• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the first one that came up when I searched, and seems while they have Curry as above avg. in defense he isn't far above Love, who would also be in the average range (maybe a little above). And he's ahead of many guys considered to be good defenders.

Oh....Klay Thompson is far below Love.

This isn't to say I believe Love is a better defender (I don't) but it's tough to gauge defense.....

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/stats...&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0&opp=0&page=3

Defense is the toughest metric to gauge, IMO. A lot of it relies on the eye test too, which is different from a lot of other measurable aspects.

I mean last night Harden shot 50% from the field from everyone who was a primary defender, but was only 1 for 5 against Curry. That's not saying that Curry is necessarily better than the other defenders, it's just in those possessions he had success. Andre Iguodala guarded Harden a lot last night and I wouldn't ever say that Curry is a superior defender to Iguodala.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. It's a part of defense, much in that the overall goal of a defensive possession is to prevent the other team from scoring. However, IMO, it's not the main driving force of defense. It's certainly a factor though.

Definitely not the main driving force. Hindering/preventing the initial shot is the main force. The rebound just finishes the play, so to speak.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's not just one game with Klay and you know this. The deflection is talking about Green when the topic is Klay and you know this too.

Please never change
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense is the toughest metric to gauge, IMO. A lot of it relies on the eye test too, which is different from a lot of other measurable aspects.

I mean last night Harden shot 50% from the field from everyone who was a primary defender, but was only 1 for 5 against Curry. That's not saying that Curry is necessarily better than the other defenders, it's just in those possessions he had success. Andre Iguodala guarded Harden a lot last night and I wouldn't ever say that Curry is a superior defender to Iguodala.
Agreed.....But most were thinking metrics supported the notion Klay was great and Love was awful.

Again, I don't believe Love is better, but do think he's better than given credit. He's a solid help defender and at leaves gives effort (and we know others who are better but don't). He also is smart and knows what he is supposed to do.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston played game 2 without Paul and game 3 without Harden......

The only game I'm willing to throw out is the first game.

Game 2 being a 1 pt loss means nothing to me. These are 2 of the top 5 teams IMO so these games should typically be very close and decided in the final 2 minutes.

Game 3 was very similar to last night actually. Shorthanded team had a double digit lead in the 4th and the game got way too close in the final minutes.
Houston had tied the score at least two times last night...they had more than enough chances to take over that game last night but they couldn't.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston had tied the score at least two times last night...they had more than enough chances to take over that game last night but they couldn't.

not in the 4th.......

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It affects the defense by preventing another possession. It does nothing to prevent/hinder the initial shot/play however. It's a grey area, like special teams in football.
I mean, if we're looking at this logically, if there is a rebound to be had somebody wasn't effective at playing defense or stopping the play for those whom might find this concept challenging.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did? I said he is a great defensive rebounder which is part of defense. Never said it made him a great overall defender.

For some reason, though, I don't see you owning up to your gaffe.
lol that is not what you said. You only agreed it was "part" of defense when someone else brought it to your attention. I am over here dying laughing..

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston loves losing big games at home lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, if we're looking at this logically, if there is a rebound to be had somebody wasn't effective at playing defense or stopping the play for those whom might find this concept challenging.
This is your "logic"

There are plenty of "rebounds to be had" against GS as the other team does get off a number of shots. So I guess you are thinking Klay's D is nothing special?

You have to be up for post of the year with that pearl of wisdom. I'll nominate you.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol that is not what you said. You only agreed it was "part" of defense when someone else brought it to your attention. I am over here dying laughing..
Yeah...I get you post based on poster but find where I said defensive rebounding made Love a good defender.

I'll hang up and lsiten.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are you saying that he thought defensive rebounding was the only part of defense that mattered?

(wtf?)

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did? I said he is a great defensive rebounder which is part of defense. Never said it made him a great overall defender.

For some reason, though, I don't see you owning up to your gaffe.

LOL. You used it to prop up his defensive abilities. Semantics.