• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could have kept either or both and still had enough to get Lebron on a max deal.

Of course, might have lost some from among KCP, Rondo, McGee and Lance. Oh, the humanity.

As was pointed out a couple of days ago, they couldn't have re-signed him and opened up 2 max spots. No one knew he was going to take the size of deal he took, literally everyone was saying he was going to get paid.

Also, he had decided he wanted out anyway, so it really didn't matter.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right...he let a very good player go for a maybe he never got. If the Cavs did that the media would roast them. And rightfully so.

And would think Randle is exactly what LA needs right now.

That's because free agents don't come to Cleveland. Lakers have always been a draw.

What LA needs right now is Lebron healthy and perimeter shooting. Randle provides neither. Lakers are doing fine with their 3 headed center.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an expiring contract, nothing more.

If AD says he's only signing with the Lakers, those offers from everyone else will weaken. I can wait another season for AD if he's coming.
lol so you think adding an expiring contract to trade your franchise player to a team in your same conference - that mind you will catapult them to the top of your conference - is suffice payment for NOLA?? hahaha yea if I'm the owner you'd have no choice but to wait until he's a FA to get him in LA.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As was pointed out a couple of days ago, they couldn't have re-signed him and opened up 2 max spots. No one knew he was going to take the size of deal he took, literally everyone was saying he was going to get paid.

I mean- isnt that the GMs job though? to be right instead of relying on "what everyone is saying"--- the good, nay GREAT GMs are just better at reading the market and dont rely on "what everyone is saying".

Its a professional that you just by the results- not what the group-think was at the time.

No one cares if it made sense to do something "at the time"- they care about how the decision turned out.

Same way with the Cavs- "at the time" the Kyrie trade looked pretty decent and some people on here- many people- actually thought the Cavs won it---- but time showed that it was a bad deal. Its totally irrelevant what people thought at the time- the good gms are the ones that get these choices right by how they turn out.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because free agents don't come to Cleveland. Lakers have always been a draw.

What LA needs right now is Lebron healthy and perimeter shooting. Randle provides neither. Lakers are doing fine with their 3 headed center.
Well I don't know about Lakers always being a draw. I mean, nobody followed LBJ even though he announced his decision early enough last summer lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean- isnt that the GMs job though? to be right instead of relying on "what everyone is saying"--- the good, nay GREAT GMs are just better at reading the market and dont rely on "what everyone is saying".

The market was that Randle was going to get paid. No one saw him taking a deal that small. If memory serves, the prevailing thought was that he was looking at at least $15 million per and certainly more than a 2 year deal with player option after 1.

And even if the Lakers knew he would sign for that little, the fact still remains that he wanted out.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, I get they couldn't open 2 max spots. Would signing him and Lebron have been so bad? And gotten the second max guy after the season....which is now the plan anyway? Could have had Randle and 2 max players.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I don't know about Lakers always being a draw. I mean, nobody followed LBJ even though he announced his decision early enough last summer lol

No he didn't. The Lakers main FA target other than Lebron signed with OKC before Lebron signed with the Lakers.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic was still working other angles, like Kawhi. Randle signed July 2nd, Kawhi was traded July 18th.
With his only problem being SA wasn't trading Kawhi to the Lakers for 2 reasons:
1. It's the Lakers
2. They're in the same conference

Sounds to me a lot like this current situation....

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, nobody followed LBJ even though he announced his decision early enough last summer lol

Who were the big free agents available after LBJ signed?

PG-13 already had agreed to go back to OKC

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your first comment helps my argument. Right. Cleveland not a draw. LA is...and they couldn't keep Randle. Or LA is such a draw they couldn't get PG who is from LA to come.

Cavs? All they did was win a title and play for 3 others...losing only to a team many have said could be the best ever. without being a FA draw.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he didn't. The Lakers main FA target other than Lebron signed with OKC before Lebron signed with the Lakers.
LOL so you don't think LBJ was trying to work angles with PG & Kawhi before any of them made their moves???

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its a professional that you just by the results- not what the group-think was at the time.

No one cares if it made sense to do something "at the time"- they care about how the decision turned out.

Same way with the Cavs- "at the time" the Kyrie trade looked pretty decent and some people on here- many people- actually thought the Cavs won it---- but time showed that it was a bad deal. Its totally irrelevant what people thought at the time- the good gms are the ones that get these choices right by how they turn out.
Nailed it......Magic seems like he might be like most fans. Just listens to ESPN reports and is a fantasy bball GM caring about name as opposed to fit. I'm shocked he hasn't brought Melo in.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The market was that Randle was going to get paid. No one saw him taking a deal that small. If memory serves, the prevailing thought was that he was looking at at least $15 million per and certainly more than a 2 year deal with player option after 1.

And even if the Lakers knew he would sign for that little, the fact still remains that he wanted out.
And if LA and Magic are such a draw that's where they convince him to stay.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I get they couldn't open 2 max spots. Would signing him and Lebron have been so bad? And gotten the second max guy after the season....which is now the plan anyway? Could have had Randle and 2 max players.

Yes, it would have. If they had signed him and Lebron they wouldn't be in position to sign another max player this off-season.

I get that you and others (especially other Cavs fans) are looking for reasons for this to fail. But, while Julius Randle is a nice player he isn't a difference maker on a contender. At best, he's a more athletic Tristan Thompson. A guy who can help, but who has a skill set that isn't that difficult to replace.

And if they couldn't open 2 max spots, they can't have Randle and 2 max guys.

And none of it changes the fact that Randle wanted out. He asked them to renounce him.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DJ , @ChiefsLakers67 , @trojanfan12 , @wildturkey , @Shaqdaddy11 @shopson67

Do you believe this?

I don't.

Anyone need anymore proof that Kidd does not need another Head Coaching gig just need to look at the difference between the Bucks, with, and without him.

Now it appears the Lakers may have zeroed in a potential replacement, as Ric Bucher explained on the “Bucher and Friends” podcast that there’s mutual interest with Jason Kidd: “There’s another development that I’m hearing is gaining momentum, and that’s the possibility of Jason Kidd returning to the coaching ranks by succeeding Luke Walton with the Lakers. Now, I first heard Kidd’s name connected with the Lakers a while back. Right about the time the first round of, ‘Is Luke Walton on the hot seat?’ stories came out. Jeanie Buss, head of the Lakers, threw a bucket of water on that seat, cooled it off. And so I tucked away the talk of Kidd and the Lakers as something at the time, simply spitballing or connecting dots that weren’t necessarily part of the same mosaic. Now, I know that Kidd wants to coach again. And I know he expressed interest in the Knicks job before David Fizdale ultimately got it. … In the case of Jason and the Lakers, I figured it was a matter of Jason letting them know he was interested, and the Lakers saying, ‘Thanks, we’ll get back to you.’ Well, now sources are saying that the Lakers have actually gotten back to him and this has gone to the next level. And if the Lakers do make a move on Luke, which based on all of the rumblings could happen sooner rather than later, Kidd appears to be very much in the mix and possibly is even the favorite.”

That would somehow be an even worse hire than Mark Jackson

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it would have. If they had signed him and Lebron they wouldn't be in position to sign another max player this off-season.

I get that you and others (especially other Cavs fans) are looking for reasons for this to fail. But, while Julius Randle is a nice player he isn't a difference maker on a contender. At best, he's a more athletic Tristan Thompson. A guy who can help, but who has a skill set that isn't that difficult to replace.

And if they couldn't open 2 max spots, they can't have Randle and 2 max guys.

And none of it changes the fact that Randle wanted out. He asked them to renounce him.
Tried to point this out once but I'll try again. Randle makes about the same as Ingram and Hart. You don't think LA could move those 2 to open up room to have Lebron, Randle and another max player?

And none of your last comment changes if Magic and LA were such a draw he could have convinced him to stay.

Other than Kyrie, who didn't want to play with Lebron, I cannot think of one player they couldn't keep because he wanted out. And that's Cleveland....not LA.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL so you don't think LBJ was trying to work angles with PG & Kawhi before any of them made their moves???

Nice attempted goal post move.

You're statement was incorrect.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you mean what they THOUGHT the market was going to be----what some people THOUGHT the market was going to be, and in fact what it turned out- were 2 completely differnt things- and my comment was that the best GMs are better at reading the market- and that you grade trades/draft picks/etc. by how they turn out--- its why every GM in the world on draft day says "well we really wont know for a few years".

No one killed the Sixers for taking Okafor over Porzingis on draft day--- but how it ACTUALLY turned out was that it was an awful pick.

The Cleveland Indians traded for all of their brilliant starting rotation- Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, Clevinger---- at the time not even one of those deals was heralded as a "steal" or a "great trade"---- but in restrospect, once given time to actually grade them- it was clear that the Tribe front office knew what it was doing and graded players better than their counterparts.

The Lakers guessed wrong on what Randle's salary would be and they let go a high lotto pick that has proved to be a pretty damn good player.