• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude...

Don't you realize what's happening?

You are passed moral victories.

You actually EXPECT to win some of these games.

That's a huge step forward.

So, chin up.
I'd much rather root for a team I think should win more and get upset when they don't than deal with rebuilding and having no expectations. The growth of Fox/Buddy, solid play of Bogi, and potential shown from Bagley/Giles this season are all very encouraging signs for the future. If the Kings make some big moves during the season or in the offseason(welcome to the team KD), they could actually be expected to make the playoffs next year.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another day, another San Antonio blowout win

I hope they "make hay while the sun shines" as they say.

Things will turn as the always do in the NBA. A lot of road games will be coming up.

But, the Spurs have looked like a top 3 team now for about a month, out of seemingly nowhere.

Houston and San Antonio both flipped a switch.

Who the hell knows anything anymore.

I know that Pop is still the Spurs coach...which is pretty much all I need to know.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 27,016.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

They lost by 1 point on the road to the Kings and then beat them at Staples 3 days later. The Clippers was the 2nd game of a back to back and they were still without Lebron, Rondo and JaVale.

Haters gonna hate.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 27,016.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are missing the point.

They could not have signed Randle for that price. Because they renounced his rights when they signed LBJ at Randle's request, and Randle had no interest in signing with the Lakers after they showed little interest in extending him.

So giving Randle that money instead of Rondo or KCP may sound great in theory, but it wasn't an option for the Lakers.

You'd think somebody familiar with the salary cap would know that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are missing the point.

They could not have signed Randle for that price. Because they renounced his rights when they signed LBJ at Randle's request, and Randle had no interest in signing with the Lakers after they showed little interest in extending him.

So giving Randle that money instead of Rondo or KCP may sound great in theory, but it wasn't an option for the Lakers.

Exactly. The Lakers would have loved to keep Randle. But they wanted to sign 2 top FA's and Randle was up for an extension. They couldn't extend him and still sign 2 top FA's.

It was just bad luck/timing that he was due for an extension this past off-season.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will hurt James Harden's MVP chances. His 5 game streak of 40 points ended when he could only score 38 last night.

#hesucks

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The Lakers would have loved to keep Randle. But they wanted to sign 2 top FA's and Randle was up for an extension. They couldn't extend him and still sign 2 top FA's.

It was just bad luck/timing that he was due for an extension this past off-season.
I mean this isnt rocket science

of course the Lakers would have loved to keep Randle

they wanted to gamble on the fact that they could sign 2 max free agents instead

they ended up failing in signing 2 max free agents- and becuase of market conditions Randle took a extremely team friendly contract with the Pelicans that in restrospect would ahve fit in perfectly with the Lakers instead of Rondo or KCP- either one you would trade in a millisecond for Randle.

I understand the logic- they wanted to clear the cap space to try and sign 2 max free agents- they failed to do so- and Randle walked and instead you are paying KCP and Rondo as much or more than RAndle is currently making.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will hurt James Harden's MVP chances. His 5 game streak of 40 points ended when he could only score 38 last night.

#hesucks

He definitely doesn't suck, but he did not play well at all last night.

13-35 from the field, 5-17 from 3, 7 assists and 7 TO.

Sorry, but when you use almost half the teams' offensive possessions, 38 points is not a good outcome.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He definitely doesn't suck, but he did not play well at all last night.

13-35 from the field, 5-17 from 3, 7 assists and 7 TO.

Sorry, but when you use almost half the teams' offensive possessions, 38 points is not a good outcome.

Don't take things so seriously. Here's what I really think. He's a little outta gas. He's been on a helluva run & it's understandable if he's tired. He doesn't shoot like that on a regular basis.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they wanted to gamble on the fact that they could sign 2 max free agents instead

they ended up failing in signing 2 max free agents- and becuase of market conditions Randle took a extremely team friendly contract with the Pelicans that in restrospect would ahve fit in perfectly with the Lakers instead of Rondo or KCP- either one you would trade in a millisecond for Randle.

I understand the logic- they wanted to clear the cap space to try and sign 2 max free agents- they failed to do so- and Randle walked and instead you are paying KCP and Rondo as much or more than RAndle is currently making.

Except, as @tlance pointed out, you are missing the point.

It was bad timing. Period. If Randle wasn't due for an extension this past off-season, he's likely still a Laker.

But he was and they needed the cap space. Nothing more, nothing less. Randle is a really good player. There's no bigger Julius Randle fanboy than me. I was hoping they'd find a way to keep him all the way to him signing with the Pels. But they did what they had to do.

Also, as someone else pointed out, Lebron wanted both Rondo and KCP and the Lakers could sign them to 1 year deals that they couldn't sign Randle to.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You act like this current season is all that matters. It isn't.

Yes. LeBron is 34. But once GS signed Boogie, the Lakers correctly surmised that it was better to preserve cap space to possibly land another difference maker next summer when the Warriors likely lose Durant.

They have a 3-4 year window with LeBron. While it is true that each year LeBron is less likely to be able to drag his team to a championship, it is also true that Julius Randle was not going to give them any sort of realistic chance to win the West this year. So forfeiting 2019 cap space to sign a player like Randle would have been stupid.

Next summer is different. They have to sign somebody even if they strike out on the big fish. Because they only have 1 more year with Ingram on a rookie deal.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You act like this current season is all that matters. It isn't.

Yes. LeBron is 34. But once GS signed Boogie, the Lakers correctly surmised that it was better to preserve cap space to possibly land another difference maker next summer when the Warriors likely lose Durant.

They have a 3-4 year window with LeBron. While it is true that each year LeBron is less likely to be able to drag his team to a championship, it is also true that Julius Randle was not going to give them any sort of realistic chance to win the West this year. So forfeiting 2019 cap space to sign a player like Randle would have been stupid.

Next summer is different. They have to sign somebody even if they strike out on the big fish. Because they only have 1 more year with Ingram on a rookie deal.

It's going to be interesting. Assuming they don't make some trade deadline deal for AD (which I seriously doubt) they will be looking to land a big fish in FA.

If that doesn't work, I think they'll go the trade route and try to get AD in the off-season or make a deal with the Wiz for Beal.

They could also wait one more year and try to get AD as an FA, but I think that would be the last resort.