
cant see it being anyone other than Talbot.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably right but you never know unless you ask lol. I could see him landing in Toronto because Andersen isn't going to cut it there.
I think because Talbot is the mentor to Hart we see him get signed.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id like a nice 3rd line depth forward who can score
I think they should try to sign Brett Connolly for that spot. Doubt the Capitals can afford to keep him with their cap situation.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick look at the cap..

51.2M spent on:
Giroux
Voracek
JvR
Couturier
Raffl
Patrick
Lindblom

Niskanen
Ghost
Braun
Hagg
Morin

Hart

Gudas retention, AMac buyout

Assumption for adders:
Hayes - 6.5M
Hartman - 2.5M
Laughton - 1.7M
Konecny - 3.3M (bridge deal)
Sanheim - 2.9M (bridge deal)
Provorov - 6.7M (6 years)
Backup Goalie - 2.75M (based off Elliot's last deal)

Total: 77.5M / projected 82M cap (11 fwd / 8 d / 2 g)

Last edited: