• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whiteside is an idiot. If you can't guard the perimeter then they're not going to have you in the game when the nets are using a small forward at center

The team that imposes their will on the opponent will have the upper hand IMO. Make Whiteside's advantages a key part of the offense and get the opponent into foul trouble. Switch defensively on the perimeter.

Any recent player getting benched in the 4th SHOULD be upset (especially a recent big money free agent). I'm actually surprised he's been as quiet as he has to this point.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The team that imposes their will on the opponent will have the upper hand IMO. Make Whiteside's advantages a key part of the offense and get the opponent into foul trouble. Switch defensively on the perimeter.

Any recent player getting benched in the 4th SHOULD be upset (especially a recent big money free agent). I'm actually surprised he's been as quiet as he has to this point.

As far as the per 100 stats , how many of those posessions did the Heat launch a 3 where Whiteside never touched the ball?
Of those missed shots, how many times did the opponent get an easy basket at the other end (which was no fault of Whiteside)?

I'm not saying Whiteside is perfect or always needs to be involved.

Fact is, the Heat invested a lot in both him and Olynyk.
Fact is, both players were playing well last night.
Fact is, we were playing a team that had 24 wins, and a roster with no good bigs on it.
Fact is the coach of the Nets was allowed to dictate how the game would be played , which was to the strengths of his roster.

Like I stated yesterday, if one team has such a huge perceived advantage playing one style, then the other team should have that same huge perceived advantage at the other end of the court.

Like I sated yesterday, the Nets were still getting wide open good looks even with the Heat playing small a lot of the time.

With the players the Nets had on the court, who was going to stop Whiteside?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe go into a zone defense for a few minutes?

There are ways to counter.
Spoelstra got played.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whiteside is terrible on defense when it comes to guarding the perimeter. Switching wouldn't help. The problem with Hassan is unlike other centers, he is big and slow. His p&r defense is terrible & he can't guard smaller guys

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whiteside is terrible on defense when it comes to guarding the perimeter. Switching wouldn't help. The problem with Hassan is unlike other centers, he is big and slow. His p&r defense is terrible & he can't guard smaller guys

Did Wiggy hack you or drug you?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has a little bit of a point, imo. I agree with your post re: him not being able to guard the perimeter when a team is using a small forward at center.

But who's stopping him on the offensive end?

Maybe, instead of immediately matching up when a team goes small, leave him out there and see if the lilliputian lineup can stop him?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But who's stopping him on the offensive end?

His post game isn't that great. His shot selection isn't great either. He likes to take silly mid range jump shots more often than he should which explains why at 7 feet 265+ pounds, he is somehow only shooting 54% from the field. He should be close to 60% considering his size advantage he has almost nightly.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it but he would have a better point had spo used bam & kelly a lot tonight. Bam didnt play and kelly got 18 minutes. In other words, he got the most minutes of the centers on the roster. Spo decided they would play small ball and that was that.

That's kind of the point though. One thing that drives me nuts in the NBA is that when a team goes small, the other team seems to automatically go small as well. Why not leave your big lineup out there for awhile and try to press that advantage? Force the opponent to try to match up to you.

Crying about it to the media with the playoffs starting in 2 weeks was just dumb imo

He definitely should have kept that in house.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, instead of immediately matching up when a team goes small, leave him out there and see if the lilliputian lineup can stop him?

They tried this before in previous games.....didn't work out well.

I don't even think Hassan was the problem last night. Spo went with the lineup that got them back in the line and I have no issue with that. I've been on his ass all season last night for not sticking with the hot group and last night he did. Can't kill him for that.

Heat were down 8 when they replaced Olynyk with James Johnson at C.

The Nets scored 14 points in the final 10 minutes of the 4th once the lineup change was made.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's kind of the point though. One thing that drives me nuts in the NBA is that when a team goes small, the other team seems to automatically go small as well. Why not leave your big lineup out there for awhile and try to press that advantage? Force the opponent to try to match up to you.

He definitely should have kept that in house.

Yep. The team is off today from what I read but tomorrow when they're back at practice, all they're going to hear about is Whiteside this and Whiteside that.

One thing I know about the heat coaching staff and front office is they hate players creating unwanted distractions for the rest of the guys and that's exactly what he did.

From his POV, I see why he's mad but speak with the coaches, gm , or president about this is private. He handled this very poorly

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whiteide been salty about the Heat drafting Bam/signing Kelly for months now because he know that meant fewer minutes for him because those 2 can do a lot more on the court than he can do .

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His post game isn't that great. His shot selection isn't great either. He likes to take silly mid range jump shots more often than he should which explains why at 7 feet 265+ pounds, he is somehow only shooting 54% from the field. He should be close to 60% considering his size advantage he has almost nightly.

That's a bit of a conundrum for sure. Obviously, that is a part of his game that he is still working on and trying to develop.

So, that puts Spo in a tough spot. On the one hand, he's not going to develop that part of his game very quickly if they don't play him in those situations.

On the other hand, the Heat are in a playoff race and can't afford to potentially lose games while trying to help him develop his game.

One thing for sure, if I'm the Heat and plan on keeping him, I'd try to bring a former great center like Hakeem, Kareem or someone like that (Mourning?) in the off season to work with him on his post game and shot selection.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They tried this before in previous games.....didn't work out well.

I don't even think Hassan was the problem last night. Spo went with the lineup that got them back in the line and I have no issue with that. I've been on his ass all season last night for not sticking with the hot group and last night he did. Can't kill him for that.

Heat were down 8 when they replaced Olynyk with James Johnson at C.

The Nets scored 14 points in the final 10 minutes of the 4th once the lineup change was made.

What was the Heats lineup when they built the 14 point lead?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the Heats lineup when they built the 14 point lead?

Not sure but I know Whiteside wasn't a part of it. Was too tired after the first 4 minutes of action and told Spo to take him out

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure but I know Whiteside wasn't a part of it. Was too tired after the first 4 minutes of action and told Spo to take him out

Heat were up 6-8 at that point.
Then Kelly came in and lead doubled.

Whiteside was told to go hard, then ask out if he felt like he was getting winded.

We are playing more then likely Celts or Raptors who can both play small.

We’ll prob lose either way, but if Spoelstra lets the opponent dictate our roster, we’ll prob get swept.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat were up 6-8 at that point.
Then Kelly came in and lead doubled.

Whiteside was told to go hard, then ask out if he felt like he was getting winded.

We are playing more then likely Celts or Raptors who can both play small.

We’ll prob lose either way, but if Spoelstra lets the opponent dictate our roster, we’ll prob get swept.

I don't think Spo was happy with Kelly to be honest with you. Kelly almost always play at the end of games but he made some bad plays early in the 4th which helped the Nets increase their lead which I think pissed Spo off a bit.