• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I don't have to start a poll. I know for a fact people think the lottery has been rigged.

I just don't find it plausible. Way too much to lose for the league to actually do it.

And for every case that looks like it could have been rigged, there are 3-4 that obviously weren't. Which tells me that sometimes it just works out that the obvious team hits #1. And sometimes they should.
Nailed it. Could the frozen envelope of 1985 have taken place? I guess so. But in today's NBA under today's rules too many would need to know about it and if one guy spills the beans?

And we really think a guy like Cuban is allowing a setup for a team to win that isn't his?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But college players can't get paid lmao

The cost to attend Duke is approx $75K/year. They're getting some pay, even though they are basically discarding some of that value as one and done players.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my take on the NCAA situations with paying players:

I think the players are definitely deserving of some sort of income based on their play and what they make for the schools, but schools paying them is a slippery slope. What I would do is eliminate a lot of the clauses in the NCAA rules about players being able to profit off of their names. Players should be able to host events with their names, sign autographs for money, have off court endorsements, etc. I believe they also should get points on any merchandise that is sold using their names and likeness.

However in general, they should not be paid by the school simply to play there. It could create toxic environments and dynamics within the team if one player is getting paid say 500k a year to play there and their fellow teammate is getting much less. Then what happens if a player exceeds their base salary they negotiated? Do they get a chance to renegotiate? There's just too many variables because unlike the NBA the players have a freedom of movement.

I'm sure there are holes in what I've written above but this is just off the top of my head.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why the Clips wouldn't try to win not much of a difference in late lotto and low tier playoff

Big difference.

Miss the playoffs, keep the first rounder.

Make the playoffs, Celtics get the pick.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big difference.

Oh now I'm on the Clippers bandwagon until the end of the regular season.

Come on Doc, get your Boyz in the playoffs for the Celtics!

signed: Danny Ainge

asdasdasd.jpg

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the players are definitely deserving of some sort of income based on their play and what they make for the schools, but schools paying them is a slippery slope. What I would do is eliminate a lot of the clauses in the NCAA rules about players being able to profit off of their names. Players should be able to host events with their names, sign autographs for money, have off court endorsements, etc. I believe they also should get points on any merchandise that is sold using their names and likeness.

However in general, they should not be paid by the school simply to play there. It could create toxic environments and dynamics within the team if one player is getting paid say 500k a year to play there and their fellow teammate is getting much less. Then what happens if a player exceeds their base salary they negotiated? Do they get a chance to renegotiate? There's just too many variables because unlike the NBA the players have a freedom of movement.

I'm sure there are holes in what I've written above but this is just off the top of my head.
Right, and the issue with allowing them to host events and sell their autograph, what's to stop a booster from buying something for some crazy amount?

They probably deserve something but so tough to figure out how to do it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, you really can't have schools paying players for the reasons you mentioned. Also if, for example, you start paying the players in the revenue generating sports, you will also have to pay the players in the non-revenue generating sports.

I think that allowing players to make what they can off of their names and likenesses is probably the way to go. That way it's not coming from the school and it's something that any player in any sport can do.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, and the issue with allowing them to host events and sell their autograph, what's to stop a booster from buying something for some crazy amount?

They probably deserve something but so tough to figure out how to do it.

Yeah, like I said there are probably holes in what I wrote, and this is likely one of the biggest. There would need to be a certain structure in place, but it's a start.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you really can't have schools paying players for the reasons you mentioned. Also if, for example, you start paying the players in the revenue generating sports, you will also have to pay the players in the non-revenue generating sports.

I think that allowing players to make what they can off of their names and likenesses is probably the way to go. That way it's not coming from the school and it's something that any player in any sport can do.
Agree, but as mentioned, the boosters could could give certain schools an unfair advantage.,

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, like I said there are probably holes in what I wrote, and this is likely one of the biggest. There would need to be a certain structure in place, but it's a start.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply I was poking holes in your idea. Agree it's a start. Maybe they could just set a limit on what a player could earn. Still could have issues like you mention if one kid just thought he was getting less than someone else (especially if the kid making less thought he was better).

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, but as mentioned, the boosters could could give certain schools an unfair advantage.,

True. But if players are going to be paid in any way, I think that's the only way to do it.

Also, I'm not sure how much more of an advantage it gives. Pretty much all schools have rich boosters. Some schools may have more than others, but all schools have them.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. But if players are going to be paid in any way, I think that's the only way to do it.

Also, I'm not sure how much more of an advantage it gives. Pretty much all schools have rich boosters. Some schools may have more than others, but all schools have them.
This is probably the way to go, but think they need limits.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe one way to go would be to instead of offer free tuition to the players, you pay them a 4-year tuition up front to go to the school. This would benefit everyone involved.

1) Big name players who are likely one and done guys will be able to pocket essentially 3 years worth of tuition. For a school like Duke where the tuition is close to 75k a year, they're being paid pretty much 220k+ for one year's worth of play.

2) The lesser players get to use that money for actual tuition if for an education. Since it's less likely they make the NBA, they get the benefit of a world class education to set them up in the future.

3) Add a final bonus of an additional 1 years worth of tuition payment for any collegiate athlete who stayed 4 years or more. Basically if a player played all 4 years at the school, he deserves some sort of compensation for his time there.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe one way to go would be to instead of offer free tuition to the players, you pay them a 4-year tuition up front to go to the school. This would benefit everyone involved.

1) Big name players who are likely one and done guys will be able to pocket essentially 3 years worth of tuition. For a school like Duke where the tuition is close to 75k a year, they're being paid pretty much 220k+ for one year's worth of play.

2) The lesser players get to use that money for actual tuition if for an education. Since it's less likely they make the NBA, they get the benefit of a world class education to set them up in the future.

3) Add a final bonus of an additional 1 years worth of tuition payment for any collegiate athlete who stayed 4 years or more. Basically if a player played all 4 years at the school, he deserves some sort of compensation for his time there.

If schools are paying players, this would probably be the way to do it.

They'd have to figure out things like partial scholarships (mostly in the non-revenue sports) and walk-ons who earn scholarships. But this is the best idea I've seen as far as the schools paying players.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big difference.

Yea someone pointed that out I was not aware. I guess I should've assumed Boston has your pick as they seemingly have everyone's

I know they have three for some reason I missed LA