• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when i say the "Nebraska of South"- i mean that the college game has changed.

Once a powerhouse, Nebraska just cannot get the recruits they used to.

Miami has a different problem- its in a great location, but it is a relatively small private school with limited resources.

Now you see teams like Clemson, a large public university, that have the resources to compete year in and year out.

I doubt if Miami had a time machine and could get a 30 years younger Jimmie Johnson, that they would even be any good. How the college game works just does not lend itself to a team in Miami's situation from being a perennial great team anymore.

Might they have a great year or two here or there when the right guys are juniors/seniors? Sure. Absolutely.

But there days of being a perennial powerhouse and a top team in college football are simply over.

Miami doesn't have limited resources, please stop.

Clemson is Clemson because they stuck by Dabo and Dabo had a plan that came to fruition. Dabo has Clemson humming right now because he's a great evaluator of his assistances and serves the CEO role fine as a coach. It wasn't too long ago that people were calling Dabo a fraud and Clemson was never going to go anywhere with him.

Miami and USC are in the same boat right now because they're run by incompetent ADs and both of whom have hired lack luster coaches. Notice how both schools still recruit at a pretty decent level and routinely send players to the NFL?

This isn't Nebraska where they made a short-sighted decision going to the Big 10 with the allure of money. For Nebraska, they recruit the Midwest where those annual games against UT, OU and A&M are now gone and so is their recruiting foot hold.

That's both schools' problem - coaching. When you have a great coach who knows how to run a program, you're set for success.

That's Miami's problem because Richt wants to be HC while still being OC - it's not going to work. Saban's a CEO. Urban's a CEO. Dabo's a CEO.

Miami will likely not win anything of relevance under Richt. If that's your argument, cool than I agree. But to say Miami doesn't have resources is the most laughable crock of shit.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly do not think the Warriors will be dumb enough to let Klay go.

I think the most likely scenario is that Durant either stays or goes East to do his own thing- and the original 3 all stay in GSW.

Beale will make about 27M a year. It will take assets to get him as well. Whats a reasonable trade for Beale that will trump other teams offers and give the Lakers a legit shot at getting him? ITs not like the Wiz are desperate to dump his salary. It would cost at LEAST AT LEAST, soemthing like Hart and a first rounder and prob. more (Since there 1st rounders arent worth much).
I think they'd give up more.

Not because they have to and not necessarily in the same deal.

Adding Bradley doesn't move the needle if the Warriors remain intact.

So, they would need to ship out guys on multiyear deals to maintain a max spot this Summer.

Makes no sense to send out Kuz nor Hart when they fit best with Lebron and have the lowest salaries.

It would need to be Lonzo's 9 mil, Ingram's 7 mil and maybe Wagner at 2 mil, Bonga 2 mil to even be close to Beal's 25 mil per.

* all are 2019-20 salaries *

Even if they could trade Rondo, KCP, Lance, it doesn't help them because those guys are just placeholders for next summer's capspace.

Again: There is no guarantee that they will snag one of the top guys.

But, if they did and had Beal as their 3rd option and Kuz as their 4th?

That would be pretty good.

Last edited:

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah thus far Sexton has struggled at times without a doubt. I was really excited about him because of his intangibles and his skills, but he has looked overmatched thus far. He really needs to fill out a little. The game is very fast for him right now.

The case against taking a point guard so early in a rebuild is that point guard is the easiest position to find. the case for it is the guy is supposed to be your floor general and that takes time to develop. I had Sexton in the group with Miles Bridges and Knox that I wanted the Cavs to take and I had Sexton over them. If Love was playing and taking some defenders out of the middle I am sure it would help.

Right now he is at a 42% FG which is actually not bad for a rookie guard. He, without a doubt, needs to develop his floor game better.

With Love hurt, Hill hurt, Cedi hurt now, the dysfunction due to the coaching changes etc. it has not been a great environment to develop in thus far.
Yeah, like most 1 and dones, he needs to mature physically.

He still reminds me a awful lot of Fox who has come on like gangbusters in his 2nd Season.

Looks like Monk is taking the CJ McCollum route this year as well.

Sexton is talented. He will figure it out.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami and USC are in the same boat right now because they're run by incompetent ADs and both of whom have hired lack luster coaches. Notice how both schools still recruit at a pretty decent level and routinely send players to the NFL?

Gotta disagree a little bit here. Clay Helton had the interim tag removed in 2015 by Pat Haden. Lynn Swann became AD in 2016. Swann did give him an extension though. To be fair, a lot of that was because USC needed the stability Helton provided after Kiffin and Sark.

Right now, I'd say Helton's biggest problem has been loyalty to assistants who aren't performing up to standards. He fired his o-line coach (which was desperately needed) who was a close family friend and took the play calling duties from the OC.

I don't know if Helton is the guy to take them to the level USC is used to be at or not. Firing the o-line coach and taking over play calling was probably a step in the right direction. I don't know if it'll be enough to save his job though. From what I hear, Swann isn't happy with what's happened this season.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be 7 in a row, thunder are really playing well at the moment.
Seriously, outside of the Raptors, you have the most athletic roster, top to bottom, in the NBA.

I have said this before and I honestly believe it.....

Diallo will be every bit as good as Wiggins.

I Shit on Wiggins, CONSTANTLY, because of where he was picked and his salary.

Wiggins for the Max , picked #1 is a albatross.

Wiggins at the Rookie minimum, picked mid 2nd round is stupendous.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta disagree a little bit here. Clay Helton had the interim tag removed in 2015 by Pat Haden. Lynn Swann became AD in 2016. Swann did give him an extension though. To be fair, a lot of that was because USC needed the stability Helton provided after Kiffin and Sark.

Right now, I'd say Helton's biggest problem has been loyalty to assistants who aren't performing up to standards. He fired his o-line coach (which was desperately needed) who was a close family friend and took the play calling duties from the OC.

I don't know if Helton is the guy to take them to the level USC is used to be at or not. Firing the o-line coach and taking over play calling was probably a step in the right direction. I don't know if it'll be enough to save his job though. From what I hear, Swann isn't happy with what's happened this season.

That's essentially my point. I should've changed it to, USC was mired by incompetent ADs (Miami has been and still is). I don't know enough about Swann to make an accurate assessment. Having said that, it's something I've learned the last 2 coaching cycles, HC's that hire close friends and family are a red flag. Al Golden hired his best friend at defensive coordinator and never fired him while making every excuse in the book for him. This season, Miami has arguably the worst QB play in the Power 5 going on year 3. The fact that Richt's kid is the QB coach where he was a GA at UGA for 1 year, than an intern for the Bills the next, then by year 3 landing that job was a red flag for Canes fans.

From the outside looking in, Helton doesn't look like he's the coach. I couple Miami and USC together in defense against Wiggy's asinine statement saying that Miami (and I don't know if he put USC in the same category) won't ever be back. Because Miami's always had to recruit against a litany of schools in a deep recruiting area, and I'd imagine that USC has the same annual issues which just comes with the territory. But again, both schools' issues are coaching. You hire the right coach, than things tend to work out. Happened at Clemson as an example whom prior to Dabo, wasn't really known for winning.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
d42ail82d7x11.jpg

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's essentially my point. I should've changed it to, USC was mired by incompetent ADs (Miami has been and still is). I don't know enough about Swann to make an accurate assessment. Having said that, it's something I've learned the last 2 coaching cycles, HC's that hire close friends and family are a red flag. Al Golden hired his best friend at defensive coordinator and never fired him while making every excuse in the book for him. This season, Miami has arguably the worst QB play in the Power 5 going on year 3. The fact that Richt's kid is the QB coach where he was a GA at UGA for 1 year, than an intern for the Bills the next, then by year 3 landing that job was a red flag for Canes fans.

From the outside looking in, Helton doesn't look like he's the coach. I couple Miami and USC together in defense against Wiggy's asinine statement saying that Miami (and I don't know if he put USC in the same category) won't ever be back. Because Miami's always had to recruit against a litany of schools in a deep recruiting area, and I'd imagine that USC has the same annual issues which just comes with the territory. But again, both schools' issues are coaching. You hire the right coach, than things tend to work out. Happened at Clemson as an example whom prior to Dabo, wasn't really known for winning.
USC definitely does not have the same recruiting issues.

USC is still, in my opinion, the top dog West of the rocky mountains recruiting wise.

Miami has fallen behind all manner of SEC teams and some ACC teams in their part of the country. OSU even steals guys from Florida/the South more and more since Meyer has been there.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC definitely does not have the same recruiting issues.

USC is still, in my opinion, the top dog West of the rocky mountains recruiting wise.

Miami has fallen behind all manner of SEC teams and some ACC teams in their part of the country. OSU even steals guys from Florida/the South more and more since Meyer has been there.

It's always been like that. Notice that UF and FSU also seldom fall behind in recruiting cycles, so where's the issues there?

Again, Miami's issues aren't recruiting. Miami's issues are coaching. Plain and simple. You could have a team loaded to the brim with 4 and 5 star talent, but if you don't develop talent and put them in the best position to succeed - they're going to fail.

Take your team for instance. Greg Schiano has failed as a DC this year given the debacle at Purdue. With the talent that Ohio State brings in, they should not have such a mediocre defense. Yet here were are heading to the finality of the football season, and Ohio State has a defense ranked at 69:

Stats - College Football FBS | NCAA.com

Meanwhile, Miami doesn't have as many 5 and 4 star players. Yet at the moment, they have the #2 ranked defense.

I'll concede that Bama and LSU have better defenses than Miami despite what the statistics say. But it proves my point, coaching 100% matters. And Miami isn't some bottom dweller in terms of recruiting as more often than not, they roll out a top 10/15 class every cycle.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always been like that. Notice that UF and FSU also seldom fall behind in recruiting cycles, so where's the issues there?

Again, Miami's issues aren't recruiting. Miami's issues are coaching. Plain and simple. You could have a team loaded to the brim with 4 and 5 star talent, but if you don't develop talent and put them in the best position to succeed - they're going to fail.

Take your team for instance. Greg Schiano has failed as a DC this year given the debacle at Purdue. With the talent that Ohio State brings in, they should not have such a mediocre defense. Yet here were are heading to the finality of the football season, and Ohio State has a defense ranked at 69:

Meanwhile, Miami doesn't have as many 5 and 4 star players. Yet at the moment, they have the #2 ranked defense.

I'll concede that Bama and LSU have better defenses than Miami despite what the statistics say. But it proves my point, coaching 100% matters. And Miami isn't some bottom dweller in terms of recruiting as more often than not, they roll out a top 10/15 class every cycle.
perhaps losing the #1 recruit in the entire country on defense has something to do with that?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
perhaps losing the #1 recruit in the entire country on defense has something to do with that?

Ohio State's defense wasn't that good prior to losing Bosa. Also, when you consistently recruit 4 and 5 star players, your defense shouldn't be ranked in the high 60's despite losing your best defensive player. You're literally proving my point. You sound like the Miami media in terms of making excuses for Richt's ineptitude at putting together a competent offense.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. If Helton has learned his lesson about hiring close friends/being too loyal to assistants, then I think he could be the guy. At worst, he stabilized the program and gave us an actual adult running things. As a fan, I can say that it's been nice to be able to watch ESPN without having to see our head coaches name come up over something stupid that he did. lol

The thing with Helton is if you just look at his first 2 full seasons on the whole, he's had a 10 win season, an 11 win season, won a Rose Bowl, is 3-1 vs. UCLA and Notre Dame and won a PAC-12 title. Hard to fire a guy that's done all of that.

However, when you dig a little deeper, you see that, outside of the 2016 Rose Bowl and last years PAC-12 CCG, his teams haven't performed well in "marquee games". There was getting destroyed against Alabama, getting dominated by tOSU last year and then the debacle against Texas this year. All of that should, at least, have his seat getting pretty warm.

As for Miami never being back...that's pretty ridiculous when youi consider they are in the middle of one of the biggest recruiting hotbeds in the country. Like USC, they can literally put together great recruiting class after great recruiting class without leaving their home state. Also like USC, they need to hire the right coach to make it all work.