• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest rumors have Ramos headlining a package going to the Fish in a Stanton deal.

This org has it in their DNA to simply not care about developing anyone.

They went against that trend for about 3 years and got 3 rings out of it. You would think that would teach them something...

Not a fan of this rumor.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest rumors have Ramos headlining a package going to the Fish in a Stanton deal.

They went against that trend for about 3 years and got 3 rings out of it. You would think that would teach them something...

Not a fan of this rumor.
I just saw that rumor too and came flying over here to post about it. Looks like I got beat out.

I am literally shaking my head as I write this. Ridiculous. The FO's approach this past year is frightening. If the rumor is true, apparently its not enough for them to hamstring the MLB team's payroll for years to come, they also need to get rid of any legitimate prospects in a fairly barren farm system so that the only players on 2021's team are a bunch of retreads and Stanton.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a fan of this rumor.

I just saw that rumor too and came flying over here to post about it. Looks like I got beat out.

I am literally shaking my head as I write this. Ridiculous. The FO's approach this past year is frightening. If the rumor is true, apparently its not enough for them to hamstring the MLB team's payroll for years to come, they also need to get rid of any legitimate prospects in a fairly barren farm system so that the only players on 2021's team are a bunch of retreads and Stanton.

Here's what I think.

the rumor was that Ramos was being discussed. To me, this is Miami floating out the rumor of the asking price. The Giants aren't going to trade Ramos for Stanton, I'm 100% confident about this.

Miami could be ASKING for Ramos, and therefore "headline" a package, but that doesn't mean the Giants will budge.

Listen, the Marlins are utterly out of their league if they're asking for Ramos AND for a team to take on all of his salary, which is both of the rumors at the moment. It's just flat no going to happen.

edit: another reason to believe the Marlins are manipulating the media, the rumor came up today that the Dodgers are in the sweepstakes.

This is despite the Dodgers outright claiming they are slashing payroll. Have they talked about it? I'm sure someone called the other. That's enough for a rumor.

But if the Marlins claim the Dodgers are in on it, the team with nearly unlimited resources, then his asking price goes up, in theory.

Last edited:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Evans confirmed that if the Giants land a CFer and an corner outfielder, they are prepared to make Pence a part-time play, likely platooning with Span in either right or left field.

That's huge, in my opinion. Shows they're really committed to this.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I think.

the rumor was that Ramos was being discussed. To me, this is Miami floating out the rumor of the asking price. The Giants aren't going to trade Ramos for Stanton, I'm 100% confident about this.

Miami could be ASKING for Ramos, and therefore "headline" a package, but that doesn't mean the Giants will budge.

Listen, the Marlins are utterly out of their league if they're asking for Ramos AND for a team to take on all of his salary, which is both of the rumors at the moment. It's just flat no going to happen.

edit: another reason to believe the Marlins are manipulating the media, the rumor came up today that the Dodgers are in the sweepstakes.

This is despite the Dodgers outright claiming they are slashing payroll. Have they talked about it? I'm sure someone called the other. That's enough for a rumor.

But if the Marlins claim the Dodgers are in on it, the team with nearly unlimited resources, then his asking price goes up, in theory.
I don't know who these sources are but I'm sure the Marlins would want to escalate the hype on Stanton to get the best deal even better. However, my understanding is that the Marlins are willing to pick up some of the contract in order to get a package of prospects in return.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Evans confirmed that if the Giants land a CFer and an corner outfielder, they are prepared to make Pence a part-time play, likely platooning with Span in either right or left field.

That's huge, in my opinion. Shows they're really committed to this.
I thought that was a given. Didn't know that Evans hadn't already said that about Span/Pence.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that was a given. Didn't know that Evans hadn't already said that about Span/Pence.

I think it was sort of an elephant in the room.

Broad stroke statements were said, like "we need to improve the OF defense, get a CFer" etc., but the Pence thing was news.

I think most people get that a Pence/Span platoon made a ton of sense, but it was sort of a "well it makes sense in theory, but given this team it's not gonna happen" thing.

Granted with Bochy we will never know.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who these sources are but I'm sure the Marlins would want to escalate the hype on Stanton to get the best deal even better. However, my understanding is that the Marlins are willing to pick up some of the contract in order to get a package of prospects in return.

I think a theoretical Stanton trade for the Giants would be Giants take on all of his pre-option money and the buyout in 2028, and split the post option money 50/50.

So the Giants would basically take on $191M of the $295M owed, 65% of the contract.

Then they would give up something like Gregorio and Sandro Fabian.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was sort of an elephant in the room.

Broad stroke statements were said, like "we need to improve the OF defense, get a CFer" etc., but the Pence thing was news.

I think most people get that a Pence/Span platoon made a ton of sense, but it was sort of a "well it makes sense in theory, but given this team it's not gonna happen" thing.

Granted with Bochy we will never know.
Giants GM: Pence could become part-timer Sounds like no one is even talking with Pence about reduced playing time (but I would think it would have been obvious to Hunter). Also sounds like they are expecting Bochy to dictate the reduction to Pence. Seems like Bochy's influence in decision making is reducing significantly this offseason (I also read somewhere that Bochy was not happy about Righetti's reassignment).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a theoretical Stanton trade for the Giants would be Giants take on all of his pre-option money and the buyout in 2028, and split the post option money 50/50.

So the Giants would basically take on $191M of the $295M owed, 65% of the contract.

Then they would give up something like Gregorio and Sandro Fabian.
Trading someone like Fabian seems almost as bad as trading Ramos. Young player with a lot of upside.

If the Giants land Stanton, they are almost assured of filling the rest of the pieces through trades. And then, how do they muster up getting a quality center fielder, a starting third baseman, a decent left handed reliever and a backup catcher, given the state of the farm. Imagine the number of minor league free agents filling out the farm's rosters then! Even with that, how do they manage to keep their payroll under the luxury tax threshold?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading someone like Fabian seems almost as bad as trading Ramos. Young player with a lot of upside.

If the Giants land Stanton, they are almost assured of filling the rest of the pieces through trades. And then, how do they muster up getting a quality center fielder, a starting third baseman, a decent left handed reliever and a backup catcher, given the state of the farm. Imagine the number of minor league free agents filling out the farm's rosters then! Even with that, how do they manage to keep their payroll under the luxury tax threshold?

AKA.... not gonna happen. (for the better, imo)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants GM: Pence could become part-timer Sounds like no one is even talking with Pence about reduced playing time (but I would think it would have been obvious to Hunter). Also sounds like they are expecting Bochy to dictate the reduction to Pence. Seems like Bochy's influence in decision making is reducing significantly this offseason (I also read somewhere that Bochy was not happy about Righetti's reassignment).

I think it kinda goes with the writing on the wall for Boch. His time in SF is nearing an end, but the Giants aren't going to fire him. (And I don't think they're wrong. I love Bochy and he LITERALLY pushed the right button on every decision from 2009-12 ish, then was more inconsistent through 2014, then has been straight up kinda poor since then. But his time is up, out with the old)

To me this all just goes with the change that is coming with this org. 2018 is simply going to be a mask of what's really going on, and probably then the true rebuild begins.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it kinda goes with the writing on the wall for Boch. His time in SF is nearing an end, but the Giants aren't going to fire him. (And I don't think they're wrong. I love Bochy and he LITERALLY pushed the right button on every decision from 2009-12 ish, then was more inconsistent through 2014, then has been straight up kinda poor since then. But his time is up, out with the old)

To me this all just goes with the change that is coming with this org. 2018 is simply going to be a mask of what's really going on, and probably then the true rebuild begins.
Yeah, but it is still weird to watch Bochy fade. I just wish the rebuild would start in earnest now and not have to sit through another year of flailing with veterans.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but it is still weird to watch Bochy fade. I just wish the rebuild would start in earnest now and not have to sit through another year of flailing with veterans.
Well, at least this way they will suck for at least one more year and the farm SHOULD get that much deeper...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at least this way they will suck for at least one more year and the farm SHOULD get that much deeper...
But keeping the team as is should ensure a higher pick. The FO's 2018 plan will probably put the team right in the middle of the draft. Too low to contend, too high to get a decent pick.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An update on the Stanton front - If Giants get Giancarlo Stanton, the preference is sooner rather than later. The more that comes out on this possible deal, the more I get frustrated about it. In this article, the author suggests that the Giants could trade a high priced starter, based on Evans saying “We’ve been asked about some of our starters.” Cueto is the highest, at $22 million for next season. What is he going to fetch with his contract the 2017 season he had? Next is Samardzija, at $19.8 million. Same question as Cueto. Then comes Bumgarner. This seems ludicrous to trade him with the direction the FO wants to take the team in 2018. His 2018 salary is almost half of what Cueto is being paid but pitched better than any of the other starters on the team. His departure would leave a huge hole on the team. Sure, maybe the Giants get their 3rd baseman but then what do they do with replacing their ace or 2nd starter?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had a very interesting chat with a NYY fan last night. They sort of see themselves in a position similar to us at the moment. We have LA in our division and they have BOS. Both of these teams have what appears to be unlimited spending ability. They really have no cap. I saw something about BOS recently in the NY papers. They say that BOS will go after Stanton and that cost will not be an issue. They will spend what it takes to get what they want. If not Stanton then something else that satisfies their needs.

The Doggies have been in this mode for awhile now. A 242M budget is quite high. BUT ... they have won the division 5 years running now. I don't believe that money will buy you a WS but I'm starting to think that it can buy you a division. The WS is a crap shoot once the playoffs start. The best team over 19-20 games will win it. But a well stocked team will most likely play well through a 162 game schedule.

What the NYY fan fears is what I fear as a SF fan. I don't think we can run with the doggies for 162 games. They just have too much talent. That leaves us to contend with the rest of the NL league (non-disvision winners) to contend for one of the two wildcard slots. Makes it all the more difficult to reach the playoffs.

The NYY fan feels that BOS is moving in the same direction. They will spend what it takes to dominate the division and then spend what it takes to better the playoff run.