• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Draft Thread

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No to LaVine. God no. He has potential but he will take 2-3 years before he's ready to contribute. He completely disappeared last year in the second half of the year at UCLA. If he can't produce there then there's no way he'll do anything next year in the NBA against better competition. Archie Goodwin has more upside anyways and he's about the same age.

Here are 3 things I'd try to do:

1) We need to try to package the 14 & 18 picks to trade up for one of Gordon, Vonleh or Randle.
2) Trade up for the 8/9th pick and send it in a deal for Love along with Bledsoe and a filler. (Long shot)
3) If we keep all of our picks then take TJ Warren, Adreian Payne, James Young or Nik Stauskas.

I really like Warren and think he's the most underrated prospect in the draft. If we could find a way to land Warren and Payne at 14 and 18 then I think we're big time winners in the draft.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a huge fan of Payne. Doesn't appear to have much upside and he has that lung issue. I'd pass on him.

I like Stauskas, but he'll probably be gone by the time the Suns get around to picking.

I want the Suns to trade up for one Gordon, Vonleh, or Randle (in that order), but I don't want them to give up too many pieces on a gamble like that.

It doesn't look like they're going to keep all three first round picks, so I'm excited to see what McDonuogh can pull off.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No to LaVine. God no. He has potential but he will take 2-3 years before he's ready to contribute. He completely disappeared last year in the second half of the year at UCLA. If he can't produce there then there's no way he'll do anything next year in the NBA against better competition. Archie Goodwin has more upside anyways and he's about the same age.

Here are 3 things I'd try to do:

1) We need to try to package the 14 & 18 picks to trade up for one of Gordon, Vonleh or Randle.
2) Trade up for the 8/9th pick and send it in a deal for Love along with Bledsoe and a filler. (Long shot)
3) If we keep all of our picks then take TJ Warren, Adreian Payne, James Young or Nik Stauskas.

I really like Warren and think he's the most underrated prospect in the draft. If we could find a way to land Warren and Payne at 14 and 18 then I think we're big time winners in the draft.
Maybe LaVine won't light it up right away, but in a couple season he will be real scoring threat. The type that can hit 20 in a quarter. You watch. I swear.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe LaVine won't light it up right away, but in a couple season he will be real scoring threat. The type that can hit 20 in a quarter. You watch. I swear.

By the time he reaches his potential he'll be close to needing a new contract. He would spend the entire year in the D League. I'd rather get some that can contribute right away with our first two picks. If he's there at 27 (doubt it) then I wouldn't mind taking him there.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I would might be OK with LaVine at 18 looking at who else is around that range. I wouldn't love it, but as long as we nail the #14 pick then we gooood.

I'm really starting to like Nik Stauskas. I think he'd flourish in our offense... kinda reminds me of Klay Thompson. We could use another outside shooter for sure.

SpartyNash13

Spartan Dawg
Hoopla Cash
$ 963.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a huge fan of Payne. Doesn't appear to have much upside and he has that lung issue. I'd pass on him.

I like Stauskas, but he'll probably be gone by the time the Suns get around to picking.

I want the Suns to trade up for one Gordon, Vonleh, or Randle (in that order), but I don't want them to give up too many pieces on a gamble like that.

It doesn't look like they're going to keep all three first round picks, so I'm excited to see what McDonuogh can pull off.

I am biased being an MSU alum but I think Payne is going to be a very good player in the NBA, he is lacking at some strong post moves but when he is healthy he can shoot from anywhere, solid defensively, runs he floor well.

It pains me to say it given the fact that I hate Michigan but I also think Stauskas will be quite a talent in the NBA as well.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am biased being an MSU alum but I think Payne is going to be a very good player in the NBA, he is lacking at some strong post moves but when he is healthy he can shoot from anywhere, solid defensively, runs he floor well.

It pains me to say it given the fact that I hate Michigan but I also think Stauskas will be quite a talent in the NBA as well.

If Payne is available at 18, then they should take him. I like his potential to be a good stretch 4. I wouldn't take him a 14, though. Regardless, I don't think that the Suns will keep those picks. McDonuogh has got to be planning something big.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think about going after Pau Gasol? If we let Frye go we could still afford him (assuming Tucker doesn't get overpaid)

If we can't land Love then I think he'd be a decent fallback plan. I don't trust Plumlee as a starting center... at all. Would love him off the bench though. I'm glad we didn't trade for Pau last year, but as a FA, I wouldn't mind signing him to a 2 yr. deal. Dragic-Bledsoe-Tucker-Morris-Gasol with Plumlee, Green, our 3 1st rounders, Goodwin & Marcus Morris off the bench would be niiiice.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But honestly... our best option I think, would be to trade up for the 8th or 9th pick and to take whichever big man falls there out of Gordon, Vonleh and Randle. Then use the 27 pick on a draft and stash candidate or take someone with a lot of upside.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't want Gasol at the trade deadline last season, don't want him now. I do agree that the Suns best option is to trade up into the top 10. Those PF prospects are too tantalizing to pass up.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Woj, the Suns are looking to trade the 27th pick for a future first rounder... meh.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Woj, the Suns are looking to trade the 27th pick for a future first rounder... meh.

I don't see why. They have plenty of draft picks over the next few seasons. It's nice to see the Suns trying to stockpile picks rather than give them away, but I say they try to trade up or make a move that immediately improves the team.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why. They have plenty of draft picks over the next few seasons. It's nice to see the Suns trying to stockpile picks rather than give them away, but I say they try to trade up or make a move that immediately improves the team.

My thoughts exactly.

azsportsman6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like it would be realistic to trade our 14th and 27th(?) to get philly's #10. They already have 3 and it seems they would rather want to stockpile with more picks. I would be absolutely elated with randle or even Gordan (I love Asu, so it hurts to say)

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like it would be realistic to trade our 14th and 27th(?) to get philly's #10. They already have 3 and it seems they would rather want to stockpile with more picks. I would be absolutely elated with randle or even Gordan (I love Asu, so it hurts to say)

That would be nice. 10 & 14 could land you a couple really solid players.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason you trade the #27 for a future first round pick is three fold.

-There is little room on the roster to absorb 3 rookies who will need time to develop along with both of last year's first round picks. That would leave 5 of the 8 bench spots going to young developmental players.

-You can possibly set it up that you end up with 2+ first round picks 4 years in a row. 2013, 14, & 15 is already set for at least 2 picks & you could trade this one for 2nd 2016 pick. If we draft smart, the team could be set up for a long run of cost controlled good players.

-The #27 could possibly turn into a top 15 in a future draft.

These are the players I hope they target:

-Dario Saric SF/PF @ #14 - Top 8 talent who will be stuck in Europe for 2 more years. This would be perfect for team like the Suns with multiple picks.

-Doug McDermott SF @ #14 - One of the best scorers in the draft. A good three-point shooter.

-Rodney Hood SF @ #14 - An all-around scorer with a smooth outside shot & has three-point range.

- Kyle Anderson G/SF @ #18 - Can play point forward. He has terrific court vision & passing ability. Think of a less athletic Scottie Pippen.

-P.J. Hairston SG @ #18 He has off-court issues & spent the year in the D-League. But the guy can score & has the size to defend.

-Clint Capela PF @ #27 - A 20 year old Swiss born player. A great raw athlete with explosiveness at the rim. He will still need a few years in Europe to develop his basketball IQ before he turns into what scouts think he can become.

-Jusuf Nurkic C @ #27 - A 7' 280lbs Bosnia born center.

As you can see, if the Suns use all 3 picks, I think they will take one Euro player than can be stashed overseas for a few seasons. I also think they will focus on the perimeter with a SF or stretch PF if they decide not resign Frye.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather not take Saric after he just signed that 3 year extension overseas. The soonest he'd be able to play would be 2016. I mean, he is talented but that's too long of a wait.

Btw, PHX will not end up with 3 rookies next year. I can guarantee that. They'll either package picks together to trade up, trade them for another player, or trade one for a future 1st rounder (which makes zero sense)