• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his mentor on the Lakers would then be 36 years old, and likely looking for a steady hand into which he might pass his franchise’s torch
By 2021, that torch may much more likely be a dumpster fire that has raged for 3 years.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it was definitive or anything, but the Celtics really, really didn't look good last night.
Well sh!t... no argument there from me, buddy. ;)

Season series is tied up, though. No?

The C's have been in an on-again-off-again malaise for a while now... but...

It is the regular season. And it's not unheard-of for the playoffs to be a different story.

And the C's really need Baynes back in the worst way. Robert Williams got significant minutes last night, and he was just lit up on the defensive end... picked on left and right by a savvy Raptors team... the kid ain't ready.

If all goes well and Baynes gets healthy, Williams won't see a single meaningful minute in any potential playoff match-up.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans were feeling very brave in Denver last night.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so your saying that if given the choice between an equal contract from the New Orleans Pelicans, baskebtall siberia, and the grand and magical Magic Johnson in LA htat Randle would take the deal from New Orleans.

alrighty then.

Yes. Randle wanted out, as he was still put off from being benched by Walton earlier last season. Of course, that motivated Randle (which was the point), but he didn't take it well. Randle overestimated his market, so he took essentially a one year deal to replace Cousins with the Pelicans and become a free agent again this summer.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Magic doesn't have the ability to smooth things over?

Even if Magic wanted to smooth things over and re-sign Randle. He couldn't until Lebron was signed.

Randle signed with the Pelicans on July 2nd.

Lebron signed with the Lakers on July 9th.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is the regular season. And it's not unheard-of for the playoffs to be a different story.

And the C's really need Baynes back in the worst way. Robert Williams got significant minutes last night, and he was just lit up on the defensive end... picked on left and right by a savvy Raptors team... the kid ain't ready.

If all goes well and Baynes gets healthy, Williams won't see a single meaningful minute in any potential playoff match-up.
True.

Lowry is also dog shit for Toronto and they need Van Vleet back bad. Lin just doesn't do it there.

Of course, I'm also banking on getting playoff Kawhi. If he still has that gear, holy shit.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude, lebron used to conserve energy- and smartly

that is some next level shit though....if he used to ramp it up on defense a certain amount of the time because he was conserving energy, he is "conserving energy" a lot more than at any time inhis career.

There's also a difference is who he's supposed to be defending. Harder to hide on the weak side now.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, I'm also banking on getting playoff Kawhi. If he still has that gear, holy shit.
Yep.

The biggest obstacle that the C's or any team in the East would have to overcome in a playoff match-up against Toronto is that Kawhi is the best player on the floor.

Yes, I'm including Milwaukee and Giannis in that statement.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Magic wanted to smooth things over and re-sign Randle. He couldn't until Lebron was signed.

why couldn't he? There was plenty enough to keep Randle and sign Lebron.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't disagree, but teams have lost guys far better than Baynes and haven't been hurt as much. Indiana and Oladipo for instance.

I get a guy like Lebron doesn't care about reg. season or seeding, but this crew has not made it to the Finals and doubt the Cs are blowing off the reg. season.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually Lebron signed first. First reports of a deal being struck was July 1st. Julius Randle looks like agreed to terms on July 2nd. So it actually helps your argument that they basically had no opportunity to try and smooth things over with Randle. Once Lebron decided to join it was a done deal in having to renounce Randle's rights.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Randle wanted out, as he was still put off from being benched by Walton earlier last season. Of course, that motivated Randle (which was the point), but he didn't take it well. Randle overestimated his market, so he took essentially a one year deal to replace Cousins with the Pelicans and become a free agent again this summer.
And Magic didn't have the people skills to convince him this year would be different....."Julius, last year is over. We will have a brand new team with Lebron coming and you can be a big part of it. Play how I know you can and force your way into big minutes."

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why couldn't he? There was plenty enough to keep Randle and sign Lebron.

The Lakers were keeping cap room open for other free agency pursuits (and/or a Kawhi trade). Regardless, Randle wanted out. What is so hard to understand? The Lakers decided not to try to keep a disgruntled player over cap space for their still-active free agency pursuits. Cap flexibility has been top priority for several seasons now.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree, but teams have lost guys far better than Baynes and haven't been hurt as much. Indiana and Oladipo for instance.
It may seem strange... but Baynes' value to the Celtics is huge... whether he has a big name and big stat's or not:

^ And make that 22-22 without Baynes factoring in the L last night.

Last edited:

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may seem strange... but Baynes' value to the Celtics is huge... whether he has a big name and big stat's or not:
First, I don't doubt he matters some, but these are the types of stats that can be skewed (skewed might not be the best word). If his playing 15 minutes was so important, isn't Stevens smart enough to make sure he played 15 minutes EVERY game? why on earth would he play 15 minutes only 17 times and less than that 43 times? Possible he plays 15+ in games that get out of reach (I don't watch enough to know)?

Seems like when we hear about NFL teams winning when their RB gets 20-25 carries or more. Because they are winning, they get 20 carries or more (because they don't have to pass). They don't win because they got the 20 carries.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I don't doubt he matters some, but these are the types of stats that can be skewed (skewed might not be the best word). If his playing 15 minutes was so important, isn't Stevens smart enough to make sure he played 15 minutes EVERY game? why on earth would he play 15 minutes only 17 times and less than that 43 times? Possible he plays 15+ in games that get out of reach (I don't watch enough to know)?

Seems like when we hear about NFL teams winning when their RB gets 20-25 carries or more. Because they are winning, they get 20 carries or more (because they don't have to pass). They don't win because they got the 20 carries.
Baynes has gotten hurt mid-game a small handful of times this year... that fact may explain the stat better.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baynes has gotten hurt mid-game a small handful of times this year... that fact may explain the stat better.
Don't mistake my comments to be me ripping Baynes as he is a decent player, but he's borderline dime-a-dozen. sure if Williams is a replacement that's an issue, but really the question is why doesn't he play 15+ more often if it mattered so much.

did a little checking and this could be the reason for the success when he plays 15+. The following are the wins in these games.....
Philly
Milwaukee
Chicago
Toronto
@Atlanta
@Dallas
@New Orleans
Cleveland
@Minnesota
@Washington
Memphis
@Atlanta
Cleveland
Brooklyn
@NY

Of the 15 wins, they only beat a few with a pulse, and not one road win over a team who looks like they'll even make the playoffs.

FYI, they lost to the tough teams they played on the road - @Indiana and @Utah.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't mistake my comments to be me ripping Baynes as he is a decent player, but he's borderline dime-a-dozen. sure if Williams is a replacement that's an issue, but really the question is why doesn't he play 15+ more often if it mattered so much.
Again... the 15 minute cutoff is likely a product of the small handful of game where Baynes got hurt in the middle of a contest.
dtg said:
did a little checking and this could be the reason for the success when he plays 15+. The following are the wins in these games.....
Philly
Milwaukee
Chicago
Toronto
@Atlanta
@Dallas
@New Orleans
Cleveland
@Minnesota
@Washington
Memphis
@Atlanta
Cleveland
Brooklyn
@NY

Of the 15 wins, they only beat a few with a pulse, and not one road win over a team who looks like they'll even make the playoffs.

FYI, they lost to the tough teams they played on the road - @Indiana and @Utah.
Fair enough here... beating Philly, Milwaukee and Toronto stand out as relevant if we're talking about the Eastern Conference Playoffs, and we are.