• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie should get some blame. The Celtics are now 1-7 in the last 8 games he's played in. And 6-1 in the previous 7 he missed.

This is Walton's 3rd year as Lakers coach. He's 91-136 (.401) w/ no playoff appearances.

Stevens record going back the same 3 year period is 146-82 (.640). With back to back conference finals trips.

Lue. Most would say his coaching success is only because of LeBron. And until he gets another job & proves otherwise that's how he'll be looked at.

Walton gets blame because he's done nothing as a coach. Steven gets a bit of a pass right now due to his recent success.
Mostly fair points. But Kyrie was the same guy here (maybe even worse as he wanted out) and Lue made it work. Lue never lost to Stevens, BTW, and went further than any Stevens coached team.

That said, can't disagree Lebron had a lot to do with his success. And who knows what he'd do without him if we ever find out.

But you must admit, even with a better record than Stevens, Lue was always blamed (and they went further than any Stevens team) while Stevens is getting a pass. With Kyrie and Hayward back many thought the Cs would roll to the Finals and they might not even get home court in round 1.

FTR, Walton was 29-2 when he took over for Kerr as the HC in GS.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly fair points. But Kyrie was the same guy here (maybe even worse as he wanted out) and Lue made it work. Lue never lost to Stevens, BTW, and went further than any Stevens coached team.

That said, can't disagree Lebron had a lot to do with his success. And who knows what he'd do without him if we ever find out.

But you must admit, even with a better record than Stevens, Lue was always blamed (and they went further than any Stevens team) while Stevens is getting a pass. With Kyrie and Hayward back many thought the Cs would roll to the Finals and they might not even get home court in round 1.

FTR coaching the loaded Warriors isn't the same as coaching a Lakers team that hasn't seen the playoffs in however many years it's been now. Nice try there.

Kyrie doesn't seem to be a good fit for this Celtics team & I'm not sure Hayward's really 100%. That would be my guess as to why Stevens has gotten a pass.

And if Lue's the good/great coach you keep insisting on we'll find out during the off season. Will any team out there offer Lue a head coaching position?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR coaching the loaded Warriors isn't the same as coaching a Lakers team that hasn't seen the playoffs in however many years it's been now. Nice try there.

Kyrie doesn't seem to be a good fit for this Celtics team & I'm not sure Hayward's really 100%. That would be my guess as to why Stevens has gotten a pass.

And if Lue's the good/great coach you keep insisting on we'll find out during the off season. Will any team out there offer Lue a head coaching position?
Sorry, plan wasn't to get into this again, but got bored.

When did I say Lue was a great or even a good coach? Said he's OK, but having Lebron sure helps.

As for walton, you are saying coaches will do better or worse depending on their players? wow...who'd have thunk?

you are proving my point, though.....making excuse after excuse for Stevens. Kyrie went days without even talking to anyone when he was here. You think he was a good fit? Somehow, they made it work and went further with Lue than Stevens has ever gone.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, plan wasn't to get into this again, but got bored.

When did I say Lue was a great or even a good coach? Said he's OK, but having Lebron sure helps.

As for walton, you are saying coaches will do better or worse depending on their players? wow...who'd have thunk?

you are proving my point, though.....making excuse after excuse for Stevens. Kyrie went days without even talking to anyone when he was here. You think he was a good fit? Somehow, they made it work and went further with Lue than Stevens has ever gone.

I haven't made any excuses for Stevens. Have you asked me directly who I'd put some of the blame on? Nope. This is what I think of the situation. Yes Stevens deserves some blame, he's the damn coach. All I have said is Stevens isn't getting the shit Walton's getting because he has had success coaching.

You're just always looking to argue w/ anyone in the NBA threads all the time. It what you do on a daily basis.

And you're the person that went outta his way to mention Walton was 29-2 w/ the Warriors. I was the one that said his record w/ the Warriors means nothing for the Lakers. Then you just repeated what I already said.

Are you done playing your little games?

Last edited:

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't made any excuses for Stevens. Have you asked me directly who I'd put some of the blame on? Nope. This is what I think of the situation. Yes Stevens deserves some blame, he's the damn coach. All I have said is Stevens isn't getting the shit Walton's getting because he has had success coaching.

You're just always looking to argue w/ anyone in the NBA threads all the time. It what you do on a daily basis.

And you're the person that went outta his way to mention Walton was 29-2 w/ the Warriors. I was the one that said his record w/ the Warriors means nothing for the Lakers. The you just repeated what I already said.

Are you done playing your little games?
No games at all, Wamu. Just a conversation. You were free not to reply to my comment. could it be you like to argue? Make good points and I'll acknowledge them (as I have).

Fair point about Stevens/Walton though not sure it's fair to not count Walton's time in GS. Sure, they have a ton of talent but doesn't stop many from saying Kerr is an exceptional coach. Have you ever seen him coach another team?

And, yes, you did make excuses for Stevens.......Kyrie not a good fit, Hayward not 100% would be excuses.

Know who else has had success coaching (like you mention regarding Stevens, and why he gets no shit)? Name rhymes with Shmoo. Yet you give him no credit and a lot of shit.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stevens strength is going to be player development and X and O's imo. Lue might actually be better at managing egos. So a guy like Kyrie might have worked better with Lue. But as for Walton let's look....Russell got better having left, Lonzo is a ?, Ingram seems to be up and down

As to Rozier, Jaylen Brown and Tatum. Is there any reason the Lakers rooks couldn't be just as good?

So Stevens took a team that lost Kyrie and Hayward and made the Eastern finals. Had Lue or Walton managed that I'd see them in the same regard.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, but as you said we don't know the situation with who they lost for the 6-10 season. What we know is in only 4 years he won a title. When it got to the point the team was being led by the guys Jerry Jones was picking they went downhill but only the 1 season.

True. But we also know that he didn't get fired for winning too much. lol

Yes, Gailey picked them back up to 10-6, then went 8-8 and back to 6-10 2 times. Sometimes, the same coach will have way more than a 4 game swing in consecutive seasons. Doesn't mean they were good one and forgot how to coach in the other.

Agree, but we also know that sometimes a coach walks into a situation where a team is already set up to win, the coach wins with that roster and then when the roster changes and they actually have to start coaching, they stop winning.

And, as mentioned, JJ never won more than 10 in Miami, but he left and they went 11-5 2 seasons in a row.

True, but again, the team improved under him. Not significantly because they were 8-8, 10-6 and 9-7, but they won a couple of playoff games. Under Switzer, the Cowboys got worse.

Having said that, as we both agree, there may have been other things that happened with the roster that hurt his ability to win. But looking at the records, it can't be denied that they performed worse with him. Plus, it's Jerry Jones, so anything is possible. lol

I do seem to remember reports that Switzer was more into being the Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys than he was in actually coaching them. If that's true, it may explain what happened more than anything else. I only remember that because I hate the Cowboys and was enjoying their demise. So, it may not even have been a factual report.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. But we also know that he didn't get fired for winning too much. lol

Agree, but we also know that sometimes a coach walks into a situation where a team is already set up to win, the coach wins with that roster and then when the roster changes and they actually have to start coaching, they stop winning.

True, but again, the team improved under him. Not significantly because they were 8-8, 10-6 and 9-7, but they won a couple of playoff games. Under Switzer, the Cowboys got worse.

Having said that, as we both agree, there may have been other things that happened with the roster that hurt his ability to win. But looking at the records, it can't be denied that they performed worse with him. Plus, it's Jerry Jones, so anything is possible. lol

I do seem to remember reports that Switzer was more into being the Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys than he was in actually coaching them. If that's true, it may explain what happened more than anything else. I only remember that because I hate the Cowboys and was enjoying their demise. So, it may not even have been a factual report.
I don't disagree with any of this but you forget one huge advantage JJ had....He had himself as the GM. Switzer had Jerry Jones (the other JJ) as his GM. when he still had Jonson's players, Switzer did very well. when they started leaving some and it was more Jones' players they lost more.

Is he an alltime great NFL coach? doubt anyone thinks this.....but getting ridiculed and called a clown for going 40-24 with a title over 4 seasons, when the previous guy won 2 over 9 seasons (or 7 if you want to discount the first 2 since he inherited a mess)?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No games at all, Wamu. Just a conversation. You were free not to reply to my comment. could it be you like to argue? Make good points and I'll acknowledge them (as I have).

Fair point about Stevens/Walton though not sure it's fair to not count Walton's time in GS. Sure, they have a ton of talent but doesn't stop many from saying Kerr is an exceptional coach. Have you ever seen him coach another team?

And, yes, you did make excuses for Stevens.......Kyrie not a good fit, Hayward not 100% would be excuses.

Know who else has had success coaching (like you mention regarding Stevens, and why he gets no shit)? Name rhymes with Shmoo. Yet you give him no credit and a lot of shit.

So I don't agree w/ you (again) & that means I like to agrue? Stop the nonsense. Just like how you got bent when I said in a compariosn of only Klay & Love I'd rather have Klay you made your own reality up & claimed I'd take Klay over AD or Embiid. Although I gotta admit I gotta hearty laugh outta that fantasy theory of yours.

And I don't think it's an excuse to say Kyrie isn't a good fit w/ the Celtics. Like I already mentioned just look @ the Celtics record recently with & without him. 1-7 in the last 8 w/ him. 6-1 in the last 7 w/o him.

Remind me again how Walton's coaching record w/ the Warriors has been a benefit for the Lakers.

I've already said Stevens should get some blame for the Celtics this year. But that's not good enough for you.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe they added Lebron and might only win 5 more games. Someone's gonna pay and we know it wont be Magic or Lebron.

Not when you consider all of the injuries (the most significant being to Lebron himself) it isn't.

All of this panic and shock cracks me up. This team was never going to win or even come particularly close to winning a title, even if Lebron were somehow able to play 48 minutes a game for all 82 games.

This team has never been more than an average at best team with a bunch of kids still learning how to play in the league and bunch 1 year guys that also happened to have the best player in the game on their side.

Almost everyone on here had them as a 5 seed at best and everyone knew that if Lebron missed anything more than the occasional "load management" game...this team was going to be in deep trouble.

Now, some folks want to act like they've been healthy all season and were expected to be contenders.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when the previous guy won 2 over 9 seasons (or 7 if you want to discount the first 2 since he inherited a mess)?

Actually, it was 2 in 5 seasons. Jimmy Johnson only coached the Cowboys from 1989-1993

I do agree though, that Switzer gets a bit of a bad rap because of some things that were outside of his control.

As you point out, Jimmy was his own GM. Then Jerry decided he wasn't getting enough credit, brought in Switzer, but started handling GM duties himself. So, in fairness, we don't know how the team would have performed if Switzer had the same kind of power that Jimmy Johnson had.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not when you consider all of the injuries (the most significant being to Lebron himself) it isn't.

All of this panic and shock cracks me up. This team was never going to win or even come particularly close to winning a title, even if Lebron were somehow able to play 48 minutes a game for all 82 games.

This team has never been more than an average at best team with a bunch of kids still learning how to play in the league and bunch 1 year guys that also happened to have the best player in the game on their side.

Almost everyone on here had them as a 5 seed at best and everyone knew that if Lebron missed anything more than the occasional "load management" game...this team was going to be in deep trouble.

Now, some folks want to act like they've been healthy all season and were expected to be contenders.
I wasn't here so can't say you did this but come on....when he made the move, many at the time said the Lakers roster was better than his Cavs' team last year.

Those young guys are all a year older AND they added Lebron? Even if he "only" plays 60ish games seems they should win more than a handful of extra games.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it was 2 in 5 seasons. Jimmy Johnson only coached the Cowboys from 1989-1993

I do agree though, that Switzer gets a bit of a bad rap because of some things that were outside of his control.

As you point out, Jimmy was his own GM. Then Jerry decided he wasn't getting enough credit, brought in Switzer, but started handling GM duties himself. So, in fairness, we don't know how the team would have performed if Switzer had the same kind of power that Jimmy Johnson had.
whoa. big gaffe by me...was looking at entire career when I said 9. Apologies.

But I think your comments are spot on. Never said Switzer was a great coach. Only disagreement was with those who said he sucks, is a clown, etc.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, Luke hasn't been the problem, but based on reports, he will be the fall guy.

Having said that, none of the reports that Luke is as good as gone, seem to be coming from the Lakers. The only direct quotes that I have seen involving Luke's status has been from Jeanie saying "Luke is our coach" and another statement saying there have been no internal discussions re: his job status and firing him.

Most of it seems to be based on Lebron being a "coach killer", which is a bit overblown since Blatt is really the only coach who has been fired directly because Lebron wanted it.

As for Lue, we don't know how good he is or isn't. As I mentioned before, the only things we do know is that, with him as coach, the Cavs met expectations, that he looks to have out coached Kerr in 2016 and that he is someone that could reel Lebron in when necessary.