• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the Kings have some interest in George Hill, Jrue Holiday, and Iggy along with Millsap. Hill and Jrue play the same position as Fox which lowers his PT already while Millsap would take Skal's starting spot. I would like to see them bring in some vets with all that cap space, but Hill and/or Millsap would make me think they're not totally committed to rebuild and trying to win next season. I like the young core they have so far but possibly adding a top 3 pick at SF from the 2018 draft would really fill out that starting 5 and give them another chance at an all star level player. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, I'm already worried.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a high priced hoarder.

Gotta put up or shut up.

Man, they better be on the horn to Tony Allen, Z Bo, Speights, Bass, Felton...or anyone that would consider the minimum.

I just got this odd feeling Ainge won't be able to land anyone of note. I hope I'm wrong though of course.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be interesting to see what Ainge does. If he fucks this up & can't land anyone it's time to kick his ass outta Boston. If I remember correctly of the last 11 or so draft picks by Danny only 2 have worked out. Basically he's done little good for the Celtics since the KG & Allen deals.
This is a harsh take on Ainge... and no, I don't think you are remembering correctly... unless we have quite different notions of what "worked out" means.

Bradley, Smart, Brown, Rozier, Olynyk... all Ainge draft picks. Maybe add a Zizic to this list (buzz on him overseas is good)

Crowder on the C's ---> Ainge

IT on the C's ---> Ainge

The best tub of tradeable assets in the NBA ---> Ainge

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it stacked though? 6 minimum or 2nd round guys?

I mean, let's not even bring up the Warriors.

Is this enough to beat Cleveland?I

They should deal Horford.

Yeah, I guess part of it is the fact that they were already the #1 seed, and then they would add Paul George and Gordon Hayward. It just sounds crazy for a 1 seed to add 2 guys like that without losing a major piece.

Those 2 plus IT is right on par with the Cavs big 3, imo, although LeBron is probably the trump card.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I guess part of it is the fact that they were already the #1 seed, and then they would add Paul George and Gordon Hayward. It just sounds crazy for a 1 seed to add 2 guys like that without losing a major piece.

Those 2 plus IT is right on par with the Cavs big 3, imo, although LeBron is probably the trump card.
Bradley, Crowder, Picks and they would have to renounce dirty Kelly.

Obviously, you do this in a heartbeat.

But, poor Paul George can't defend all 5 opposing players.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a harsh take on Ainge... and no, I don't think you are remembering correctly... unless we have quite different notions of what "worked out" means.

Bradley, Smart, Brown, Rozier, Olynyk... all Ainge draft picks. Maybe add a Zizic to this list (buzz on him overseas is good)

IT on the C's ---> Ainge

Good post.

You are right.

I guess I have tunnel vision.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IT on the C's ---> Ainge

Outside of IT how many players that Ainge drafted/acquired have made an All Star game?

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it stacked though? 6 minimum or 2nd round guys?

I mean, let's not even bring up the Warriors.

Is this enough to beat Cleveland?
Yes, it's stacked.

Cleveland is a tough match-up, though... because of the big rebounding disadvantage the C's would have in that series.
Mecca said:
They should deal Horford.
Nah. He's one of the only viable bigs on that hypothesized roster.

Maybe Zizic will get a shot next season as a bench guy?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the Kings have some interest in George Hill, Jrue Holiday, and Iggy along with Millsap. Hill and Jrue play the same position as Fox which lowers his PT already while Millsap would take Skal's starting spot. I would like to see them bring in some vets with all that cap space, but Hill and/or Millsap would make me think they're not totally committed to rebuild and trying to win next season. I like the young core they have so far but possibly adding a top 3 pick at SF from the 2018 draft would really fill out that starting 5 and give them another chance at an all star level player. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, I'm already worried.
Yeah, you cut Afflao to give the youngsters burn.

But, you sign vets to take that burn away?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,471.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Kelenna Azubuike on 95.7:

"(Paul) George has definitely put in calls to Klay Thompson, he's talked to LeBron James. And he's trying to see if he can figure out who can come with him to the Lakers."

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it's stacked.

Cleveland is a tough match-up, though... because of the big rebounding disadvantage the C's would have in that series.

Nah. He's one of the only viable bigs on that hypothesized roster.

Maybe Zizic will get a shot next season as a bench guy?
He gives you zero Rim protection.

You need that way more than his scoring with a healthy George, Thomas and Hayward.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's from Wojo....:noidea:.

Sounds like they have a deal, unless someone sneaks in before July 1.

I'm surprised George is on board......which seems implied?

If this happens, I owe @knowyourenemy an apology.

For salary-cap purposes, Boston wants a Hayward commitment before it can finalize a trade for George and secure the most dynamic free-agent coup in franchise history, league sources said.

For Boston, here’s the hitch: While Indiana believes Boston can offer the best possible package, the Pacers may be unwilling to wait until the start of July free agency on Boston’s timetable and could turn toward making a deal elsewhere for George, league sources told The Vertical.

Nah, no apologies would be necessary. I have a friend who is constantly telling me the next big name player that is going to play for the Lakers . . . and it's almost never happened over the last half decade. I've grown immune to the Lakers hype.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of IT how many players that Ainge drafted/acquired have made an All Star game?
Has Horford ever made one? If not... none. Bradley is in the tier of players just outside of all-star status.

I don't think this point really counters my post, though. Ainge is at least in the top half of GM's around the league... I'd score him higher than that, but I'll leave it at top half for the sake of argument.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Horford ever made one? If not... none. Bradley is in the tier of players just outside of all-star status.

I don't this point really counters my post, though. Ainge is at least in the top half of GM's around the league... I'd score him higher than that, but I'll leave it at top half for the sake of argument.

Horford is a 4-time all-star

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradley, Crowder, Picks and they would have to renounce dirty Kelly.

Obviously, you do this in a heartbeat.

But, poor Paul George can't defend all 5 opposing players.

Hayward is an underrated defender. But you're right that they'd need to improve defensively and losing Bradley doesn't help.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gives you zero Rim protection.

You need that way more than his scoring with a healthy George, Thomas and Hayward.
I don't necessarily disagree with you on these fronts... but who the C's gonna call if they drop Horford like he's hot?

Horford is also a great cog in a modern, team based NBA offense. His shooting, passing and decision making are exceptional for a big man. This has to be factored in.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't this point really counters my post, though. Ainge is at least in the top half of GM's around the league... I'd score him higher than that, but I'll leave it at top half for the sake of argument.

I'm just impatient. Of course I hope Ainge makes the right moves but if he doesn't...and here's where my Celtics bias really kicks in, replace him w/ Larry the Legend.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just impatient. Of course I hope Ainge makes the right moves but if he doesn't...and here's where my Celtics bias really kicks in, replace him w/ Larry the Legend.
Fair enough.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, no apologies would be necessary. I have a friend who is constantly telling me the next big name player that is going to play for the Lakers . . . and it's almost never happened over the last half decade. I've grown immune to the Lakers hype.
Nope.

Gonna get me some Tapatio and eat the shit out of that crow...lol