• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So curious, are Thunder fans concerned that Russell Westbrook has a max extension on the table and has yet to accept? John Wall and James Harden already accepted theirs. Just curious as to why Russ might not be so fast to sign the extension.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So curious, are Thunder fans concerned that Russell Westbrook has a max extension on the table and has yet to accept? John Wall and James Harden already accepted theirs. Just curious as to why Russ might not be so fast to sign the extension.

Would be interesting to see the existing Thunder contingent on how they approach Russ.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd guess that at least some of it has to do with Paul George. He'll likely want to see how things work playing with him and also if George signs with the Thunder or heads to the Lakers.

Assuming George leaves, he may want to see what other help the Thunder can get him. Even if George re-signs, he may want to see what the Thunder do to bring other players to get them closer to the Warriors.

After all, he's already seen the Thunder not be willing to spend to keep a contender together once before in his career.

Last edited:

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd guess that at least some of it has to do with Paul George. He'll likely want to see how things work playing with him and also his George signs with the Thunder or heads to the Lakers.

Assuming George leaves, he may want to see what other help the Thunder can get him. Even if George re-signs, he may want to see what the Thunder do to bring other players to get them closer to the Warriors.

After all, he's already seen the Thunder not be willing to spend to keep a contender together once before in his career.

I have a feeling that Russ and PG will work to about 80% of what Russ and KD were, but 80% is still insanely great. PG can't do some of the other things that KD does (no one really can) which is the only reason for the knock. It's not on fit, just different game aspects.

But PG's lingering free agency is a concern. The Thunder really need to move Kanter, but I doubt there are any takers at this point.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that Russ and PG will work to about 80% of what Russ and KD were, but 80% is still insanely great. PG can't do some of the other things that KD does (no one really can) which is the only reason for the knock. It's not on fit, just different game aspects.

But PG's lingering free agency is a concern. The Thunder really need to move Kanter, but I doubt there are any takers at this point.

Agree.

Honestly, I think any star player who wants to win a title is making a mistake if they re-sign early. It's pretty much their only leverage to get teams to put a contending roster around them.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can think of one good reason - He want's to win a championship - and quite possibly has concluded that will never happen in Houston who has a history of putting together good teams, but not quite good enough.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RW has had a 5 year extension waiting to be signed for a few months.....if I were OKC and their fans, I'd be worried.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

Honestly, I think any star player who wants to win a title is making a mistake if they re-sign early. It's pretty much their only leverage to get teams to put a contending roster around them.
This is my sentiment - Honestly - the Last time Kobe signed - I think he knew that there wouldn't be any more championships to win and was at the end of his career, so he made the most of it
I can think of one good reason - He want's to win a championship - and quite possibly has concluded that will never happen in Houston who has a history of putting together good teams, but not quite good enough.
I meant Oklahoma - Sorry

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd guess that at least some of it has to do with Paul George. He'll likely want to see how things work playing with him and also if George signs with the Thunder or heads to the Lakers.

People need to get over the whole Harden thing - Like, in the worst way.

It's not the reason Westbrook won't sign an extension and never will be. I'd say 75% of the reason has to do with Paul George, and the other 25% having to do with the fact that he signed an early extension just last summer and wants to wait and see the story unfold before he does the same thing this time around.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not the reason Westbrook won't sign an extension and never will be. I'd say 75% of the reason has to do with Paul George, and the other 25% having to do with the fact that he signed an early extension just last summer and wants to wait and see the story unfold before he does the same thing this time around.

Why? Management didn't want to give him a max and were off by a reported $5 mil total from what Harden was seeking. They keep Harden, and the Thunder possibly have a title.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you see the story where Durant thinks the Pacers took a shit deal for George?

My bad, he thinks they just gave him away...which is far worse.

Kevin Durant shocked by OKC trade for Paul George: 'Indiana just gave him away'

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely nothing in my post said anything about Harden. The plain fact is...the Thunder had a contending team and their FO wasn't willing to spend the money to keep that team together and it was more than Harden that they let go. That fact simply can't be disputed.

Given that fact...Why would Westbrook trust that they will spend the money this time? If Westbrook signs his extension, George leaves and the Thunder don't bring in anyone else...he's stuck for 4-5 years on a team that's never going to be better than a 5-6 seed.

If George does re-sign with the Thunder, they still aren't any better than the 4th or 5th best team (maybe 3rd) in the West and definitely not good enough to take down the Warriors. If the Thunder decide they don't want to spend the money to bring in another top player...once again, he's stuck for 4-5 years on a team that can't win a title.

So no, no one needs to get over anything re: Harden. The Thunder have a history of not paying to keep a team together.

The rest of your post was just repeating what I already said.