• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly,

I think he should probably cut his minutes anyway.

Try to keep him near 8 minutes a quarter or even a little less.

Maybe with a somewhat reduced minute load he will be able to compete a bit more defensively.

They need to sign someone to take those minutes; the Lakers don't really have a reliable backup for Lebron.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem, believe it or not, is more about Lonzo being out than anything. They were a top 10 defense when he was in and bottom 5 when he's out.

They have been stepping up the defense at certain parts of games, but they haven't been consistent enough with it and have run out of gas late in games.
Agreed, Lonzo is a better defender than anything else at this point in his career. Maybe he can do what Klay did & add a dimension to his game - such as develop some kind of consistent shot or offensive move. In Klay's case he became a much better defender.

In any event, maybe the silver lining here is that they were close enough to the post season for it to matter that they didn't make it & can/will use it as motivation to get better. Only time will tell.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kzma and Ingram have been playing their asses off- and its the first season for either of them playing meaningful games into March- so it doesnt surprise me they are beat up at this point- but the same can be said for most guys in the league when you are almost 70 games into a season. In some ways- its easier on the younger guys since they should bounce back quicker- in some ways its tougher since they havent gone through it yet.

I think Ingram has done a decent job of restoring some of his value the past few weeks though and Kuzma has without a doubt raised his overall value this year.

Ball- there were some injury and shooting concerns coming into this year and he will leave this year with injury and shooting concerns.

I think if the Lakers do not pursue Davis and instead pursue Beal, that Ingram's play of late will help them in that regard if they decide to deal him.

Agree with pretty much all of this. Since the all star break, Ingram has looked like the #2 pick in the draft and Kuzma has looked pretty much all season like he should have been picked much earlier.

Agree about Ball. He has shown that he can run an offense and lead a team defensively, but yeah, there are still shooting and injury concerns.

It's kind of sad that Ingram and Kuzma playing as well as they have might be what gets them traded. But, that's life in the NBA, especially when you have Lebron. lol

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG: Sexton
SG: Osman
SF: LeBron
PF: Love
C: TT
bench: Delly, Nance, Clarkson, Henson

PG: Ball
SG: Ingram
PF: Kuzma
C: McGee

bench: Stephenson, Rondo, KCP, Chandler

i know it wont come as a surprise, but i think if Team 1 and Team 2 played eachother in a playoff series, Team 1 would win.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are just butt-hurt

to say its "dick riding" to state the obvious- that LeBron is a top 3 player of all time- just makes you look like a butt hurt little bitch thats been used and abused and left on the side of the road with a sore asshole.

seems to me he's spent more time under YOUR personal sheets...

obvious your talking from experience about being that bitch with the sore asshole...

#ownthatride:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the guy's entertainment at least...

he can't help but complain, then tries to make it look like a ME problem...

way i look at it...

1.) ignore my posts...

2.) write his congressman...

either one's fine with me...:lol:
Can you quote a time where I complained? I enjoy our little chats :dhd::pound::lol::heh:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG: Sexton
SG: Osman
PF: Love
C: TT
bench: Delly, Nance, Clarkson, Henson

PG: Ball
SG: Ingram
PF: Kuzma
C: McGee

bench: Stephenson, Rondo, KCP, Chandler

i know it wont come as a surprise, but i think if Team 1 and Team 2 played each other in a playoff series, Team 1 would win.

Team 1 doesn't have that SF.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious; what kind of RFA offer would it take to steal Thomas Bryant back from the Wizards?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looked like a high sprain...looked painful too. He did it on his own making a move to the basket.

Good news is he won't miss much time due to them likely missing the playoffs. Bad news is they likely miss the playoffs. lol

If it's a high sprain, especially a bad one, he may not play the rest of the season. I've had a lot of sprained ankles in my life, but only one high ankle sprain. That damn thing took forever to heal right.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with pretty much all of this. Since the all star break, Ingram has looked like the #2 pick in the draft and Kuzma has looked pretty much all season like he should have been picked much earlier.

Agree about Ball. He has shown that he can run an offense and lead a team defensively, but yeah, there are still shooting and injury concerns.

It's kind of sad that Ingram and Kuzma playing as well as they have might be what gets them traded. But, that's life in the NBA, especially when you have Lebron. lol
i definitely do not think its Ingram's and Kuzma's fault the Lakers are where they are.

If I were to list reasons why they are were they are I would go:

1. Magic's and Pelinka's efforts to build the team- lack of shooting, lack of character guys- and one underated aspect- putting a bunch of guys on 1 year contracts playing for deals and a bunch of young guys together does not make for a very stable mix;

2. LeBron's Leadership (or lack there of it).- LeBron's lack of leadership- he went from a guy that other players rallied around and loved to play with, to a guy that the other guys just look like they do not enjoy being led by. He seemed to make a lot of excuses, and never blame himself or take responsibility.

LeBron used to inspire and, even the last couple years in Cleveland, seemed to be becoming more bitter and more detached and less willing to be the leader that the guys needed and it really showed this year in LA.

3. Injuries- LeBron's of course, but at 34, having already played almost 200 more games than Michael Jordan played in his career- you couldnt count on iron man LeBron to play 80 games anymore- Lonzo Ball continuing not being able to stay healthy. Every team has injuries and the Lakers injuries were not out of line with a lot of teams though. I mean look at a team like the PAcers who lost their best player for the year, or the Rockets who lost Paul and Capela for months at a time.

4. Walton's rotations/matchups

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's a high sprain, especially a bad one, he may not play the rest of the season. I've had a lot of sprained ankles in my life, but only one high ankle sprain. That damn thing took forever to heal right.

it's one of the worst you can have, actually...

especially considering the downtime that usually follows...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team 1 doesn't have that SF.
are you sure? lol

I was just saying, hypothetically, even considering the Lakers are going for it, and the Cavs are rebuilding and traded away a bunch of their win-now guys, at the WORST there is not an appreciable difference between the talent levels on both teams sans LeBron.

Back court: Ball, Ingram, Rondo, Bullock vs. Sexton, Clarkson, Osman, Delly - id give the Lakers the advantage but i wouldnt say its huge. Cavs def. have the shooting advantage.

front court: McGee, Kuzma, Chandler, Wagner vs. Love, TT, Nance, Henson - big advantage for the Cavs.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i definitely do not think its Ingram's and Kuzma's fault the Lakers are where they are.

If I were to list reasons why they are were they are I would go:

1. Magic's and Pelinka's efforts to build the team- lack of shooting, lack of character guys- and one underated aspect- putting a bunch of guys on 1 year contracts playing for deals and a bunch of young guys together does not make for a very stable mix;

2. LeBron's Leadership (or lack there of it).- LeBron's of course, but at 34, having already played almost 200 more games than Michael Jordan played in his career- you couldnt count on iron man LeBron to play 80 games anymore- Lonzo Ball continuing not being able to stay healthy. LeBron's lack of leadership- he went from a guy that other players rallied around and loved to play with, to a guy that the other guys just look like they do not enjoy being led by. He seemed to make a lot of excuses, and never blame himself or take responsibility.

LeBron used to inspire and, even the last couple years in Cleveland, seemed to be becoming more bitter and more detached and less willing to be the leader that the guys needed and it really showed this year in LA.

3. Injuries- LeBron's of course, but at 34, having already played almost 200 more games than Michael Jordan played in his career- you couldnt count on iron man LeBron to play 80 games anymore- Lonzo Ball continuing not being able to stay healthy. Every team has injuries and the Lakers injuries were not out of line with a lot of teams though. I mean look at a team like the PAcers who lost their best player for the year, or the Rockets who lost Paul and Capela for months at a time.

4. Walton's rotations/matchups

This was never intended to be a finished product this year. The 1 year contract fill-ins are evidence of that. The Lakers added one big piece, missed on a second, so they are punting their cap space to next year. Any expectations for this season really aren't much of a factor, as there really shouldn't be any. The Lakers will continue to build the roster this summer, hopefully adding that second max-type player.

People are expecting a winning show car that hasn't finished the restoration yet. The engine was replaced and some bodywork has been done, but the project isn't finished.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some of it is that- but some of it is, from what i read, that stephenson and mcgee- 2 guys that were playing decent defense early- have seen their metrics fall off a cliff of late.

Magic and Pelinka had what? 3.5 to beasley, 12 to KCP, 9 to Rondo, 4.5 to stephenson, 2.5 to mcgee....thats a total of about 32M in cap space to fill out the roster with 1 year deals and i just think they didnt do a good job in the guys they picked.

I agree. I just don't think there was a lot available at the time.

Despite the obvious flaws, that roster was working when everyone was healthy and playing the minutes they were intended.

Once the injuries started, they had guys taking on bigger roles than they were expected to and they started showing why they were available on 1 year deals later in the FA period.

I think they had 2 things they may have overlooked. I think they should have brought Slowpez back. He's not great, but he can space the floor which creates lanes for Lebron, Ingram, etc, that they just don't have with McGee and Chandler.

They also should have tried to sign Ellington who I hear was available.

Having said that, I don't know who all the Lakers talked to. Just because a guy is available, doesn't mean you automatically get him. They may have talked to guys who were looking for more opportunity to play and/or start than they would have had with the Lakers.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I just don't think there was a lot available at the time.

Despite the obvious flaws, that roster was working when everyone was healthy and playing the minutes they were intended.

Once the injuries started, they had guys taking on bigger roles than they were expected to and they started showing why they were available on 1 year deals later in the FA period.

I think they had 2 things they may have overlooked. I think they should have brought Slowpez back. He's not great, but he can space the floor which creates lanes for Lebron, Ingram, etc, that they just don't have with McGee and Chandler.

They also should have tried to sign Ellington who I hear was available.

Having said that, I don't know who all the Lakers talked to. Just because a guy is available, doesn't mean you automatically get him. They may have talked to guys who were looking for more opportunity to play and/or start than they would have had with the Lakers.

The biggest head-scratcher to me was waiving Thomas Bryant. Couldn't afford a non-guaranteed $1.8M?

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was never intended to be a finished product this year. The 1 year contract fill-ins are evidence of that. The Lakers added one big piece, missed on a second, so they are punting their cap space to next year. Any expectations for this season really aren't much of a factor, as there really shouldn't be any. The Lakers will continue to build the roster this summer, hopefully adding that second max-type player.

People are expecting a winning show car that hasn't finished the restoration yet. The engine was replaced and some bodywork has been done, but the project isn't finished.

yeah, this was never about a title from the giddyup, least not THIS season...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, Lonzo is a better defender than anything else at this point in his career. Maybe he can do what Klay did & add a dimension to his game - such as develop some kind of consistent shot or offensive move. In Klay's case he became a much better defender.

Hell, I'd settle for him adding being a decent free throw shooter. lol

I love how he runs the offense, I love his vision and passing, I love his defense...I cringe every time he shoots.

In any event, maybe the silver lining here is that they were close enough to the post season for it to matter that they didn't make it & can/will use it as motivation to get better. Only time will tell.

Yeah, if nothing else, the kids have gotten to play some meaningful games late in the season. That should help them going forward.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, this was never about a title from the giddyup, least not THIS season...

...and when has a first round exit ever been an acceptable target for the Lakers? Doesn't bother me if they miss the playoffs if there is no real threat of a run.