• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main reason for the move was to make the playoffs - you could make the argument that they got worst.

Selling tickets shouldn't even be close to a priority given that owners make more money off TV deals than ticket sales.

Yep Reggie Jackson was out before they made the trade and they knew he would be back anytime soon at the time of the trade.....and they still expected to make the playoffs.

They were 23-26 at the time of the trade which means they're only 14-15 since making the trade. 19-10 would have them basically right where the Wiz, Heat, and Bucks are

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The best win was the 19 point win over Denver. Butler-less T-Wolves are not as good as Denver IMO.
I was just going by record, not trying to make too deep of a point... yeah, the Denver win is decent.
bks said:
But yeah you're right.

Just looked at the Sixers schedule, in their last 17 games they played 12 below .500 basketball teams. In the 5 games against teams over .500, they went 2-3. Losing to the Bucks, Heat, and Pacers while beating Minnesota and Denver.
^ Good point.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like their trio (with a full season I think they snag a playoff spot when James bolts the Cavs) but I could see them trading him if they got a good offer.

Again though.

Who cares if they make the playoffs? They are stuck for the next 4 years basically. They have no cap space, their depth sucks and they can't shoot which is a recipe for failure in the current NBA. There is very little upside for this group beyond a possible first round playoff exit.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot being made of the recent 76ers winning streak...

... but, man, they've played a garbage schedule during that time. Best win during the streak is over a Jimmy Butler-less Timberwolves squad... and that may very well be the only playoff bound team of the bunch.

Just looked at the Sixers schedule, in their last 17 games they played 12 below .500 basketball teams. In the 5 games against teams over .500, they went 2-3. Losing to the Bucks, Heat, and Pacers while beating Minnesota and Denver.

It's almost like they must have had one of the toughest schedules to start the season....

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost like they must have had one of the toughest schedules to start the season....

Yep which explains why they were only 7 games over .500 before this easy part of their schedule

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep which explains why they were only 7 games over .500 before this easy part of their schedule
You hoping for a good 3 v. 6 matchup in a couple short weeks? Considering the Cavs have not won in Miami since I was in junior high, I imagine it wont be without drama.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hoping for a good 3 v. 6 matchup in a couple short weeks? Considering the Cavs have not won in Miami since I was in junior high, I imagine it wont be without drama.

Who are you?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HUGE game coming up between the Cavaliers and Sixers.

It took a while- but that tanking worked out didnt it? Its a great way to build in the league.

Embiid and Simmons are just amazing guys to build around.....you need a little luck- and to get the high picks in the right draft- but it looks like they are getting it done. I just hope that they dont do it too well....... If they drafted Porzingis instead of Okafor and Tatum instead of Fultz- id be seriously worried about Bron Bron. But--- hey- you cant hit em all (ie Waiters, Bennett).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are you?
lol

say_my_name__mr_white__breaking_fucking_bad__by_lsnvaider-d6wlx36.jpg

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome back I guess lol @WiggyRuss
I was reinstated.

Just in time for the playoffs. Gotta say--- loved what the Cavaliers did at the trade deadline getting Hood, Hill, Nance and Clarkson. None of them are likely to ever be all stars (though- with LeBron Nance and or Hood MAY someday have a shot)....but its the right skill sets to put around LBJ.

Hood is the guy that could really be a difference maker if he starts being aggressive.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
by the way...your Heat losing 3 of 4 to the Nets is a real pain in the balls. The games I actually am rooting for the Heat they lose...ughhh.

They're a terrible match-up for us. The difference between having HCA & being the 6th or 7th seed.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're a terrible match-up for us. The difference between having HCA & being the 6th or 7th seed.
if you would have swept them, the Cavs would be in the 3 spot right now--- and pretty much guaranteed at getting one out of Doncic, Ayton, Bagley, Jackson, Bamba.

Thats prob the order id rate those guys too......

Doncic is gonna be awesome- he is my #1 in this loaded draft. Ayton is an absolute beast (though his defense is lacking at this point). Bagley is as smooth and talented as they come. Jackson is going to be amazing and Bamba looks like a poor-mans Embiid to me.

None of those guys, I dont think, are as good a prospect as Ben Simmons was--- but they are all definitely amazing prospects that are better than just about anyone else that has gone in the draft in the last few years.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see we have a new Cavs fan! welcome
dude, hows it going?

how did Zona lose in the first round? Ayton is just freaking unreal......

I love the deals the Cavs made. Rodney Hood is the guy I was really kind of shocked they pulled off getting. He is a little bit shy and not as assertive as he should be, but if he ever really gets confidence and grows a pair he could be a pretty mean weapon to put on the wing next to LeBron.

Hill is exactly what they needed at PG....a steady guy that can play some D and captain the ship.....Clarkson is what he is--- a solid bench scorer----- and Nance does what Tristan used to do before he became the wife to a Kartrashian.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HUGE game coming up between the Cavaliers and Sixers.

It took a while- but that tanking worked out didnt it? Its a great way to build in the league.

Embiid and Simmons are just amazing guys to build around.....you need a little luck- and to get the high picks in the right draft- but it looks like they are getting it done. I just hope that they dont do it too well....... If they drafted Porzingis instead of Okafor and Tatum instead of Fultz- id be seriously worried about Bron Bron. But--- hey- you cant hit em all (ie Waiters, Bennett).

Simmons might be the most important piece, so we've already had the discussion that if we had drafted Porzingis, we probably don't lose enough games to get Simmons.

The crazy thing is that we didn't out-tank Minnesota, so we could have wound up with both Embiid and KAT in back to back years, but again, KAT playing probably doesn't get us Simmons.

Myself, I'd rather have Embiid-Simmons than Embiid-KAT.

I'm going to need two seasons to fully evaluate the Fultz draft.

As for Friday night, there will be some Philly fans that boo LBJ, but I think a large majority are going to cheer for him at times. I wouldn't be surprised if a 'We Want LeBron' chant breaks out, regardless of the score. That alone might be able to sway him compared to those lazy LA fans :lol:

I'm guessing CLE takes care of business on Friday, but we have been playing some pretty inspired basketball in Embiid's absence, so there are a lot of reasons for us to get up for this game. One of the problems with winning 12 in a row is that not many of the games have been competitive, which isn't the best way to go into the playoffs. This game could essentially be a litmus test for us.

Good luck.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that you're back @WiggyRuss , thoughts on how the IT situation played out??
ehh it kind of sucks. I loved Kyrie, but when a guy threatens to get knee surgery instead of playing if you dont trade him you gotta do what you gotta do.

As to IT, i mean, he just left the Lakers to have surgery. He should have probably done that from the beginning. The guy has a perpetual chip on his shoulder, and thats helped him get to where he is, but coming into the Cavs he had not done anything, was playing extremely poorly, but was acting like he had been here forever calling out an NBA champion like Kevin Love.

That chip on his shoulders probably forced him to come back to early and to do and say things that resulted in him just not fitting in.

In retrospect was there a better deal for Kyrie out there? I still probably dont think so. I mean- you will not be hearing any complaints from Cavs fans if the Cavs can somehow sneak into the top 5 and get a Jackson or Doncic or Bamba etc....especially considering Crowder and IT helped us get Hood, Nance, Hill and Clarkson.

Could the Cavs have gotten George and Bledsoe if they dealt Kyrie earlier? That was a rumor, but I have to think that if that was available they would have pulled the trigger right then and there as Cavs management has known for a while (years in fact) that Kyrie has wanted his own team.

It was just a bad situation all around. I think they got out from under it as best they could and that it was the right move dealing him and bringing in the guys they brought in. IT is a horrible fit vs. GSW anyway---- Hill just fits better.