• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Australian Open

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decided to get this thread rolling as the draw comes out tonight and tourney starts on Sunday Night.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Querrey is in the same bracket as Murray. Nice to see him still ranked. If he can make it to that 3rd round match with Murray then I'll be happy.

Isner IMO can possibly make it to the round of 16.

Could get Fed and Berdych in round 3. If Fed gets by that then he'll have Kei in the round of 16. Will be difficult for Fed due to his seeding.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I'm in full Adult mode, I kinda wish the Aussie Open didn't have lights or night matches like how was several years ago. Selfish on my part for sure lol. Back when I became a tennis fanatic (sometime around 2004 or 2005), I was a kid in high school with the entire first week of the Aussie Open off so I had no issue staying up late to watch these matches. Even in my first year or two in College I used to love it as I was on Winter break so I would stay up late watching all those night sessions. Now that I'm a grown ass man approaching 30 with a 9-5 (well more like 8-4), I can't stay up late anymore when I have to wake up at 6 AM the next morning. Usually I'm lucky if I make it to 1230 or 1 AM EST lol

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Novak play Verdasco in round 1. Verdasco had 5 match points vs Novak last weekend. Interesting 1st round match

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I'm in full Adult mode, I kinda wish the Aussie Open didn't have lights or night matches like how was several years ago. Selfish on my part for sure lol. Back when I became a tennis fanatic (sometime around 2004 or 2005), I was a kid in high school with the entire first week of the Aussie Open off so I had no issue staying up late to watch these matches. Even in my first year or two in College I used to love it as I was on Winter break so I would stay up late watching all those night sessions. Now that I'm a grown ass man approaching 30 with a 9-5 (well more like 8-4), I can't stay up late anymore when I have to wake up at 6 AM the next morning. Usually I'm lucky if I make it to 1230 or 1 AM EST lol

dvr, lol. time to get back to tennis.:yes:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dvr, lol. time to get back to tennis.:yes:

DVR is too hard for me. By the time I get home from work, the next set of matches are set to begin so doesn't make sense. I can DVR for the French and Wimby but not this one

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DVR is too hard for me. By the time I get home from work, the next set of matches are set to begin so doesn't make sense. I can DVR for the French and Wimby but not this one

I just watch those matches late too. I dont need to see them all. I tend to watch more Aussie then the others because I am not playing as much in Jan. The other 3 I am in full swing when those are going on so a lot of nights are just not possible.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watch those matches late too. I dont need to see them all. I tend to watch more Aussie then the others because I am not playing as much in Jan. The other 3 I am in full swing when those are going on so a lot of nights are just not possible.

Aussie and the US Open are still the tourneys I watch the most of. Even though I can't stay up for the night session, I still get to see 5-6 hours of the day session and on weekends when I stay up a little longer that changes to 7-8 hours. Also when I wake up from work I get to see some of the night session before leaving.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. No. 2 seed Novak Djokovic could get bent out of shape
The matchup sticks out like a sore thumb in this anodyne draw: Novak Djokovic vs. Fernando Verdasco. The 8-4 edge to Djokovic is deceptive. Verdasco, who is 33 years old, hasn't beaten Djokovic since 2010. But Verdasco has played some terrific matches at the Australian Open. (His 2009 semifinal loss to fellow Spaniard Rafael Nadal is on many "greatest matches" lists.) Djokovic had to fend off six match points to beat Verdasco on a court similar to the one in Rod Laver Arena just a few weeks ago in Doha. This is the consensus "must-see" first-rounder.

2. Angelique Kerber will get a chance to acclimate
The top seed and defending champ, Kerber opens against No. 61 Lesia Tsurenko, whom Kerber beat in their only previous match. After that, it's either a qualifier or Carina Witthoeft, who will probably be too star struck by her fellow German to swing the racket with any conviction. Kerber is 2-0 against Witthoeft, one of them a 6-0, 6-0 drubbing in the first round of Wimbledon in 2015. The looming obstacle for Kerber: a fourth-round matchup with Daria Kasatkina, who beat Kerber in Sydney this past week.

3. No. 1 Andy Murray will get to show off that great serve return
Illya Marchenko, whom Murray crushed in a 2011 Australian Open blowout (their only previous meeting), is a first-round gift. But then Murray could face bombardiers in Sam Querrey and John Isner before the quarterfinals. The major threat for Murray: No. 5 seed Kei Nishikori, whom Murray could meet in the quarterfinals if Federer can't make it that far.

4. No. 2 seed Serena Williams' opener could be tricky
Williams gets former Swiss wunderkind Belinda Bencic in the first round, but it is unclear if Bencic will play. Once as high as No. 7, but now down to No. 48, Bencic has been plagued by a foot injury and may yet pull out of the tournament. Williams could meet Lucie Safarova in the second round. Williams beat Safarova in the final of the 2015 French Open, but subsequently, Safarova was off the tour for a long spell with a viral illness and her ranking -- and confidence -- has plummeted. Williams' biggest threat in her quarter could be hard-charging No. 9 seed Johanna Konta.

5. Roger Federer is well, um, qualified for his Grand Slam return
The all-time men's Grand Slam singles champion could theoretically meet qualifiers all the way to the semifinals. There are eight in there with No. 17 seed Federer in the top quarter (and none in the second quarter). All right, it surely won't play out like that, but this is for certain: If Federer beats his qualifier opponent in the first round, he will meet another qualifier in Round 2. Then the real work begins, probably with a fourth round clash against No. 10 Tomas Berdych.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6. American women besides Serena Williams could make a statement
Sixteen women from the U.S., not counting qualifiers, are in the main draw. Many have winnable matches. Shelby Rogers, the surprise French Open quarterfinalist of 2016, has the toughest assignment -- but also the greatest opportunity. She's playing No. 4 seed Simona Halep.

Halep sometimes struggles in major events, and it's always better to get her early rather than late. If Rogers can rekindle that free-swinging spirit she showed on the red clay of Paris, she could rattle Halep. Otherwise, No. 13 seed Venus Williams ought to get by Kateryna Kozlova. It's a pity that recent Shenzhen finalist Alison Riske has to face a fellow American who upset Serena Williams a few weeks ago in in Auckland, Madison Brengle.

7. Tommy Haas might not be done yet
If you think Federer's combination of age and durability are remarkable, get a load of Tommy Haas. He's 38 years old and a veteran of nine surgeries (shoulders, elbows, hips, feet and ankles), and he's ready to lace 'em for the first time since October 2015. He's playing volatile Frenchman Benoit Paire, who is certain to feel like some kind of guinea pig. Just days ago in Sydney, Paire played the youngest guy in the Australian Open draw, a 17-year-old Aussie wild card ranked No. 333, Alex de Minaur. Paire lost. Now he'll play the oldest. Head games.

8. Jack Sock is the American man best positioned to make a run
Although there are no qualifiers in the second quarter, there is no Murray, Federer or Nishikori, either. True, Stan Wawrinka is a worthy No. 4 seed, but No. 7 Marin Cilic is the next highest. The other conspicuously dangerous players in the quarter are No. 12 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and No. 14 Nick Kyrgios. Sock could face Tsonga in the third round. It could be worse.

9. Look to the second quarter for a surprise semifinalist
Is there another deep run left in Venus Williams? If so, this would be the right time to tap into it. Halep is the highest seed in her quarter at No. 4, and No. 8 Svetlana Kuznetsova is the player in best form. There are eight wild cards and qualifiers in the section. Jelena Jankovic, another former No. 1 (she isn't even seeded this year), also has a chance to make a late-career surge. The most unsurprising surprise semifinalist to pop out of the quarter would be either slumping Olympic gold medalist Monica Puig or No. 11 Elina Svitolina

10. Grigor Dimitrov has a chance to prove his resurgence is for real
The 25-year-old Bulgarian, once hailed as "Baby Federer," was all but written off through most of last year. But he came on strong to win Brisbane to open 2017, knocking off three top-10 players along the way. Once again pundits are wondering, is all that promise coming to fruition? Dimitrov opens against a local wild card, Christopher O'Connell, and could face No. 18 seed Richard Gasquet in the third round as a tune-up for a fourth-round meeting against Djokovic.

Aussie Open draw takeaways: Djokovic, Serena could be in trouble

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Bencic is close to 100%, I cant see her beating Serena. I would look for an ugly match from both where Serena survives. That bracket is brutal though. Kerber has an easy road. Muguruza her only tough match before the semis. I think Puig could make a run this year. Even Aggy has a cake walk to the semis.

Djoker loves this tourney but he has a tough road this year. I think Stan may benefit this year as Murray has a tough road as well. Fed has no easy road too. Still hoping he gets to win 1 more, it does not look good here though. If he struggles before the semis then we know is probably done. Interested to see what Raonic does. The draw looks favorable to make a run.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me, it's the same in terms of the next set of matches beginning.

But I don't mind catching up on the night session of the previous day, and the day session of the current day, when I get home.

For me, agree. I'm good with watching as much as I can on the DVR (as long as they're matches I want to watch).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Men's Draw:

Murray's Quarter:

Murray-Isner 3rd round: Isner doesn't play well at the AO, so he's not certain to get there. I hope if he gets there, he at least takes a set from Murray.

I'll go Murray in 4.

FED - Berdych 3rd round: I'll give Berdych the edge, he had a better year last year and is younger. Berdych in 4.

Berdych - Nishikori 4th round: I think Nishikori wins this one, as he's solid. Nishikori in 3.

Murray - Nishikori QF: Nishikori doesn't challenge Murray consistently enough. Murray in 3.

Wawrinka's Quarter:

Tsonga vs. Cilic 4th round: I'll go with Cilic, more complete game at the moment. Cilic in 5.

Cilic vs. Wawrinka QF: If Wawrinka makes Cilic run side to side, he should have the advantage. Wawrinka in 4.

Raonic's Quarter:

I think he gets through the Quarters, no one seems too dangerous.

Djokovic's Quarter:

Haas vs. Paire 1st round: Looking forward to this. I'll pick Haas, even though he's coming from a long layoff. Haas guts it out in 4.

Djokovic-Verdasco 1st round: There's a 10% chance this is a good match. Djokovic in 3.

Djokovic to the SF.

Murray vs. Wawrinka SF: Rooting for Wawrinka. He's beaten Murray a few times at the USO. Murray is better at the AO. Murray in 5. I also wish Wawrinka was more consistent in other tourneys.

Raonic vs. Djokovic SF: This match won't be as good as last year's, just a feeling. Djokovic in 4.

Murray vs. Djokovic Finals: Murray comes through in 4 sets. Djokovic won't be as sharp with his first serve. 6th time in the Final will do it for Murray.

Women's Draw:

Kerber's Quarter:

Kerber vs. Muguruza QF: I'll pick Muguruza because it's hard to find consistency in the WTA. Rooting for Kerber though. Muguruza in 2.

Halep's Quarter:

This doesn't look too scary, maybe Venus can get to the QF.

Pliskova's Quarter:

Her or Bacsinszky would be my picks to win the quarter. I'll go with Pliskova because of the USO.

Serena's Quarter:

Saforova might be dangerous in the 2nd round.

If Wozniacki faces Serena in the QF, I'll pick Wozniacki this time. Wozniacki has only beaten Serena once. Wozniacki in 3.

Muguruza - Venus SF:

Muguruza is still not consistent. Venus has a shot. Although just making it this far will be a great effort. If Venus wins, it has to be in 2 sets. Venus in 2.

Pliskova vs. Wozniacki SF:

Not sure, I'll take Wozniacki's solid game in 3.

Venus vs. Wozniacki Finals: We will have a first time AO champion if this is the matchup. I'll take Wozniacki as she makes less errors.

Wozniacki in 2.

Sure, I made a few BOLD picks on the Women's side, and was less BOLD on the Men's side.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i suspect nole will win if he's in a final against murray.

nole's only human, and after winning 6 of 8 majors over a course of 24 months, he was bound to hit a wall last summer.

murray has never shown that he can maintain his current level of play for more than 6 months at a time. and he's never even made it to a 5th set in an AO final.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dvr is my only option, so i'm always a day behind watching the ao until weekends.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the American Men, I'll be happy with a 3rd round run for Querrey, Isner, and Sock.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot depends on how seriously they took their training over the past couple of months.

Sock doesn't look particularly fit to me, but the topspin on that forehand makes it a real weapon on the AO hard courts. Must feel like trying to hit a rock for his opponents.

Isner at least keeps a level head, and usually puts in the time off the court. Querrey is unwatchable for me.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the American Men, I'll be happy with a 3rd round run for Querrey, Isner, and Sock.

A lot depends on how seriously they took their training over the past couple of months.

Sock doesn't look particularly fit to me, but the topspin on that forehand makes it a real weapon on the AO hard courts. Must feel like trying to hit a rock for his opponents.

Isner at least keeps a level head, and usually puts in the time off the court. Querrey is unwatchable for me.

This is Sock's best chance outside of the French. I will believe it when I see it though. He looked good towards the end of summer, but he tends to slack off when he can.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i suspect nole will win if he's in a final against murray.

nole's only human, and after winning 6 of 8 majors over a course of 24 months, he was bound to hit a wall last summer.

murray has never shown that he can maintain his current level of play for more than 6 months at a time. and he's never even made it to a 5th set in an AO final.

That is a good point.

Only thing I can say is that recently, he took Djokovic to 5 sets at the FO in 2015, although he needed to come back from down 0-2 sets to do it.