• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, the problem with your theory of wanting "credit" is KD jus wants to WIN. He's already said he doesn't need the credit. So again, why would he leave his current situation to play in LA?

For someone who doesn't want credit, he seems awfully thin skinned to the point that he had a burner account to defend himself on social media.

Also, they all say they don't want credit and they all lie. Legacies and how they stack up all time is very important to all of these guys. KD included.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, correct me if I'm wrong but since winning their back 2 back titles LA FO hasn't been too prideful in taking on a former Warrior - whom happens to have a worse reputation than Swaggy, ahem, McGee.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. I said that, of the 2, I would prefer Korver over Swaggy P. I didn't say that I wouldn't take him at all.

Pretty much anyone would take Korver over Swaggy P. and most for the exact reasons I mentioned.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stacey hates this song.....LOL.

Taste with Tyga and Offset.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On probation....back in the room and off the fucking couch.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF is up with this probation shit @Mecca and @LAD.

Seriously, I'm like a fucking Angel.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bagley has passed his scoring total from Wednesday in the first quarter tonight.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We aren't married but may as well be. But, not doing it.

Known each other 14-15 years....

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Kawhi saying he doesn't wanna play w/ LeBron have anything to do w/ the fact they're both SF's? I know that's some really crazy thinking. But it does make some sense.
I could DEF see that.

though in todays NBA of basically positionless basketball they could make it work

I just think he wants to kind of be his own man- instead of in LEBrons shadow

like Kevin Love said- its a huge adjustment playing with LeBron- many of these guys have been the BMOC for their whole lives- and then you are asking them to take a back seat- and a back seat to a guy in his mid thirties.

Itlll be interesting to see what they do and what they can pull off.

If they sign Kawhi LEonard in free agency they will be vindicated to a certain extent.

IF they strike out in free agency next season LeBron will likely have played in his last Finals- at least as the best player on a team.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, there are no guarantees about anything. The reason to start over with youngsters would be because of credit for winning.

With the Warriors he has a great situation, but he also doesn't really get credit for them winning titles because he joined a team that had already been to 2 finals and won 1. Heck, some have suggested that going to the Warriors actually diminishes his perceived greatness.

If he goes to a team of youngsters, doesn't necessarily have to be the Lakers, then he is the team leader and gets a lot more of the credit if they win a title.

I know why it works with the Warriors. I disagree to a point re: Lebron. Paul George staying in OKC, according to him, had to do with the Lakers not trading for him and nothing to do with Lebron.

To my knowledge, Kawhi hasn't said anything one way or the other. He's not in Toronto because he didn't want to play with Lebron. He's in Toronto because the Spurs weren't going to send their best player to a rival.

The only player that I've heard saying he didn't want to play with Lebron was Butler...who would be pretty far down the Lakers wish list any way.

Some of you Warriors fans crack me up. 2 years ago, no one (including most Warriors fans) thought there was any chance you'd have KD. Now suddenly, there's no way he'll leave.

The Warriors and some of their key players are about to have to make some very tough financial decisions. Klay has apparently already said, he's not giving a discount. If KD, etc. take the same approach....it's going to be unbelievably expensive to keep the team together. Even if everyone gave a discount, how big a discount will they be willing to take and will it be enough to keep the band together?
Woj just reported that the most likely destination for Kawhi is the Clippers unless he really loves Toronto - and at this point everyone else is somewhat a distance third.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very good article breaking down the landscape;

Can LeBron James and Magic Johnson lure next big star to Lakers?

Can LeBron and Magic recruit their next star to the league?

Yes.

The tag-team combo of Magic (an all-time great player and the model for an athlete-turned-business man) and LeBron (best player on the planet and one of the biggest athlete brands in the world) will be formidable. Throw in the lure of the Lakers’ brand and playing in Los Angeles and LeBron/Magic will land someone.

Just don’t expect it to be easy.

Lakers fans shouldn’t expect every elite player switching teams to just flock to Los Angeles to play with LeBron. Playing with LeBron is not for everyone. For a player who wants the ball in his hands, who wants to be the man and lead his own team (like Irving), playing in LeBron’s shadow is not a draw. Even if the pairing looks good on paper and might lead to a ring. We’ve seen that with the examples above.

It takes a particular mindset to play with the LeBron. Kevin Love was asked about this recently, by ESPN’s Brian Windhorst.

“You have to follow. You have to learn a lot about that…

“You have to be resilient. I had a lot of hard nights. There were dark times,” Love said. “But I always believed keep fighting, I was stubborn about it. And LeBron makes sure you have a chance to win every year. He’s gotten a lot of guys rings.”

Playing with LeBron forces guys to adjust. Love did. Chris Bosh had to learn how to stretch the floor in Miami and work as a pick-and-pop guy not on the block. Dwyane Wade had always had the ball in his hands before LeBron and had to learn how to cut and move off the ball to thrive with him. For ball dominant players, playing next to LeBron is a massive adjustment.

Players today and their agents get that, which is why not every free agent about to come up is going to fit with the Lakers. Take Kevin Durant for example. If leaves Golden State (still a big “if” even if the team is preparing for the possibility) league sources suggest he’s not going to leave the ball-sharing system and shadow of Stephen Curry to be in LeBron’s shadow and be the No. 2 option again. Durant wants his own team if he’s leaving the Warriors. Or, look at it this way: Remember how much heat Durant took for leaving OKC and jumping to a championship team? What happens if he leaves that to join LeBron?

The Lakers reportedly love the idea of how Klay Thompson would fit with them, and they should. But nobody around the league thinks Thompson is leaving the Warriors. He’s spoken openly and multiple times about wanting to be a Warrior for life. Beyond him, Kyrie Irving has said he will re-sign in Boston and Butler does not want to be a Laker.

There are other big names out there, with Kawhi Leonard at the top of the list. He reportedly wants to come to Los Angeles, although sources have told me (and others have reported as well) that the Clippers could be that destination as much as the Lakers. (Yes, Lakers fans, seriously, Leonard is not a fan of drama around the team and overly bright spotlights, and the Lakers are both those things by their nature. Plus, the LeBron shadow/own team thing is legit.) Also, Leonard may decide to pull a PG13 and stay. After that the free agency talent pool drops off to very good players but not what the Lakers need — DeMarcus Cousins, Goran Dragic, Al Horford, Kemba Walker.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes.

The tag-team combo of Magic (an all-time great player and the model for an athlete-turned-business man) and LeBron (best player on the planet and one of the biggest athlete brands in the world) will be formidable. Throw in the lure of the Lakers’ brand and playing in Los Angeles and LeBron/Magic will land someone.

Lakers fans shouldn’t expect every elite player switching teams to just flock to Los Angeles to play with LeBron. Playing with LeBron is not for everyone. For a player who wants the ball in his hands, who wants to be the man and lead his own team (like Irving), playing in LeBron’s shadow is not a draw. Even if the pairing looks good on paper and might lead to a ring. We’ve seen that with the examples above.

It takes a particular mindset to play with the LeBron. Kevin Love was asked about this recently, by ESPN’s Brian Windhorst.

“You have to be resilient. I had a lot of hard nights. There were dark times,” Love said. “But I always believed keep fighting, I was stubborn about it. And LeBron makes sure you have a chance to win every year. He’s gotten a lot of guys rings.”

Playing with LeBron forces guys to adjust. Love did. Chris Bosh had to learn how to stretch the floor in Miami and work as a pick-and-pop guy not on the block. Dwyane Wade had always had the ball in his hands before LeBron and had to learn how to cut and move off the ball to thrive with him. For ball dominant players, playing next to LeBron is a massive adjustment.

Players today and their agents get that, which is why not every free agent about to come up is going to fit with the Lakers. Take Kevin Durant for example. If leaves Golden State (still a big “if” even if the team is preparing for the possibility) league sources suggest he’s not going to leave the ball-sharing system and shadow of Stephen Curry to be in LeBron’s shadow and be the No. 2 option again. Durant wants his own team if he’s leaving the Warriors. Or, look at it this way: Remember how much heat Durant took for leaving OKC and jumping to a championship team? What happens if he leaves that to join LeBron?

The Lakers reportedly love the idea of how Klay Thompson would fit with them, and they should. But nobody around the league thinks Thompson is leaving the Warriors. He’s spoken openly and multiple times about wanting to be a Warrior for life. Beyond him, Kyrie Irving has said he will re-sign in Boston and Butler does not want to be a Laker.

There are other big names out there, with Kawhi Leonard at the top of the list. He reportedly wants to come to Los Angeles, although sources have told me (and others have reported as well) that the Clippers could be that destination as much as the Lakers. (Yes, Lakers fans, seriously, Leonard is not a fan of drama around the team and overly bright spotlights, and the Lakers are both those things by their nature. Plus, the LeBron shadow/own team thing is legit.) Also, Leonard may decide to pull a PG13 and stay. After that the free agency talent pool drops off to very good players but not what the Lakers need — DeMarcus Cousins, Goran Dragic, Al Horford, Kemba Walker.

The article makes some good points. I don't think anyone believes it's going to be easy. A few things are going to need to happen, imo.

For one, the kids will have to show that they are good enough to keep things rolling when Lebron is no longer the Lebron we see now or has retired.

Lebron is a force of nature, even when he doesn't want to be. So, he is going to have to do his best to "share the spotlight" and defer some.

He and Magic are going to have to sell star players on the idea of the Lakers fully becoming "their team" when Lebron has retired or is diminished and just finishing out his career.

Not impossible tasks, but certainly not easy.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes.

Give you 350 Hoop cash if'n you become a Lakers fan.....

That's it. I'm a cheap ass.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes.

Cousins? Would be a perfect C in our offense and slap in the face to the W's.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You do and your Lakers fan card will be permanently revoked.

It'll look like this:

:dhd:

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We don't need more Lakers fans on here.