• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference - to me - is this time the Lakers are offering value well above rental price.

They're doing that because

A) they learned their lesson
B) its Anthony Freakin Davis

The Lakers thought PG being a rental who wanted LA meant that could get away with bidding the same price as everyone else. This time, there's no one that will bid NEAR the level they are bidding unless they are fully confident that Davis will re-sign with them.

Yeah, if this makes it to the off-season (and it looks like it will), it will be interesting.

The Lakers current offer will almost certainly still be there in the summer.

If AD remains focused on going to the Lakers, it will likely drive down what the Pels can get.

Depending on how good a job Rich Paul can do in driving down what the Pels can get, they may end up wishing they had taken the Lakers current offer.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference - to me - is this time the Lakers are offering value well above rental price.

The Lakers thought PG being a rental who wanted LA meant that could get away with bidding the same price as everyone else. This time, there's no one that will bid NEAR the level they are bidding unless they are fully confident that Davis will re-sign with them.
i mean- the Pelicans might prefer Tatum and the Sacramento pick- ALONE over what the Lakers are offering ifthey beleive Tatum will be a franchise guy

or if the Knicks pick is 1 or 2 and they like barrett- or of course Zion- that basically trumps the entire offer.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not really a problem if the organization wants to pay the luxury tax, which they've already said isn't a problem. In that case he just rides the bench.

Still, you would think they would want to get something for him before letting him become a free agent after next year, and the longer he sits on the sidelines, the worse that will be.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I fundamentally disagree with you. The advantage the Lakers have right now is that the Celtics simply can't trade for AD. A few other teams could absolutely get into the mix for him as well.

The Lakers are trying to offer a volume trade in a league that values quality. If this was baseball their offer would be compelling.

But the Pelicans likely have been given assurances by Ainge that he will give them whatever it is they want if they wait. My guess would be Tatum plus a bunch of picks that will convey either this year or next year.

The Lakers are willing to give away the farm now because they know that they probably don't have the juice to get him in the summer.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean- the Pelicans might prefer Tatum and the Sacramento pick- ALONE over what the Lakers are offering ifthey beleive Tatum will be a franchise guy

Lakers pick is currently better than the Kings pick. That and Tatum alone does not trump multiple 1sts and 3 prospects.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, you would think they would want to get something for him before letting him become a free agent after next year, and the longer he sits on the sidelines, the worse that will be.

Yes I'd like the sixers to get something for him, but he sucks, so I'm not expecting it.

ItzzEgg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if this makes it to the off-season (and it looks like it will), it will be interesting.

The Lakers current offer will almost certainly still be there in the summer.

If AD remains focused on going to the Lakers, it will likely drive down what the Pels can get.

Depending on how good a job Rich Paul can do in driving down what the Pels can get, they may end up wishing they had taken the Lakers current offer.
Woj said that the offer was going to be more underwhelming than the deal is now when it gets to the offseason.. I dont think it will still be there

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there going to have to accept this trade at some point because if they dont the pels aint going to find another deal like the lakers have offered..

It depends. If, for example, the Celtics get any indication that AD will consder staying with them, they could easily beat the Lakers offer. Even if you could make the case that player for player, the offer is equal, the Celtics have better draft picks and more of them.

For the Lakers to have the best offer in the off-season, Rich Paul is going to have to convince teams that AD isn't re-signing with anyone but the Lakers.

Even then, I'd expect one or 2 teams to try to beat the Lakers offer, figuring that 1 year of AD is better than none.

Reactions: LAD

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt mind if the Cavs did that and got Fultz for some expirings. I would imagine they could make that work.

Cavs are gonna have a BOATLOAD of expirings next season, its gonna be crazy.

Expirings next year won't help, needs to be this year. Sixers will want draft capital and salary relief (most likely).

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanley Johnson traded for Thon Maker.

Uh, ok? Not sure why Pistons do that

Hmmm. Wonder if that's a sign of something else.

It would be easy to see a guy like Makers potential.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wtf....

Do you think they will trade Blake or Drummond?

I keep seeing rumors about Andre.

They want Reggie Jackson gone too.

Maybe they are blowing it up?
:hope:

Please baby Jesus let it be Drummond/Jackson for Conley/Gasol

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo the Lakers just need to somehow get this deal done. You aren't getting AD until 2021 offseason if you don't and if you don't get him there isn't a good chance you can pair Lebron with anothe star. To add to the fact, as this current roster is composed they aren't winning shit imo.

Give them 4 1st's. Fuck it lol

He can opt out in the summer of 2020, not 2021.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woj said that the offer was going to be more underwhelming than the deal is now when it gets to the offseason.. I dont think it will still be there

As I said previously, it all depends on Rich Paul and how successful he is at driving down what the Pels can get.

On the one hand, it might actually be in the Lakers best interest for this to go to the off-season. Because even if they have to give up all of the young talent and a bunch of picks, it'll be easier for them to fill out the roster with FA's than trying to do it on the fly during the season.

On the other hand, they have now tried twice to make deals during the season and it didn't work out for them. So there is definitely pressure for them to get it done now if possible.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can opt out in the summer of 2020, not 2021.
hte thing is you would have to punt on using that cap space for another year

can you really tell LeBron- ya know what- we are gonna sign a bunch of dudes to 1 year deals again and punt on our cap space until Davis is a free agent?

I mean, he will be in his age 36 season the year that Davis could sign on as a Laker.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean, if thats all they are worth why are the Lakers so hesitant to give up a bunch of those late first rounders and 2nd rounders for a guy like Davis?

draft picks are becoming more valuable in the league and are essential to get trades done when you are ready to compete.

It's not that they are hesitant necessarily; they aren't getting real counters from the Pelicans. The Pelicans just keep moving the goalposts, not really negotiating at all. They're basically cutting off the nonsense and will address a counter if/when it comes.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that they are hesitant necessarily; they aren't getting real counters from the Pelicans. The Pelicans just keep moving the goalposts, not really negotiating at all. They're basically cutting off the nonsense and will address a counter if/when it comes.
Pelicans come back with Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, KCP, 4 first rounders and 4 2nd rounders for Davis and Hill

you say yes or no?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hte thing is you would have to punt on using that cap space for another year

can you really tell LeBron- ya know what- we are gonna sign a bunch of dudes to 1 year deals again and punt on our cap space until Davis is a free agent?

I mean, he will be in his age 36 season the year that Davis could sign on as a Laker.

If the AD trade falls through, the Lakers can trade those assets for another key player and keep that cap space with placeholder contracts for another season.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelicans come back with Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, KCP, 4 first rounders and 4 2nd rounders for Davis and Hill

you say yes or no?

If they want that many picks, I start pulling players and/or taking Hill's contract out of the offer.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna miss my Boban.

But, I'm officially rooting for you to make the playoffs now.
If the Clippers drop out to keep that lottery pick, then it could be a 9 team race for 8 spots. I can't say I feel confident that the Kings will make it ahead of a team led by LeBron, but they did look really bad last night.