• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think we are going to acquire another good pitcher this offseason. That won't be nearly enough to be a really good team though.

Competitive is a word that means different things to different people. I think we have been on a downhill trend since the 2011 season. I don't see sniffing a wildcard as really being competitive either. Not being able to get past the first round is not nowhere near good enough for me any longer so I haven't been thrilled with the team for some time now.

Like Ephland said, there is nothing JD can do at this point. I do blame him for getting us to this point though. He blew it bigtime in the offseason after the 2013 season in my estimation and that is still hindering us. The Hamels trade and the Lucroy trade were bad decisions as well.

Well we both wanted Abreu but I saw the logic needing the LH power bat and I hated listing Brinson but trying to win while we had Yu and Hamels is not a GM blowing it.

All teams trying to tank is not conceivable or good logic IMO. Even the Halos which have made a lot of splashes are not a strong contender to win WS but their fans are quite enthusiastic. I want nothing more to win a WS in my lifetime but a WS or bust mentality is not prudent.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moore owed 9M for 2018 with a team option for 2019 at 10M with 750k buyout.

Pence owed 18.5M for 2018 if he is included

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well you called it the Rangers just traded for Matt Moore. not my idea of an impact controllable pitcher but it is a move. i guess we may be done

I don't think we are done. Yu may be too pricey but might be him. Hope we did not give up too much.
No roster spot for Nick, huh?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we are done. Yu may be too pricey but might be him. Hope we did not give up too much.
No roster spot for Nick, huh?
no, hope we never see martinez in a Rangers uniform again. thought at first the trade was for both Moore and Pence but now they are saying it is only for Moore

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much response on Moore. 2017 stats not impressive but he has had some success earlier.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, hope we never see martinez in a Rangers uniform again. thought at first the trade was for both Moore and Pence but now they are saying it is only for Moore

Good, Pence isn't very good and always hurt

Would rather roll with Maz/Calhoun at the corners than waste ABs on Pence, that would been way worse than paying whatever we're paying Choo

Last edited:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he can start correct the downward trend that he has created and that begins with 1 or 2 smart signings now and 1 or 2 next off-season. nothing crazy just logical steps

Actually for long term success you develop your own players and give them a chance when they're ready as opposed to always having to fill your needs with free agents or through trades that in turn cost you more minor league capital

Think of all the talent we sent out for players that all we do is complain about now (Hamels/Lucroy) but at the time many people were all about those trades,

personally I hated both, though I like Hamels, but not at the cost particularly Alfaro and Thompson

Lucroy was even worse.... Brinson particularly, for a guy that was eventually outplayed by Robinson Fucking Chirinos

As far as the lineup goes, I see big things this year or next, young, cheap and controllable for years to come

Pitching will be the problem, we need to find a way to develop some starters to fill out our rotation, hopefully Mendez and Jurado makes some leaps this year, as they are our closest ML ready pitchers

After those 2 it'll be a couple seasons before we see anything worthwhile from the minors at the ML level

Signing someone like Yu to pair with Hamels and Perez will go a long way to fixing the rotation, b/c its easier to develop and/or sign 4's & 5's than 1's & 2's (obviously)

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good, Pence isn't very good and always hurt

Would rather roll with Maz/Calhoun at the corners than wast ABs on Pence, that would been way worse than paying whatever we're paying Choo
agree on Pence. but i don't think the Rangers are ready to open the season with Calhoun at the big league level. every indicator seems to point to him starting at AAA with a call up later in the season

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much response on Moore. 2017 stats not impressive but he has had some success earlier.

Similar to a Cashner type pick up. May have to change my post script soon

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree on Pence. but i don't think the Rangers are ready to open the season with Calhoun at the big league level. every indicator seems to point to him starting at AAA with a call up later in the season

What indicators do you speak of? The fact that we haven't signed anyone? Have we been linked to any outfielders? I mean, other than passing, unreasonable interest in Ozuna who have we been linked to?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What indicators do you speak of? The fact that we haven't signed anyone? Have we been linked to any outfielders? I mean, other than passing, unreasonable interest in Ozuna who have we been linked to?
just from reading local press and from other reporters it seems that the Rangers want him to spend time working specifically on left field. but he could come to ST and blow it up and win a spot on the 25. why rush him? it has nothing to do with what we have or haven't done it just seems logical

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually for long term success you develop your own players and give them a chance when they're ready as opposed to always having to fill your needs with free agents or through trades that in turn cost you more minor league capital

Case in point, the Phillies, developed/traded older players for just everyone in their lineup and their rotation, minus Carlos Santana, If their hitters and pitchers all take a step forward that looks like a fierce team for years to come, on the cheap (and potentially with 4 guys traded from our organization, yay for that)

Honestly they lack a #1 starter, I could see a 2-5 emerging from their current batch of ML starters

Last edited:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just from reading local press and from other reporters it seems that the Rangers want him to spend time working specifically on left field. but he could come to ST and blow it up and win a spot on the 25. why rush him? it has nothing to do with what we have or haven't done it just seems logical

Why rush him??? Why even call him up last year then? He had to be added to the 40 man for that, the clock is ticking, why waste time? That's a better question especially since there aren't really better options available without spending stupid senseless money on someone

I see him earning the job in ST anyway, unless we decide to senselessly throw money at a FA that is, and then we're locked into playing someone just bc we're paying them

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why rush him??? Why even call him up last year then? He had to be added to the 40 man for that, the clock is ticking, why waste time? That's a better question especially since there aren't really better options available without spending stupid senseless money on someone

I see him earning the job in ST anyway, unless we decide to senselessly throw money at a FA that is, and then we're locked into playing someone just bc we're paying them

Actually think his control is extended if they don't bring up too early. But if we move Choo the spot is definitely open. I am still thinking we pick up a guy like Dyson and move DDJ to left

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calhoun DeShields and Maz provide value to our OF. Maz 2017 team RBI leader. DDJ produced plenty of offense and Calhoun is supposed to be somewhat a power bat. I see potential for a very good OF less a weak arm in DDJ but his offense off sets the arm imo. That of course may change if we :ninja:pick up a CF. Combined with our IF, we should have the making of team to build on.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually think his control is extended if they don't bring up too early. But if we move Choo the spot is definitely open. I am still thinking we pick up a guy like Dyson and move DDJ to left
if we move Choo we definitely need someone to fill the DH spot. haven't heard the Rangers mentioned on any outfielder except Cain and i don't really see us doing that.