• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this - Thompson's contract isn't looking so bad given what guys like Noah, Howard, etc.. are about to get paid, particularly Noah who'll probably miss half the season. The reason why he's still overpaid IMO is because he's simply just an elite rebounder. The Cavs have $200 million locked up essentially in two players that play the same position - even though TT gets put at center nowadays. I seriously doubt that other teams would've offered TT the contract he got out of the Cavs in the old cap. In the new cap, he would've got the contract he has now, probably slightly more...and that's pushing it.

Honestly, I'm tired of hearing about TT. If Lebron wasn't on the Cavs, you probably wouldn't hear much about him. Over if TT went to the Kings, 76ers, name any other bottom dwelling organization.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I'm tired of hearing about TT. If Lebron wasn't on the Cavs, you probably wouldn't hear much about him. Over if TT went to the Kings, 76ers, name any other bottom dwelling organization.

You are probably tired of hearing about it -- because Wiggy was right. (When the Cavs signed TT -- I thought they overpaid also.)

If the Cavs had a different roster -- it would have been a really, really stupid move. But with their roster & what they needed -- it was clearly shown in the playoffs that TT was a great fit for what the Cavs need.

Also -- I could see Cuban offering more for Wade than he deserves (max ... plus more years than he should) -- just to piss off Riley and be a pain in the axx.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this - Thompson's contract isn't looking so bad given what guys like Noah, Howard, etc.. are about to get paid, particularly Noah who'll probably miss half the season. The reason why he's still overpaid IMO is because he's simply just an elite rebounder. The Cavs have $200 million locked up essentially in two players that play the same position - even though TT gets put at center nowadays. I seriously doubt that other teams would've offered TT the contract he got out of the Cavs in the old cap. In the new cap, he would've got the contract he has now, probably slightly more...and that's pushing it.

He's so great that no team offered him anything last summer.
If he wasn't on the Cavs, as you said, most wouldn't even know who he is.
When he declined his initial extension, early 2014, he hadn't shown he was worth even that.
It was obvious what was to follow for anyone with a brain.

Of course when the cap jumps, older contracts look better.
The current back to back league MVP will make 12M next season.
On top of that, which everyone seems to be ignoring, the base salary of Tristan's contract isn't even close to his true cost to Gilbert once you add the penalty.
The Heat won back to back titles with their list of C on the roster including Anthony, Pittman, Haslem, Curry, Anderson and Turiaf.
Their salaries combined prob didn't equal what Gilbert spent on Tristan last year.

Mozgov was the C the Cavs were planning on, he just for whatever reason turned to shit.
Tristan is a good match up vs the Warriors, and they did win, so I'm not going to argue that he didn't end up being worth the investment last season, but in general, no chance in hell that a player with his skillset is worth 25-30M or whatever true total out of pocket cost he ends up being.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are probably tired of hearing about it -- because Wiggy was right. (When the Cavs signed TT -- I thought they overpaid also.)

If the Cavs had a different roster -- it would have been a really, really stupid move. But with their roster & what they needed -- it was clearly shown in the playoffs that TT was a great fit for what the Cavs need.

Also -- I could see Cuban offering more for Wade than he deserves (max ... plus more years than he should) -- just to piss off Riley and be a pain in the axx.

Maybe Riley/Arison are hoping that is what happens?
I see this Wade thing from both sides.
IMO, if the Heat offer him 40M/2 year deal, then they've done the right thing.
If he wants more money and particularly more guaranteed years then that, then bye bye.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mavs going to offer Whiteside the max at 1201 AM tonight according to CBS

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Three teams willing to max out Tristan Thompson next summer

who KNOWS if its true---- but 5 years 82 is SURE a lot better than 5 years 110!!!!

Not necessarily.
Depends if that team is over the cap and paying the penalties.
You throw the word dumb, around quite often
It's probably because you've heard it quite often.

And if anyone or any owner thinks Tristan or some of these other names being thrown around, are max salary players, then they truly have lost their minds.

I understand the concept of supply and demand, but come on.
Next summer should be real interesting when they get into a room all together when the opt out of the current CBA.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mavs going to offer Whiteside the max at 1201 AM tonight according to CBS
mavs are probably offering him the biggest role, lakers are offering him LA and tons of money, and the Heat are offering him discipline and the best place to be successful long term.

I strongly strongly believe he wont make the right decision for his long term benefit.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Riley/Arison are hoping that is what happens?
I see this Wade thing from both sides.
IMO, if the Heat offer him 40M/2 year deal, then they've done the right thing.
If he wants more money and particularly more guaranteed years then that, then bye bye.

He's going to ask more money and I don't blame him. Considering his role on the team and the cap going up, giving him 20 mill yearly is the ultimate slap in the face especially after he's been underpaid by this organization his entire career. Role players are going to be making 17-19 mill next year. I would offer him 2 yr/48

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily.
Depends if that team is over the cap and paying the penalties.
You throw the word dumb, around quite often
It's probably because you've heard it quite often.

And if anyone or any owner thinks Tristan or some of these other names being thrown around, are max salary players, then they truly have lost their minds.

I understand the concept of supply and demand, but come on.
Next summer should be real interesting when they get into a room all together when the opt out of the current CBA.
so you just apply whatever tax to Thompsons contract? lol.....how convenient.....

if anything- Channing Frye is the guy. Gilbert could have gotten out of like 40 million in tax if he wouldve just let Andy go---- but thats not the type of guy he is.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to ask more money and I don't blame him. Considering his role on the team and the cap going up, giving him 20 mill yearly is the ultimate slap in the face especially after he's been underpaid by this organization his entire career. Role players are going to be making 17-19 mill next year. I would offer him 2 yr/48

That's fair.
As long as the 2 stays at 2, I'm cool with whatever dollar amount they agree on.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it seems to me like thats what this is about- that after fighting last summer he didnt think he would have to fight as hard this summer after coming out of nowhere and playing the most games he has played in 5 years and playing really well in the playoffs (even if his regular season was pretty shitty relatively speaking).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you two think the Heat know what is going to happen with Bosh in the fall or do you think its still up in the air?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you just apply whatever tax to Thompsons contract? lol.....how convenient.....

if anything- Channing Frye is the guy. Gilbert could have gotten out of like 40 million in tax if he wouldve just let Andy go---- but thats not the type of guy he is.

That's prob exactly what Gilbert wanted to do, but we both know if he had, and the Cavs had lost, then James would have had in his back pocket the excuse he needed to leave, if he wanted to.
Like we've all been telling you, James runs the show.
That scene wasn't in the script.

As far as figuring out where to apply the tax, put it wherever you choose, but most owners look at players/ values and then decide to keep or rid of them based on what their net cost will be.

Let's see what happens with Delly.
Hopefully James wants him around.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you two think the Heat know what is going to happen with Bosh in the fall or do you think its still up in the air?

I have no reason to think he'll ever be cleared from what I've read/heard about blood clots and reoccurrence.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most in the Heat organization seems confident that he will play. I know Wade said he's 100% sure Bosh is playing next season. Guess we'll see

Status
Not open for further replies.