• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously he chose money over chance to win.
Like @Heatles84 said, he now wants it both ways.
The Bulls surely didn't put a gun to his head.
Wade opted in before the draft and he knew Butler could be moved.

He been to 5 finals and won 3 titles. Can't blame him for choosing money over winning at this stage of his career. Been underpaid throughout his career

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He been to 5 finals and won 3 titles. Can't blame him for choosing money over winning at this stage of his career. Been underpaid throughout his career
I know it's kinda cliche to criticize mega-sports-stars along these lines. That being said:

What the hell is the difference between:

- Having millions upon millions of dollars in the bank, and making 5 million dollars a year on top of that
- Having millions upon millions of dollars in the bank, and making 10 million dollars a year on top of that
- or whatever

?

Wade is uber-rich already, and an American living in the 21 century of technology/convenience/etc. He has got it better than 99.9999999% of human beings who have ever existed.

But now he's gotta make a play for extra money?

[/common person's rant]

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's kinda cliche to criticize mega-sports-stars along these line. That being said:

- Having millions upon millions of dollars in the bank, and making 5 million dollars a year on top of that
- Having millions upon millions of dollars in the bank, and making 10 million dollars a year on top of that
- or whatever

?

Wade is uber-rich already, and an American living in the 21 century of technology/convenience/etc. He has got it better than 99.9999999% of human beings who have ever existed.

[/common person's rant]

Maybe as he gets closer and closer to retirement he's not convinced that he has enough to retire the way he wants to and also set up his 3 kids for life lol.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe as he gets closer and closer to retirement he's not convinced that he has enough to retire the way he wants to and also set up his 3 kids for life lol.
Yeah... well, there's never "enough"... is there?

0*fxy30JgcG2pjUtSh.jpg

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who was blaming him for taking the money?
The issue is looking for a buyout the same week you chose to take the money.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also has an ex wife and side baby momma.
Maybe more kids?
Who knows?

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... well, there's never "enough"... is there?

0*fxy30JgcG2pjUtSh.jpg
Maybe not, especially when one has children. But if you could make 10$ more an hour to do the same job you're doing now, it would make sense to take it Right? Imagine 5, 10, 15 mil on the table. Wade has already taken less than he's been "worth" and established a nice legacy doing so. I can't fault him for trying to get as much as he can now.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was blaming him for taking the money?
The issue is looking for a buyout the same week you chose to take the money.

These were just rumors though. You can't believe everything you hear. I haven't seen from any trusted sources that he asked Chicago for a buyout.....yet

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not, especially when one has children. But if you could make 10$ more an hour to do the same job you're doing now, it would make sense to take it Right? Imagine 5, 10, 15 mil on the table. Wade has already taken less than he's been "worth" and established a nice legacy doing so. I can't fault him for trying to get as much as he can now.
I don't know if comparing "uptown problems" to "regular joe problems" is an apples to apples type comparison. But I realize that's a matter of perspective... I'm a regular joe American, and my problems are "uptown" compared to a typical Ethiopian.

Doesn't the principle of diminishing returns kick in at some point, though? After you got millions upon millions upon millions of dollars... what are your "needs"? To set each kid up with 20 million dollars instead of 10 million? To buy a 5th house?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's kinda cliche to criticize mega-sports-stars along these lines. That being said:

- or whatever

?

[/common person's rant]

I agree.

It's going to be very difficult to win with one or even two stars making the max.
The first team that convinces their star players to sign for long contracts for a bit less, so that they can then acquire more star players and retain some depth will set the bar. I'm hoping the Sixers can figure this out. Maybe having international players creates more of a 'team first' culture.

While 5/100 doesn't sound as nice as 5/200, is it really a struggle to live on $20M/year?
Would you rather have 3 star players making $120M or 6 star players making $120M?

I do not feel bad about the salary cap hell in Portland, but realistically, how does that team have a chance to compete? They most likely have a less than 1% chance to come out of the West and that's only if they get lucky with injuries to the other teams in the playoffs. And how can they get better? They have to trade assets to unload salary. Wash, rinse, spin, repeat....

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These were just rumors though. You can't believe everything you hear. I haven't seen from any trusted sources that he asked Chicago for a buyout.....yet

This confirms what I just said. The buyout talk is all speculation at this point. Just a lot of people assuming he will ask for a buyout.

"As far as a buyout, it has not been broached. I will say this, that in this type of scenario, it would have to benefit us. It would absolutely have to benefit us. Dwyane was a great pro last year, and he's been around a lot of different situations. He was in Miami when they had a couple rebuilding years as well. So right now we're operating under the assumption that he'll be here. But like I said, if that subject is ever broached by them, then it would have to be advantageous for us."

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I read an ESPN scroll that said Wade would have to leave a ' chunk of money' if he wants to be bought out.
That's the benefit to Bulls.
Save money, lose more games.
Why not wait till Feb?
That gets you the majority of the money and the opportunity to handpick where you want to make your playoff run.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously he chose money over chance to win.
Like @Heatles84 said, he now wants it both ways.
The Bulls surely didn't put a gun to his head.
Wade opted in before the draft and he knew Butler could be moved.

Sure. He has no right to complain about his situation. At the same time though, if the Bulls want to buy him out, they need to pay him. They can't have it boo ways either. If they want him gone, then give the man his money. The money they are contractually obligated to pay him. Given that he opted in, I am sure he is content to play out the season in hometown Chicago and collect his money.

I am also sure he would prefer getting bought out and going elsewhere.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

- or whatever

?

[/common person's rant]

Well, none of us know what Wade's financials actually look like. But, given the shocking number of star players who end up broke within 5 years of retirement, I don't want to assume anything here. Wade seems too smart to be one of those, but you never know.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. He has no right to complain about his situation. At the same time though, if the Bulls want to buy him out, they need to pay him. They can't have it boo ways either. If they want him gone, then give the man his money. The money they are contractually obligated to pay him. Given that he opted in, I am sure he is content to play out the season in hometown Chicago and collect his money.

I am also sure he would prefer getting bought out and going elsewhere.

Agree if the Bulls are the ones who want him gone.
I highly doubt that's the case though.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, none of us know what Wade's financials actually look like. But, given the shocking number of star players who end up broke within 5 years of retirement, I don't want to assume anything here. Wade seems too smart to be one of those, but you never know.
Fair enough here.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's also invested in many side businesses.
I have no idea if they are succeeding or not, but often times it's a not.
I remember how gung-ho Mike Miller was for his Let It Fly energy drink.
It was an epic fail.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD is a much better but he decided on the "can't beat 'em, join 'em" card. Thats what I call a wuss. Ya'll can disagree if ya'll want but I ain't changing my tune.

Preach it, people can have their own opinions. I'll take it a step further, was he all there in games 5 and 6 last year or was he thinking about what he knew he wanted to do?