• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe one way to go would be to instead of offer free tuition to the players, you pay them a 4-year tuition up front to go to the school. This would benefit everyone involved.

1) Big name players who are likely one and done guys will be able to pocket essentially 3 years worth of tuition. For a school like Duke where the tuition is close to 75k a year, they're being paid pretty much 220k+ for one year's worth of play.

2) The lesser players get to use that money for actual tuition if for an education. Since it's less likely they make the NBA, they get the benefit of a world class education to set them up in the future.

3) Add a final bonus of an additional 1 years worth of tuition payment for any collegiate athlete who stayed 4 years or more. Basically if a player played all 4 years at the school, he deserves some sort of compensation for his time there.

I think something like this makes more sense or allowing guys who can qualify the ability to borrow against their future earning potential at a low or nominal rate. I get that involves government in all likelihood if you tie it into FAFSA somehow though.

Students borrow way more than their tuition all the time why not extend even more to someone like Zion who will be good for it.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think something like this makes more sense or allowing guys who can qualify the ability to borrow against their future earning potential at a low or nominal rate. I get that involves government in all likelihood if you tie it into FAFSA somehow though.

Students borrow way more than their tuition all the time why not extend even more to someone like Zion who will be good for it.

The problem with this is that if you open up this qualification to all of the NCAA, it probably causes more harm than helps. There are very few players who enter collegiate sports who will turn pro. It only helps really the very few elite players and could present traps for fringe pro guys who borrow more than they're going to be able to repay.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with this is that if you open up this qualification to all of the NCAA, it probably causes more harm than helps. There are very few players who enter collegiate sports who will turn pro. It only helps really the very few elite players and could present traps for fringe pro guys who borrow more than they're going to be able to repay.

I guess compared to the 9.2 million people currently in default on their school loans it feels like a drop in the bucket. Can't protect people from themselves sometimes.

And yes the amount available would have to be based on future earning potential. Obviously such a calculation exists given that they extend insurance policies to college kids for this reason.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@dtgold88 what's with your boy Trevor Bauer going all fifty shades on us lol
He is definitely a different kind of cat. Guessing he said what most young, rich, single athletes are thinking. Just not with bullet points in an article.

Have to admit, he became a far better pitcher than I ever expected.

Zoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harden will carry the Rockets to a first round loss

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea someone pointed that out I was not aware. I guess I should've assumed Boston has your pick as they seemingly have everyone's

I know they have three for some reason I missed LA
Plus, it does the Clippers no good to lose 4 straight games by 50 plus to the Dubs.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@CitySushi , @LAD , @msgkings322 , @Hambombs

See, this is why the Dubs are a class Organization and the Clippers are the Clippers.

Perfect way to handle this as opposed to Doc saying that JJ was BEGGING to come back after he decided to sign with Philly.

Classy.

* waits for someone to site Lacobs light year comments*

The Warriors are favored to three-peat this season and feel their team, buoyed by the addition of Boogie Cousins, is in a good place as they enter the final seven weeks of the regular season. Durant’s future, they claim, is not a dark cloud hanging over their season. “We have no idea what he’s going to do,” said one team source. “Everyone wants him to stay. There’s not much more we can sell him on. If he leaves, we’ll think of it as being lucky to have him for three great years.”
Agreed.

I think KD really likes playing for this organization. It appears Boogie feels the same way. But nothing stays the same forever. I hope he stays at least one more season though.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm rooting for OKC and Philly.

I wouldn't be sad if the Bucks won either.

Sadly...

Golden-State-Monstars-Reddit-759x500.jpg
the mouth piece hanging out though :lol:

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not joking. Them reaching adulthood doesn't help much either.

My son is 22 and lives at home with my wife and I. Every time he says he's going someplace, I have to bite my tongue to keep from telling him no. Funny thing is, he's such a good son, that if I did tell him no...he wouldn't go. lol

My daughter and the 2 step-daughters are all 3 married and I still worry about them too. Every time one of them calls or texts, my first thought is..."What's wrong? What's happened?"
I can certainly relate. My son is also 22 and has moved back home. I hate having to watch him walk out the door without being able to force him to tell me where he's going.

And I'm the same way when he calls or texts. If he stays out late, which he does often, I always have to fight myself to keep from texting & calling him to check on him. The funniest thing though is my daughter is so bossy she usually will question him anytime he says he's leaving. She's 4 going on 14. lol

But on the other hand I am so glad I can send him to run my errands when I'm tired. lol

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is definitely a different kind of cat. Guessing he said what most young, rich, single athletes are thinking. Just not with bullet points in an article.

Have to admit, he became a far better pitcher than I ever expected.
Yep.

Lots do it.

But, most keep it low.

I will say, as a woman, I much prefer his level of honesty over Dude's like Swaggy P and Tristan Thompson.

Lou Williams on two girlfriends: ‘More players do that than you know. I was just the first person to have it mentioned on a song’

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang....

I don't think I realized how top heavy the 03 draft was until now.

Lots of guys with long careers.

But, the drop off after West was surprisingly steep when you remember this is regarded as one of the top 2 drafts ever.

2003 NBA re-draft: The way it should have been
I promise if the type of talent after Darko went after Anthony Bennett was taken, I'd have ripped the Cavs nonstop since that pick.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can certainly relate. My son is also 22 and has moved back home. I hate having to watch him walk out the door without being able to force him to tell me where he's going.

And I'm the same way when he calls or texts. If he stays out late, which he does often, I always have to fight myself to keep from texting & calling him to check on him. The funniest thing though is my daughter is so bossy she usually will question him anytime he says he's leaving. She's 4 going on 14. lol

But on the other hand I am so glad I can send him to run my errands when I'm tired. lol
Oh man....

It's kinda rural where we live.

Lots of open spaces for the trikes and quads.

So, I have been trying to teach my 15 year old how to drive.

Exercise in futility is a mild understatement.

She's so scary....lol

My 13 year old has one of those fat tire e scooters.

So, she does my almond, chip and soda runs to the store inside our Community Clubhouse....lol

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I promise if the type of talent after Darko went after Anthony Bennett was taken, I'd have ripped the Cavs nonstop since that pick.
Only reason I give the Pistons a pass is because they won a chip.

If they would have drafted Melo, would they still have traded for Rash-WEED?

Would Tayshawn have been suppressed?

Both those guys were essential to that run.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No clue what's gonna happen to my wife when daughter goes to college next year. she's very controlling. Daughter even tells me, "ya know I'm staying out drinking until 3am every night to make up for lost time, right"?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only reason I give the Pistons a pass is because they won a chip.

If they would have drafted Melo, would they still have traded for Rash-WEED?

Would Tayshawn have been suppressed?

Both those guys were essential to that run.
could be wrong but think they won the title before drafting Darko. I actually did understand the pick somewhat. could be argued they needed a big man more than anything. And were talented enough not to have to rush whoever they took.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could be wrong but think they won the title before drafting Darko. I actually did understand the pick somewhat. could be argued they needed a big man more than anything. And were talented enough not to have to rush whoever they took.
I'm to lazy to look.

But, if they won in 2004 and that draft was 2003, he was there.