• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 26,889.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe and Shaq.....they both won without each other.......

What if they couda stayed together? Damn, hurts my heart, 3 more was def possible imo.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is exactly why I believe you are making false assumptions when you say that Klay and Dray are both likely to leave. I think one may, but it is as likely that they both stay that it is for both to leave, IMO.

Each situation is unique. After this year and next Klay may have 4 titles in 5 years (maybe just 3). He will want to get paid, like Curry finally did. I don't see him as a Kyrie-style "I want my own team" guy but the man will deserve a near max deal at that point. Dray the same.

What I'm talking about is hungry stars taking a little less to win a ring. Klay and Dray will already have multiple rings. They will want one big contract. I just don't see how the Ws can afford 4 max or near max deals. So, gun to my head, I think at least 1 if not both of them leave as FAs. Ws will try to keep KD and Curry as a duo as long as they can, hopw guys like Jordan Bell can replace Dray and find a new 3 and D guy to replace Klay.

But it's obviously wide open. I just think it's naive to think those 4 will be around for 5+ years together (from now)

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally serious. This is the era of the superteam. The money is so big now that it really doesn't matter if you make 40M/yr or 30M/yr, except ego. These new guys aren't like that, they get off on winning rings and social media stardom Their brands as leading a team like the Lakers to a title or 2 would dwarf the income of a little less in salary.

Curry didn't make a peep when he was underpaid until just now. No contract demands, nothing. And he had all the leverage. The brand matters. KD, kind of the same. Didn't Chris Paul just take a lot less $ to go to the Rockets?

LeBron can take $10 mil less a year to take his legend to a new level. It's all the moves he has left at his level.
First off, Curry COULDN'T complain because he was in an existing deal - that he agreed to right after he was fully healthy (from his original ankle injuries) and BEFORE his first MVP. His acquired accolades during those seasons is what put him in the position to get the max contract this past summer. In those early seasons he wasn't able to demand max contracts.

KD took less because they had JUST WON a title & wanted to keep the team together because of the HUGE potential to win multiple titles in the years to come. He's already had a max deal w/ OKC AND he signed (w/ GS) a two year with a player option on the 2nd so that he can max out after this season. So really, that discount he gave ($4mil) is going to come back to him 10 fold in his next deal.

CP3 left because of the beef w/ he & Doc over Austin. So, I would imagine money wasn't his motivating factor - not to mention the option of playing for a contender.

LBJ on the other hand, has ALREADY TOLD US on multiple occasions that HE IS NOT GIVING ANY MORE DISCOUNTS. He's also explained that his goal is to be the first billionaire athlete. I'm not sure why that info coming straight from the horses mouth doesn't hold any weight with you.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is exactly why I believe you are making false assumptions when you say that Klay and Dray are both likely to leave. I think one may, but it is as likely that they both stay that it is for both to leave, IMO.
Honestly, I think Klay knows he is in a great spot. He gets to be revered as 1/3 of a big 3 - without any of the real pressure of winning games for his team.

We saw the most recent game when the team relied on him for scoring (without Steph in the game) and he couldn't put the team on his back for even a quarter. He struggles in his regular role with the 2nd unit to start the 2nd quarter in most games. He's just not ready to go somewhere & be the focal point of an offense. I think some of that could be because GS relies on Steph & KD to take over when they need it - and the other part is Klay over thinks things & sometimes forces shots.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing.....both may want to be the man......and have their own team.

Stars have egos.
Not Dray.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't that good of a call. It had to be tough knowing LeBron was the main reason the Heat won those 2 titles only to turn around & have the nerve to leave. If Wade would have been healthy maybe they win 3 or even 4. I'm thirsty.

#patrileystillsucks (wiggystillwhack) burp

View attachment 171101
It's not tough, it was pretty obvious.

No clue what you're trying to say here.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Each situation is unique. After this year and next Klay may have 4 titles in 5 years (maybe just 3). He will want to get paid, like Curry finally did. I don't see him as a Kyrie-style "I want my own team" guy but the man will deserve a near max deal at that point. Dray the same.

What I'm talking about is hungry stars taking a little less to win a ring. Klay and Dray will already have multiple rings. They will want one big contract. I just don't see how the Ws can afford 4 max or near max deals. So, gun to my head, I think at least 1 if not both of them leave as FAs. Ws will try to keep KD and Curry as a duo as long as they can, hopw guys like Jordan Bell can replace Dray and find a new 3 and D guy to replace Klay.

But it's obviously wide open. I just think it's naive to think those 4 will be around for 5+ years together (from now)

I won't be surprised at all if both take a bit less to stay with GS and dominate the league. I don't think either has a huge ego. I think they both know they are HOF players if they stick in GS. If they leave and fail? Even with 3 or 4 rings it would hurt their legacies, IMO. Also, I think they love the system they play in.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't be surprised at all if both take a bit less to stay with GS and dominate the league. I don't think either has a huge ego. I think they both know they are HOF players if they stick in GS. If they leave and fail? Even with 3 or 4 rings it would hurt their legacies, IMO. Also, I think they love the system they play in.

Either scenario is very plausible, and I much prefer yours. Still a lot will happen between now and then.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,889.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's very hard to do. They are doing it now because they want to sacrifice but that doesn't always stay the same forever. Sometimes, people just change. History tells us that.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,889.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, Curry COULDN'T complain because he was in an existing deal - that he agreed to right after he was fully healthy (from his original ankle injuries) and BEFORE his first MVP. His acquired accolades during those seasons is what put him in the position to get the max contract this past summer. In those early seasons he wasn't able to demand max contracts.

Players can always complain.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I guess a team that just got back to .500 should expect to easily beat another .500 team on the road every time. It doesn't work out that way. Even great teams struggle to beat and even lose to bad teams on the road sometimes.

th

Last edited: