• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems that what is going on here is that Magic told Woj that the Lakers are looking to bring trade for Ariza and would give up KCP to do so. Doesn't sound like they are anywhere close to a deal though so this could be just as much an attempt to raise the price of Ariza as it is an attempt to actually get Ariza, maybe moreso.

Yeah, it's funny. You hear teams are in talks and folks (especially some in the media) act like something is going to happen any minute. lol

Every GM in the league fields and/or makes a few phone calls a day inquiring about players and trade possibilities. The overwhelming majority of which go no further than that one call.

I'm sure that in this case, the Lakers and Suns have had some discussions and there's probably at least some interest. But it also doesn't sound like there's any real urgency for either team.

And there really doesn't need to be any urgency. Ariza's on a 1 year deal, so the Suns don't need to unload him now to clear cap space for the summer.

And unless the Lakers make some sort of blockbuster trade, they don't need Ariza to help with any title run, so they can just wait until the summer, see what happens in FA and bring him in on a smaller contract if they feel they need him.

In short, no reason for the Suns to accept anything other than exactly what they want for him and no reason for the Lakers to give up much for him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's funny. You hear teams are in talks and folks (especially some in the media) act like something is going to happen any minute. lol

Every GM in the league fields and/or makes a few phone calls a day inquiring about players and trade possibilities. The overwhelming majority of which go no further than that one call.

I'm sure that in this case, the Lakers and Suns have had some discussions and there's probably at least some interest. But it also doesn't sound like there's any real urgency for either team.

And there really doesn't need to be any urgency. Ariza's on a 1 year deal, so the Suns don't need to unload him now to clear cap space for the summer.

And unless the Lakers make some sort of blockbuster trade, they don't need Ariza to help with any title run, so they can just wait until the summer, see what happens in FA and bring him in on a smaller contract if they feel they need him.

In short, no reason for the Suns to accept anything other than exactly what they want for him and no reason for the Lakers to give up much for him.

And this is why I think the Lakers may just be trying to push the bidding up. They don't want Ariza going back to the Rockets or some other team fighting for a playoff spot in the West.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, and I think the Lakers are actually trying to help KCP and do bright by him by exploring trades.
the Lakers may very well be trying to help KCP- but not because they give a fuck about KCP personall,y but because Rich Paul is telling them to...lol

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Lakers may very well be trying to help KCP- but not because they give a fuck about KCP personall,y but because Rich Paul is telling them to...lol

Could Jammin' Jimmer Fredette help your Cavs?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel like parsing through posts for your comment so I'll retract the claim.

The Suns should have never signed Ariza. They fired the guy that did that. Now they are in a weird situation where they are looking to deal a guy they signed for $15 million in the offseason on a one year deal. It is the sort of move a team vying for a deep playoff run makes. Not a team that just drafted No. 1 overall.

His contract, right now, makes him less desirable because teams can't just take on that sort of contract. So the Suns need to either take on salary or get someone else to do it for a deal to make sense.

If Ariza was making his normal 7 mill this season he probably would already be traded.

Disagree. Stealing Ariza from the Rockets was beautiful. Now, trade him to a contending team not in Houston and all will be fine.

The reason Ariza hasn't been traded yet is that he isn't eligible until after the 14th.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that trying to get Ariza without giving up picks is why they are looking to get a 3rd team involved.

But I agree, I don't think they are getting Ariza without giving up a pick. If they manage that, then Magic is even more persuasive than I thought. lol

Imo, it would be worth it. While KCP, after a slow start, has been playing well of late, I like Ariza better and the Lakers may be able to bring him back on a team friendly deal next year if they want to.

The 3rd team is to take KCP and give a PG in return. Ariza isn't the perfect addition, but he would be welcome. He would have to play out of position a bit at the 2 though, with Ingram (when back healthy) and Kuzma occupying the 3 most of the game. KCP and Ariza are shooting about the same right now, but Ariza brings rebounding and passing as well.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No less than eight teams interested in Suns forward Ariza

The Phoenix Suns have received lots of interest in veteran small forward Trevor Ariza, not just from the Los Angeles Lakers, according to a report from John Gambadoro of ArizonaSports.com.

In fact, Gambadoro reported, at least eight teams have an interest in trading for Ariza.

An ESPN report linked Ariza to the Lakers, with the Suns supposedly working on a three-team tradethat would send Ariza to LA.

But Gambadoro reported the sides are not close on a trade. And despite some rumors, the Suns are not interested in trading for Lakers shooting guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and a bench player, Gambadoro added.

ohn Gambadoro

✔@Gambo987

I get the feeling the Suns have no interest in adding more projects to the roster. They want guys that can play now. So I doubt they would go after a Markelle Fultz or even Lonzo Ball.

Lonzo Ball is nowhere near these trade talks. Stop trying to light fires.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doesnt even sound like the Suns would be interested in Lonzo Ball if they offered him for Ariza...lol

who know how true that is, but if it is...its funny. real real funny. lol

It would be the Lakers that have no interest in trading Ball for Ariza. If Ball indeed gets on the trading block, it would be for a MUCH bigger piece.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Stealing Ariza from the Rockets was beautiful. Now, trade him to a contending team not in Houston and all will be fine.

The reason Ariza hasn't been traded yet is that he isn't eligible until after the 14th.

I honestly don't get your argument. Why would the Suns care about stealing him from the Rockets?

If they were thinking that signing Ariza was a way to get assets in a trade, that was a pretty risky move. His salary makes a trade way more complicated.

So the Lakers, for instance, need to find a way to offer something to the Suns that they will want AND get KCP off the books. Of course they can do it but now they will likely to give up MORE to do it which makes it less appealing.

Can't say that McDonough viewed it as a great move.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 3rd team is to take KCP and give a PG in return. Ariza isn't the perfect addition, but he would be welcome. He would have to play out of position a bit at the 2 though, with Ingram (when back healthy) and Kuzma occupying the 3 most of the game. KCP and Ariza are shooting about the same right now, but Ariza brings rebounding and passing as well.

What teams are out there that A) Have a PG making around 12 mill that they would be willing to unload and B) want KCP? and C) don't want Ariza?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't get your argument. Why would the Suns care about stealing him from the Rockets?

If they were thinking that signing Ariza was a way to get assets in a trade, that was a pretty risky move. His salary makes a trade way more complicated.

So the Lakers, for instance, need to find a way to offer something to the Suns that they will want AND get KCP off the books. Of course they can do it but now they will likely to give up MORE to do it which makes it less appealing.

Can't say that McDonough viewed it as a great move.

I'm not worried about the Lakers getting Ariza, although it would be interesting. I also don't care what's best for the Suns. Just glad to see Harden's team crumbling around him and their Pringles mascot coach. SCHADENFREUDE!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about the Lakers getting Ariza, although it would be interesting. I also don't care what's best for the Suns. Just glad to see Harden's team crumbling around him and their Pringles mascot coach. SCHADENFREUDE!

Ahh. So your argument is coming from a Rockets hater. Gotcha.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What teams are out there that A) Have a PG making around 12 mill that they would be willing to unload and B) want KCP? and C) don't want Ariza?

Knicks (Mudiay), Nets (Lin)? Lakers could deal Rondo directly, although that doesn't seem likely given the search for a 3rd team. Doesn't help that 14 of the 15 Western teams still have playoff hopes lol.