• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NBA offseason

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers can handle it. Lonzo is fighting to stay relevant now so there will be less said if L aVAR is smart

I do wonder if LA highlights his play and then trades his butt off somewhere. we will see

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do wonder if LA highlights his play and then trades his butt off somewhere. we will see

Lakers are likely gonna have trade rumors (real or fake) swirling around them all season long.

Love had constant trade rumors and yet he's the only one still there in CLE.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without taking into account cap holds, Lakers are on the hook for ~ 79.6M next year, leaving about 29.4m. They can free up another 12.5M by stretching Deng next summer. All of this assumes they pick up options on Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, and Svi and doesn't retain KCP, Rondo, Lance, Beasley, McGee, or Zubac.

Deng should be tradable since he'll finally be an expiring contract. But even if they have to stretch him, that'll be fine.

I expect Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, Wagner and Svi will all be back unless they show they aren't going to be part of the future. 1 or 2 of KCP, Rondo, Beasley, McGee could be back depending on what happens during the season. I'll be mildly surprised if Zubac is back. He just doesn't really fit the modern NBA.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deng should be tradable since he'll finally be an expiring contract. But even if they have to stretch him, that'll be fine.

I expect Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, Wagner and Svi will all be back unless they show they aren't going to be part of the future. 1 or 2 of KCP, Rondo, Beasley, McGee could be back depending on what happens during the season. I'll be mildly surprised if Zubac is back. He just doesn't really fit the modern NBA.
only way you are getting rid of Deng is if you attach 2 assets to him- a player and a pick- as we discussed over the weekend. No way someone is taking Deng for just a late first rounder.

Id say like Kuzma and a 1st would prob get it done.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It'll be interesting to say the least. Magic has said that 4 of the 5 positions are open competition. It'll be interesting to see how Lonzo responds to that.

It's also difficult to really judge Lonzo's trade value off of his rookie year. He averaged 10 7 and 7 which is really good for a rookie pg. He showed elite court vision and passing. His defense was also much better than expected.

But his field goal percentage, 3 point field goal percentage and free throw shooting left a bit to be desired to say the least.

If you look at his overall skills and assume that he can/will improve his shooting, he should be tradable for a decent return.

But when you factor in Lavar, how many teams want to deal with that shit? That could significantly decrease his value.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only way you are getting rid of Deng is if you attach 2 assets to him- a player and a pick- as we discussed over the weekend. No way someone is taking Deng for just a late first rounder.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. I'd hate to lose Kuzma, but it might have to happen to get rid of Deng and the remaining Short Buss taint.

Maybe Ball and a 1st. Then the Lakers can get rid of 2 albatross at the same time...Deng's contract and Lavar's mouth. lol

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love it!

Shopson, BTW on a funny note, guess which teams has botched in the finals more than any other? (Trojan I bet you knew that was coming)

It was a joke typically used for Kings and Clippers fans, but what they hey.

You could rephrase that "funny note" as which team has appeared in the finals more than any other?

We could also get into which team has the most appearances, championships, etc in the "modern era", whether that be post-merger, post-free agency, salary cap era, etc.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you're probably right about that. I'd hate to lose Kuzma, but it might have to happen to get rid of Deng and the remaining Short Buss taint.

Maybe Ball and a 1st. Then the Lakers can get rid of 2 albatross at the same time...Deng's contract and Lavar's mouth. lol

The fact Deng hasn't already been dealt tells me they're just going to ride his contract out.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why are we still discussing this? If the Lakers need the cap space next summer to sign Kawhi (or Klay, or whomever), they just stretch Deng. Neither is eligible for the supermax.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could rephrase that "funny note" as which team has appeared in the finals more than any other?

We could also get into which team has the most appearances, championships, etc in the "modern era", whether that be post-merger, post-free agency, salary cap era, etc.

spot on. gotta love the rivalry!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No way.

That is true now, but the price comes down considerably next summer when Deng is expiring. Especially as more cap space gets opened up around the league.

It would have taken something like Ball and a first this year, next summer a first rounder or a first and a second should do the trick.

The Lakers would not move anybody they actually wanted just to get of Deng at this point.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also difficult to really judge Lonzo's trade value off of his rookie year. He averaged 10 7 and 7 which is really good for a rookie pg. He showed elite court vision and passing. His defense was also much better than expected.

But his field goal percentage, 3 point field goal percentage and free throw shooting left a bit to be desired to say the least.

he improves his shooting he will be super valuable. his dad IMO has less creed in other cities and once traded. just a blow hard that people will ignore

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess it was a rivalry for a couple of years in the past 30...otherwise only one of the two was winning

oh you have me busting up dude!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact Deng hasn't already been dealt tells me they're just going to ride his contract out.

Perhaps. But you have to remember that, since he wasn't even practicing with the team, his contract literally had zero value.

Now, as an expiring contract, it does. As Wiggy pointed out though, it will probably take a couple of assets to get it done.

Assuming that's true, it may come down to what assets they have to attach.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trading him isn't the only way we can get rid of him,.

We can stretch him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we still discussing this? If the Lakers need the cap space next summer to sign Kawhi (or Klay, or whomever), they just stretch Deng. Neither is eligible for the supermax.

Because they can open up more cap space by trading him than by stretching him. That could be the difference between signing perhaps, Kawhi and a 2nd tier FA...or just Kawhi.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way.

That is true now, but the price comes down considerably next summer when Deng is expiring. Especially as more cap space gets opened up around the league.

It would have taken something like Ball and a first this year, next summer a first rounder or a first and a second should do the trick.

The Lakers would not move anybody they actually wanted just to get of Deng at this point.

Hope you're right about that.