• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even the Buss daughter, Jeanie, is in her role as head of basketball ops for the first time.

No one the Lakers have in their most important positions have ever done the work of running a franchise before.

that just seems like a strange way to do things if you ask me.

I mean also if you look at the way the Warriors handled their situations is kind of a night and day difference. Before hiring Myers as their full time GM, they hired him initially as their assistant GM and kept Larry Riley to show him the ropes. Even though it was the plan all along to make him the GM, they put him a position to learn on the job without sacrificing much. Additionally when they first hired Mark Jackson, they forced him (against his wishes) to hire Mike Malone on their staff as their associate head coach. They brought in Jerry West to be a special advisor to the team.

I'm not against the hires of Luke and Pelinka (Luke especially given his hc experience with the Warriors), but Pelinka needed to get a year of being an assistant GM under his belt imo. Not to say anything would necessarily be different, but the approach would be more logical.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Lakers hired a first time head coach, an agent who had no experience being a GM, and Magic Johnson, who had no experience being a GM, to run the operations of their franchise.

Think about that.

No where in this organization is there really any experience and it explains a lot of the mistakes they have made.

Can anyone say the Lakers would not be much much better off if they say- hired David Griffin to be the GM and an experienced coach?
I don't have an issue with thinking outside the box.

It was an unorthodox, maybe misguided, approach.

But, it could have, and still can, be mitigated by hiring a good Assistant GM or Consultant.

But, they have to be willing to get out of their own way.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have an issue with thinking outside the box.

It was an unorthodox, maybe misguided, approach.

But, it could have, a d still can, be mitigated by hiring a good Assistant GM.
--like @CitySushi said--- obviously there is only 1 Jerry West---- but any kind of lifer NBA front office guy that can just look over things and give advice and could have nipped some of the AD failures in the bud is what they need.

David Griffin was a first time GM for the Cavs but he was an assistant GM for a LONG time with the Suns and then assistant GM with the Cavs before he was given the job. He was assistant basketball VP in Phoenix for 3 years (he had a total of 17 years in the Phoenix front office- starting in college and was there through the entire Nash/Stoudemire years) and then was VP/Assistant GM in Cleveland for 4 years before getting the job.

i seriously CANNOT believe that Griffin does not have a job. Especially for a team that would need to go through a rebuild.

I mean- i dont know if he would take it because of the pit falls- but he would be amazing for the Wizards. Minnesota would be a great landing spot for him. Memphis would be lucky tohave him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic kicked ass for Starbucks tho
Magic definitely has value as a marketer and recruiter and a personality to try and sell the Lakers as a franchise- but i just dont see where he has the skill set and wherewithal to be able to analyze personnel and structure trades and do all of that grinding monotonous work.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, you haven't seen the story yet?

Why did Magic bring this up when Brand said no a month ago?

Elton Brand: I Rejected Idea of Lakers' Magic Johnson Meeting with Ben Simmons
and Brand once again said emphatically said "no".

I would not be surprised if he got fined again or at the very least reprimanded by the league office.

you just cant do these things in the position that he is in. He has to understand that.

He used to be able to do this kind of stuff but when you are a team official those things are just not something you can do.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Warriors hired Steve Kerr(Mark Jackson previously) and Bob Myers, but the biggest component of all of this was they had Jerry West in their front office too. You need at least one adult in the room to make sure things don't get out of hand.

Feels like the Lakers took the exact model, but didn't replicate it fully.
Well said.

Spot on....imo

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic definitely has value as a marketer and recruiter and a personality to try and sell the Lakers as a franchise- but i just dont see where he has the skill set and wherewithal to be able to analyze personnel and structure trades and do all of that grinding monotonous work.

He definitely needs more than Rob Pelinka I agree.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and Brand once again said emphatically said "no".

I would not be surprised if he got fined again or at the very least reprimanded by the league office.

you just cant do these things in the position that he is in. He has to understand that.

He used to be able to do this kind of stuff but when you are a team official those things are just not something you can do.
It's baffling because he gave up this info unprompted.

Why?

If he was trying to divert attention from the Davis fuckery, it only complicated things on the tampering front.

Just....stop talking.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Movie theaters too.

Great businessman.

Doesn't automatically mean he's Adept at negotiations though.
i think they had a "Magic Johnson Theater" in Randle Park mall...

the joke was that if you did not have a gun when you entered- they issued you one at the door.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make sure you come around a lot when the playoffs start.

There's a very strong possibility that you or Philly will be the last Team standing in the ECF.
Definitely around more often in the playoffs. I like seeing the non-biased takes on what I'm seeing and there's a good group of smart basketball fans here.

/I'm still pretty terrified of Milwaukee. How the standings pan out is going to be very interesting - if Toronto can finish atop the East I love their chances, especially now that the Sixers should leap frog the Pacers and that would set up a Bucks-Sixers 2nd round matchup.

Either way, the East playoffs should be fun from the second round onward which is more than can be said of the last few yeas.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't imagine why Brand wouldn't want Simmons meeting with Magic.....

:heh:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WiggyRuss did you see the Browns signed Hunt?
yes i did.

Dorsey was the one that drafted Hunt in Kansas City and obviously seems willing to take a chance on him.

I gotta say- you not taking the Raiders vs. Browns bet was a good look!

I mean- its not as good as your "The Cavs are saving money with these trades" take was hilariously bad....

but obviously you knew the Raiders were gonna be dog shit.