• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're often either naive or just a blind homer.

The Cavs won, so obviously the whole narrative of the conversation has to change.
So yes or no was he worth it last season. I'll say yes.

However, in general, it doesn't change the fact that a player with his skill set is not worth an out of pocket cost of 20-25M or whatever it ends up being.
yah prob not--- but this is Dan Gilbert- this is his hobby....hes not making his money off the Cavs.

I dont know why this is hard to understand- Gilbert has like 4-5 billion. Spending an extra 40-50 million here or there does not phase him in the slightest.

like i just told you- the Cavs just SHATTERED the record for buying a 2nd rounder in the draft when absolutely no one was selling picks.

that parade and to be the owner who delivered the City its first title in 52 years was worth way more to Gilbert than an extra 100 million would be. Its insanely lucky to have an owner like that.

by far the primary motive is winning- not financial gain...as Gilbert says- Money leads- it doesnt follow. Wish Dolan would pick that up.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not enjoying it all

best case scenario for me is Bosh comes back, Whiteside comes back, Wade comes back- and we finally get the Miami Heat/Cleveland Cavaliers playoff series i have been jonesing for and proceed to shellack the Heat 4-1. Seriously. It would be no fun to have the Heat be decimated by injury and free agency next year in the East....sure- id laugh at first- but its just not any fun long term.

Hopefully, except for the shellacking part lol.

I wanted a James/Kobe Finals badly, when James was here.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah prob not--- but this is Dan Gilbert- this is his hobby....hes not making his money off the Cavs.

I dont know why this is hard to understand- Gilbert has like 4-5 billion. Spending an extra 40-50 million here or there does not phase him in the slightest.

like i just told you- the Cavs just SHATTERED the record for buying a 2nd rounder in the draft when absolutely no one was selling picks.

that parade and to be the owner who delivered the City its first title in 52 years was worth way more to Gilbert than an extra 100 million would be. Its insanely lucky to have an owner like that.

Many owners can buy and sell him.

New summer, new season, so I'm hoping we can move past the hissy fits, but one last time ( although you won't answer).

Who was the biggest proponent for a hard cap?
Who has never paid a penny of luxury tax if James wasn't on the roster?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Miami loses Whiteside say bye bye to Miami. Rebuild time. Unless if they can sign Drummond, Horford, or Howard.

If I was wade I would wait until to see what happens before I sign.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many owners can buy and sell him.

New summer, new season, so I'm hoping we can move past the hissy fits, but one last time ( although you won't answer).

Who was the biggest proponent for a hard cap?
Who has never paid a penny of luxury tax if James wasn't on the roster?
do you understand that if there are harsher restrictions it makes other owners less likely to spend- hence the guys willing to spend get MORE of an advantage as long as they are willing to shell out the dough.

see this is where you are clueless- and just dont understand the system. The Cavs BOUGHT Kyrie Irving for 40M dollars basically from the Clippers. The Cavs BOUGHT draft picks from the Lakers. The Cavs BOUGHT draft picks from the Grizzlies.

i guess this is just too difficult for you to understand that when you are rebuilding- you strategically limit your options when being over the tax.

Maybe you will find out soon if the Heat have to rebuild--- but one of the best stratgies that the smartest teams implement- is renting out their cap space for draft picks. Gilbert spent tens of millions on this strategy to jump start his rebuild--- and if he doesnt pay 40million to take Baron Davis off the Clippers = no Kyrie Irving which very well might = LeBron still in Miami contending for Titles.

So thank Baron Davis, Dan Gilberts wallet, some ping pong balls, and Sterling's cheapness among the reasons why the HEat are on the verge of a rebuild and LeBron is winning titles in Cleveland.

Dan Gilberts wallet is more responsible for bringing LeBron home than anything- except maybe Arisons tighness with his wallet. In the history of the lux tax the Cavs spending CRUSHES the Heats spending. Not even close.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are probably tired of hearing about it -- because Wiggy was right. (When the Cavs signed TT -- I thought they overpaid also.)

If the Cavs had a different roster -- it would have been a really, really stupid move. But with their roster & what they needed -- it was clearly shown in the playoffs that TT was a great fit for what the Cavs need.

Also -- I could see Cuban offering more for Wade than he deserves (max ... plus more years than he should) -- just to piss off Riley and be a pain in the axx.

Wade's not going anywhere. And Wiggy wasn't right. TT was still overpaid, Cavs just had no option to sign someone of his quality given the cap space restrictions that they had. TT knew the ball was in his court.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you understand that if there are harsher restrictions it makes other owners less likely to spend- hence the guys willing to spend get MORE of an advantage as long as they are willing to shell out the dough.

see this is where you are clueless- and just dont understand the system. The Cavs BOUGHT Kyrie Irving for 40M dollars basically from the Clippers. The Cavs BOUGHT draft picks from the Lakers. The Cavs BOUGHT draft picks from the Grizzlies.

i guess this is just too difficult for you to understand that when you are rebuilding- you strategically limit your options when being over the tax.

Maybe you will find out soon if the Heat have to rebuild--- but one of the best stratgies that the smartest teams implement- is renting out their cap space for draft picks. Gilbert spent tens of millions on this strategy to jump start his rebuild--- and if he doesnt pay 40million to take Baron Davis off the Clippers = no Kyrie Irving which very well might = LeBron still in Miami contending for Titles.

So thank Baron Davis, Dan Gilberts wallet, some ping pong balls, and Sterling's cheapness among the reasons why the HEat are on the verge of a rebuild and LeBron is winning titles in Cleveland.

Dan Gilberts wallet is more responsible for bringing LeBron home than anything- except maybe Arisons tighness with his wallet. In the history of the lux tax the Cavs spending CRUSHES the Heats spending. Not even close.

Please.
Gilbert stayed under the cap any year James wasn't there, and fought the hardest for a hard cap to try to prevent the Heat ( let's not forget the letter) and others from what he is forced to do now.
Bottom line is if the shoe fits you, wear it.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mavs are probably offering him the biggest role, lakers are offering him LA and tons of money, and the Heat are offering him discipline and the best place to be successful long term.

I strongly strongly believe he wont make the right decision for his long term benefit.

He probably won't. I have little faith in him making his own decisions. He doesn't seem like a guy that sees the "big picture" and that the environment he was placed in allowed him to grow, develop, and be successful.

It'll probably go a long way if Whiteside busts and stops growing on another team for the Heat. Honestly, I wish him continued success. But I doubt it if he picks LA for obvious reasons.

Thank god free agency starts tomorrow.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on who you talk to, Wade usually sits around 3rd/4th best SG of all-time. And Jerry West isn't in a lot of people's top 10 given the error he played in. Same goes for Bill Russell.

I have Wade in my top 3 SG's of all-time, for buyist reasons.

1) Jordan
2) Bryant
3) Wade

If it weren't for Wade and Kobe's career overlapping one another's, I wonder how many more times Wade would be an NBA all-defense as well as NBA 1st team.

Jerry West never had to play in an era where he had another player in his position to compare himself to like Wade did with Kobe.

Now I still think if West played in Wade's era he would be nearly as good as Wade, that's why sometimes it is hard to compare eras IMO. I think Russell is the most overrated player of all-time and probably might not start for a lot of teams in this era or be a role player type of player honestly.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you two think the Heat know what is going to happen with Bosh in the fall or do you think its still up in the air?

They probably have a good idea on what's going on but aren't letting anything leak. They're known for doing that.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I still think if West played in Wade's era he would be nearly as good as Wade, that's why sometimes it is hard to compare eras IMO. I think Russell is the most overrated player of all-time and probably might not start for a lot of teams in this era or be a role player type of player honestly.

I agree with you a million percent. West is still really good given that he still put up the stats that he has and he's the Logo for a reason. But I still go with Wade.

Russell as you pointed out was just bigger than everyone else - he really didn't have much competition. It says a lot when you win 11 titles as a player - because it's likely that you (Russell) never really had any tough competition. This is also another reason why I never put him in my top 10 (West is just outside of mine).

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Miami loses Whiteside say bye bye to Miami. Rebuild time. Unless if they can sign Drummond, Horford, or Howard.

If I was wade I would wait until to see what happens before I sign.

Here's the latest update on the situation from someone who was on the radio and supposedly is in the know.

Whiteside has been told he won't be offered anything from the Heat until after the meet with Durant.
Whiteside isn't happy with that and will likely take the Mavs offer.
That's is what Riley WANTS, because they believe Horford wants to come here, possibly even just on the same 1 and 1 deal James is going to sign, leaving his option open for choice of team and supermax next sumner.

I guess Durant has publicly stated he'd like to play with Horford.

If it works out where they get both this or next year it's a home run.

Worst case would be the get Horford, for at least this season, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Is it true?
Who knows.
But it makes sense.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horford is an actual pro and actually helps you win. SOOO much better than Whiteside its not even funny.

if you want gaudy stats and pretty blocks sign whiteside- if u want to win games- sign Horford.

It would fit in a multitude of ways what the Heat are trying to do:

1) Get Horford so you have a legitimate shot at Durant in 2016/2017, where KD has expressed interesting in having Horford on the same roster.

2) As the article points out; Horfords skills fit well with Bosh's game (big IF there considering I think he retires *crosses fingers) and have a roster that can be competitive.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uh huh...

Magic Johnson. Larry Bird. Micheal Jordan. Kobe Bryant. LeBron James...

which one of these all-time great has LOST more finals appearances than they've won...?

seems to make sense to me...and anyone ELSE without LeClown colored goggles...:dhd:

You can't just look at appearances, what you aren't understanding.

His first appearance he beat a championship Pistons team by himself to get there, he had no business in the Finals.
Last year 2015 it was him vs the might Warriors, again he had to do everything.

Making it to the Finals in these type of situation most great players couldn't do and haven't done so that's why your goggles are all fogged up :laugh3:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the latest update on the situation from someone who was on the radio and supposedly is in the know.

Whiteside has been told he won't be offered anything from the Heat until after the meet with Durant.
Whiteside isn't happy with that and will likely take the Mavs offer.
That's is what Riley WANTS, because they believe Horford wants to come here, possibly even just on the same 1 and 1 deal James is going to sign, leaving his option open for choice of team and supermax next sumner.

I guess Durant has publicly stated he'd like to play with Horford.

If it works out where they get both this or next year it's a home run.

Worst case would be the get Horford, for at least this season, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Is it true?
Who knows.
But it makes sense.
you shouldve dealt Whiteside at the trade deadline if Riley's intention was to let him walk anyway. Thats a major missed opportunity.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His first appearance he beat a championship Pistons team by himself to get there, he had no business in the Finals.

Making it to the Finals in these type of situation most great players couldn't do and haven't done so that's why your goggles are all fogged up :laugh3:
how can you over praise a guy who can without a doubt make a strong argument as top 5 all time at the age of 31? lol

7 Finals Apperances, 3 titles, 3 Finals MVP's, 4 MVP's, 11 all NBA first teams-- at the AGE of 31.

this is the type of career you see only one or twice in your lifetime. I dont think you need "foggy goggles" to realize how good LeBron is.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

needless to say, you aren't getting what i'm saying...:rolleyes2:

but hey, have it your way.:lol: simply making it to the finals is all that matters to SOME folks apparently...

me, i'll look at the guys who came away with the prize most often. sorry, but in the end THAT'S what al the greats are measured with...:laugh3:

you'll get over it one day...

Status
Not open for further replies.