• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how he has been remarkably different than most of the other owners. Other than writing a temper tantrum letter to Lebron after he left that easily could have prevented the team from getting him back.

I don't think he is the worst owner by any means. Not even bottom 5. But I am also not going to give him a ton of credit for having a team that got 20% of the No. 1 picks in the last 20 years.

That strategy worked and led to 4 finals and 1 championship. I bet you if Gilbert was the owner of the Lakers, they would be significantly better then this mess you see right now...

In the last half decade we may look back at the only teams to have won was the Cavs and GS

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best? Nope. But if you ask the top criteria I want in an owner obscene will to win/willingness to spend is #1. Most rip him for instability yet nearly every coach and GM he hires comes from within the organization.

Just sayin'.

Nearly every coach Gilbert's hired has come from within the organization? Didn't look up the GM info.

-Mike Brown was an assistant w/ the Pacers, Spurs & Wizards before being the Cavs coach. He had no connection to the Cavs before he was hired.

-Byron Scott was the coach of the Hornets & Nets + an assistant w/ the Kings before being the Cavs coach. He had no connection to the Cavs before he was hired.

-David Blatt was a coach overseas before being the Cavs coach. He had no connection to the Cavs before he was hired.

-Tyronn Lue. Yes he was an assistant w/ the Cavs before he was the coach.
-Larry Drew. Yes he was an assistant w/ the Cavs before he was the coach.

So 60% (3 outta 5) of the coaches since Gilbert bought the team had no connection to the Cavs.

Just sayin'.:heh:

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 23,459.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"While the failures can't be placed on any one person, James, Johnson and general manager Rob Pelinka will have to answer for a lot of it. Head coach Luke Walton could lose his job over it. Most of the roster wasn't going to be back next year anyway, given the team's insistence on signing players to only one-year contracts to preserve salary-cap space for a second star this summer. But you have to assume even larger-scale roster changes will be implemented given the disappointment of this season."

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"While the failures can't be placed on any one person, James, Johnson and general manager Rob Pelinka will have to answer for a lot of it. Head coach Luke Walton could lose his job over it. Most of the roster wasn't going to be back next year anyway, given the team's insistence on signing players to only one-year contracts to preserve salary-cap space for a second star this summer. But you have to assume even larger-scale roster changes will be implemented given the disappointment of this season."

Magic won't lose his job. LeBron won't lose his job. Pelinka better watch his back. And Walton better start looking for a new job 30 seconds after the season ends.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 23,459.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic won't lose his job. LeBron won't lose his job. Pelinka better watch his back. And Walton better start looking for a new job 30 seconds after the season ends.

Oh, I know.....Walton is taking the heat for this, especially after the players were arguing with him last night.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I know.....Walton is taking the heat for this, especially after the players were arguing with him last night.

This isn't what I was expecting out of your Lakers this year. Of course LeBron's injury didn't help things. I thought they would win around 46 games. Not sure they make that mark w/ how they've been playing lately though.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nearly every coach Gilbert's hired has come from within the organization? Didn't look up the GM info.

-Mike Brown was an assistant w/ the Pacers, Spurs & Wizards before being the Cavs coach. He had no connection to the Cavs before he was hired.

-Byron Scott was the coach of the Hornets & Nets + an assistant w/ the Kings before being the Cavs coach. He had no connection to the Cavs before he was hired.

-David Blatt was a coach overseas before being the Cavs coach. He had no connection to the Cavs before he was hired.

-Tyronn Lue. Yes he was an assistant w/ the Cavs before he was the coach.
-Larry Drew. Yes he was an assistant w/ the Cavs before he was the coach.

So 60% (3 outta 5) of the coaches since Gilbert bought the team had no connection to the Cavs.

Just sayin'.:heh:
Yep...another mistake. Should have gone with the GMs only.

Think he inherited Ferry, then hired Grant, Griffin and Altman from within. Though Brown kind of from within the 2nd time as he was a former coach.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 23,459.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't what I was expecting out of your Lakers this year. Of course LeBron's injury didn't help things. I thought they would win around 46 games. Not sure they make that mark w/ how they've been playing lately though.
Me too.

James has been hurt, Ingram has been hurt, Ball and Rondo have both missed time, plus Hart and others.....I said they should 45-50 wins and would make the playoffs, unless they got hit with injuries.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think Pelinka is safe as wasn't he a Magic hire? doubt Magic wants to admit a gaffe he might have made and seemed like Magic was the front man on their moves.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...another mistake. Should have gone with the GMs only.

Think he inherited Ferry, then hired Grant, Griffin and Altman from within. Though Brown kind of from within the 2nd time as he was a former coach.

If the Lakers miss the playoffs (which looks very possible right now) I hope Gilbert takes an add out in the Plain Dealer (and Akron Beacon Journal) making fun of LeBron for missing the playoffs.

#gilbertin2020

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too.

James has been hurt, Ingram has been hurt, Ball and Rondo have both missed time, plus Hart and others.....I said they should 45-50 wins and would make the playoffs, unless they got hit with injuries.
about what I figured.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers miss the playoffs (which looks very possible right now) I hope Gilbert takes an add out in the Plain Dealer (and Akron Beacon Journal) making fun of LeBron for missing the playoffs.

#gilbertin2020
I do wonder what the narrative here would be had we not won a title. Might take out an ad during the Finals.