• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still hoping we can make a run at Yu although our roster now at 40. Of course would love a salary dump with Choo betting on upside of Calhoun to facilitate this. A lot of money tied up on position players.

Matt Moore should have had better year last year but what have read is his FB is still lively but has issue with control. Hoping he has just taken longer than the norm to get that back post TJ.
4L 1R. How's that gonna work

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it is. Foresight is a lot harder and a lot less accurate. It will have you saying Holland is better than Cashner, but sometimes it makes you say Beltre should be traded and makes everyone think you are crazy.
well at the time you were

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4L 1R. How's that gonna work

That's why I think we pick up one pitcher and either 6 man rotation or move Minor to pen as closer

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on Yu Cobb or Archer

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on Yu Cobb or Archer

Last I heard, Archer was going to be too pricey (to trade for).

It looks like every team is hanging back on the starters market, no one wants to set the value for SP contracts it seems.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have yet to read any article from FWST Engel that has merit. Bashed Yu due to his bias against JD. Did not even get to finish article Please fill me in if I am missing anything. Trying to keep it polite but he appears to have the remake of Galloway whose late year articles.......SMH...Nolan apologist

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have yet to read any article from FWST Engel that has merit.

I thought his article which Ephland posted was full of merit. You think the Rangers should extend JD? Why?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought his article which Ephland posted was full of merit. You think the Rangers should extend JD? Why?

I think he put Rangers farm on the map where it did not exist. History of great scouting and developing albeit upper level pitching approach which has been currently tweaked. Great presence in Carribean VeneZuela and Japan. His subordinates have been snatched.

Writer is condescends and is biased. But like I said I did not read whole article

Said nothing about extension but yes we should try to keep him if possible

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still hoping we can make a run at Yu although our roster now at 40. Of course would love a salary dump with Choo betting on upside of Calhoun to facilitate this. A lot of money tied up on position players.

Matt Moore should have had better year last year but what have read is his FB is still lively but has issue with control. Hoping he has just taken longer than the norm to get that back post TJ.

Still hoping for a run at Yu as well

Personally, I don't think Choo being here should have any bearing on Calhoun playing LF

Calhoun in LF, DDJ in CF and Maz in RF, Choo DHing, Rua/Robinson on the bench

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still hoping for a run at Yu as well

Personally, I don't think Choo being here should have any bearing on Calhoun playing LF

Calhoun in LF, DDJ in CF and Maz in RF, Choo DHing, Rua/Robinson on the bench

You may be right and no doubt Calhoun is on squad albeit delay until June.Player control may be the issue. Profar is still out there too so that is a factor.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not a fan of what JD and company have done lately, but I also don’t think they should be punished for the “ brain drain” this organization has had to deal with. preller is in San Diego and Levine is in Minnesota. I’m probably missing a few others.

We used to outhustle and outsmart teams internationally, but the stupid cap has made things a lot more regulated.

The big knock on JD is he hasn’t been able to develop pitching. I still think it’s a matter of hiring the right coaches in the minors and majors. It could be a systemic problem as well as a drafting one, which makes it that much more difficult to actually fix.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not a fan of what JD and company have done lately, but I also don’t think they should be punished for the “ brain drain” this organization has had to deal with. preller is in San Diego and Levine is in Minnesota. I’m probably missing a few others.

We used to outhustle and outsmart teams internationally, but the stupid cap has made things a lot more regulated.

The big knock on JD is he hasn’t been able to develop pitching. I still think it’s a matter of hiring the right coaches in the minors and majors. It could be a systemic problem as well as a drafting one, which makes it that much more difficult to actually fix.

I'm a fan of what they have done, but its what they've incapable of doing that's the problem (Ohtani)
Maybe Darvish re-ups and its less of an issue, especially considering Ohtani's recent medical reports

But he's made moves to solidify the rotation even if they aren't the sexy moves we all love, I'm all for leaving the lineup in the hands of the young guys, they could do well or poorly but now is as good a time as any to find out from your on the cusp talent

We don't have that luxury with the pitching staff yet, solutions need to be external

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a fan of what they have done, but its what they've incapable of doing that's the problem (Ohtani)
Maybe Darvish re-ups and its less of an issue, especially considering Ohtani's recent medical reports

But he's made moves to solidify the rotation even if they aren't the sexy moves we all love, I'm all for leaving the lineup in the hands of the young guys, they could do well or poorly but now is as good a time as any to find out from your on the cusp talent

We don't have that luxury with the pitching staff yet, solutions need to be external

New ballpark may inspire some pitching to sign. Being patient in minors developing one pitch at a time and perfect nf the FB is the new mantra. Been good and bad trades. I think Ohtsni had. It in his head where to go and he wanted West Coast. Really gonna be interesting how they spend the extra money or if they spend it