• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair, but Ty Lue was constantly ripped in Cleveland and all he did was get to 4 Finals and beat Stevens every time they faced off.

Walton was something like 29-2 when he coached GS.

I think most coaches are the same......give them talent they could win. Don't and they wont.
Unless you are Larry Brown, then you just win pretty much everywhere you coach

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dorsey has some street cred. I can at least tip my cap to Brown for loading up the picks for Dorsey to use.. And it looks like Garrett and Ogbonji were good picks. Peppers is kind of a meh pick so far but he's improving. And Njoku is solid thus far. The rest of their draft was garbage although Dorsey managed to flip Kizer for Randall at least
Garbage? Honestly, I would defy you to find one pick Sashi made not named Coleman who was a bad pick based on where they got him.

Last year 14 of 22 starters could be attributed to Sashi. He either drafted them, signed them in FA, acquired the pick used to draft them or acquired the player/pick used to trade for them.

Like Ward? sashi acquired that pick. Chubb? That was the pick acquired when Sashi made the unprecedented move of pretty much taking on a bad contract (Osweiler) to acquire a pick. something that really only happens in the NBA.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you are Larry Brown, then you just win pretty much everywhere you coach

I can't knock Vagabond Larry since he did snag us a title.

But SMH at Dumars...didn't like Carlisle ok we got Larry and then you make a good hire with flip (RIP) but you fire him for Michael fucking Curry? The horror.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look what ya did stakes......

come on wiggy. If Sashi did not have the team set up like he did, Dorsey doesn't even return Haslem's calls. No way Dorsey could have done what Brown and Dipodesta did starting in 2016 to springboard them to where it was time for Dorsey to take over.
i think what Sashi did was fine- but its nothing me or you couldnt have done.

His strategy was right but its not like its hard to implement---- suck and trade high draft picks for teams that want to take elite QBs like Wentz for a bunch of extra picks.

Sashi had no clue who to actually take in the draft or who to actually sign- but he did fine work in stripping it down and losing.

In the NFL its not like its hard to get a team to trade you a ton of stuff to go get Carson Wentz or DeShaun Watson- and in turn take Corey Coleman.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't knock Vagabond Larry since he did snag us a title.

But SMH at Dumars...didn't like Carlisle ok we got Larry and then you make a good hire with flip (RIP) but you fire him for Michael fucking Curry? The horror.
Not just a title. Unlike most title coaches who roll their superstars out there, Brown got one with no HOFers. Put that with getting Iverson and a bunch of stiffs to the Finals, AND an NCAA title, he's the best basketball coach ever

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think what Sashi did was fine- but its nothing me or you couldnt have done.

His strategy was right but its not like its hard to implement---- suck and trade high draft picks for teams that want to take elite QBs like Wentz for a bunch of extra picks.

Sashi had no clue who to actually take in the draft or who to actually sign- but he did fine work in stripping it down and losing.

In the NFL its not like its hard to get a team to trade you a ton of stuff to go get Carson Wentz or DeShaun Watson- and in turn take Corey Coleman.
I've heard many say it's an easy strategy. OK, if it's so easy, why did all the football guys before him fail to do it? They couldn't stomach what he did so they kept aging vets so they could win 3-6 games every year as opposed to bottoming out that was needed to be done. He even warned Halsem with Paul D you might want to stay away from the games for a couple seasons as it wont be pretty.

Can you name someone other than Coleman who was a bad pick based on where he was picked?

You don't think with the analytics they use that maybe they had an inkling Wentz might be an injury risk, which he's been every year but one since 2015? You don't think they were gearing to find their QB in the 2018 draft, which many had their eye on (and why they preferred to keep losing and get an extra pick that turned into Ward)?

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garbage? Honestly, I would defy you to find one pick Sashi made not named Coleman who was a bad pick based on where they got him.

Last year 14 of 22 starters could be attributed to Sashi. He either drafted them, signed them in FA, acquired the pick used to draft them or acquired the player/pick used to trade for them.

Like Ward? sashi acquired that pick. Chubb? That was the pick acquired when Sashi made the unprecedented move of pretty much taking on a bad contract (Osweiler) to acquire a pick. something that really only happens in the NBA.

The Osweiler move was solid I will give him that

But yes Peppers is about a league average safety so he needs to improve for that to be a good pick. Kizer is horrible, Wilson has never played a snap, the rest of them aren't on the team

But yes all in all it was a good draft overall. Although passing on Watson at the time looked pretty bad

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just a title. Unlike most title coaches who roll their superstars out there, Brown got one with no HOFers. Put that with getting Iverson and a bunch of stiffs to the Finals, AND an NCAA title, he's the best basketball coach ever

He's defenitely up there I agree. I thought you were being snarky.

To be fair it's not like the team was awful without Larry. Once they traded for AI though and made Curry coach that killed the Pistons

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But yes Peppers is about a league average safety so he needs to improve for that to be a good pick. Kizer is horrible, Wilson has never played a snap, the rest of them aren't on the team

But yes all in all it was a good draft overall. Although passing on Watson at the time looked pretty bad
Peppers is definitely better than league average and played better and better as last year went on. Kizer was once projected to go #1 and they got him in the second round at 52. He was then traded for a 1st rounder who is our starting safety. Hard to call that a miss.

Are you really calling mid-late round picks misses? What would you call Corbett and Chad Thomas? 2nd and 3rd rounders by football guy Dorsey who saw the field about as much as I did.

Not all picks will hit. FWIW, I wouldn't even call Corbett and Thomas misses as it's still early.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't love the Corbett pick to be honest. Id call them misses at this point.

Peppers made some serious strides last year I agree.

The Kizer pick is only not a miss because Dorsey flipped it lol

Honestly my biggest issue with Sashi is he wouldn't have made a move like grabbing Jarvis

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wasn't Mingo his pick at 6 in the 2013 draft? Hated that pick.
Gilbert at 8 for 2014. Hated that pick
Wasn't a big fan of Erving at 19 from FSU in 2015.
Not too mention the trainwreck in Manziel along with Corey "drops every ball" Coleman.

He did have some late round picks that worked out thought. Bitonio in the 2nd was a really good pick. Duke in the 3rd. Schobert in the 4th.

I have a feeling he would have fell flat on his face in this past draft though and it looks like Dorsey hit a couple BIG homeruns

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Mingo his pick at 6 in the 2013 draft? Hated that pick.
Gilbert at 8 for 2014. Hated that pick
Wasn't a big fan of Erving at 19 from FSU in 2015.
Not too mention the trainwreck in Manziel along with Corey "drops every ball" Coleman.

He did have some late round picks that worked out thought. Bitonio in the 2nd was a really good pick. Duke in the 3rd. Schobert in the 4th.

I have a feeling he would have fell flat on his face in this past draft though and it looks like Dorsey hit a couple BIG homeruns

Nah Farmer had a few of those he was even worse than Sashi. Sashi was only there two years

His Justin Gilbert selection is probably among the worst in Browns history.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah Farmer had a few of those he was even worse than Sashi. Sashi was only there two years

His Justin Gilbert selection is probably among the worst in Browns history.

I know he was with the Browns from 2013 to 2016. Yeah I guess Farmer made some of those but all those I named I hated, every single one and all 1st rounders. So frustrating

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he was with the Browns from 2013 to 2016. Yeah I guess Farmer made some of those but all those I named I hated, every single one and all 1st rounders. So frustrating

Browns have made a lot of really bad selections. My absolute least favorite ever will likely always be taking Gerard Warren over Ladanian Tomlinson

Couch had injury issues and I think Courtney Brown would've been a beast if not for injuries. But Warren over LT was jail worthy. As was trading down just to take Justin Gilbert. (A pick panned by almost everyone the day of the draft)

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard many say it's an easy strategy. OK, if it's so easy, why did all the football guys before him fail to do it? They couldn't stomach what he did so they kept aging vets so they could win 3-6 games every year as opposed to bottoming out that was needed to be done. He even warned Halsem with Paul D you might want to stay away from the games for a couple seasons as it wont be pretty.

Can you name someone other than Coleman who was a bad pick based on where he was picked?

You don't think with the analytics they use that maybe they had an inkling Wentz might be an injury risk, which he's been every year but one since 2015? You don't think they were gearing to find their QB in the 2018 draft, which many had their eye on (and why they preferred to keep losing and get an extra pick that turned into Ward)?
the football guys before him failed to do it becuase they were trying to win and not willing to sacrifice their careers

football is a little different than basketball in that way

a purposefully losing football team just gets its ass kicked physically and it wears on a team- i mean you saw it

i give Sashi credit for making that sacrifice. That is his biggest contribution- basically offering his good name up to be the scapegoat for absolutely sucking.

in the NFL its not hard to do what Sashi did- its just a huge personal sacrifice- one that likely ended any football career he had barely before it started--- and as i said- i give him credit for that- no doubt about it

but at the end of the day what he did was not tactically difficult.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the regular season.

You definitely play Hayward minutes in the regular season.

If it were the post season and Hayward was playing this mediocre and he was still getting minutes... they might have a point.

As it is... they don't.

The guy is even getting heckled by home fans.

He's not right.

I can understand playing him, working him back into shape during the first 3 quarters.

I will admit that I haven't watched a ton of Celtics games.

But, the ones I have, he has no business being on the court in the closing minutes of close games.

He's not doing you any favors defensively.

He barely helps on offense.