• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hugely depends on next summer and who you can bring in.

you should have how much cap space next summer?? do you know??

Mozgov, Deng, Black, Clarkson will be paid about 52 million next year....i obviously dont love that- but you gotta do what you gotta do....

the key for the Lakers will be to get their roster set and get a free agent or two in BEFORE all the young guys get their contracts redone and make it very difficult to manage cap wise....once Russell, Randle, etc. get their raises its gonna be hard to manage around---- that is those guys are still there and deemed worthy of large contracts.

its interesting....i think the Lakers are improving shape- but it concerns me that Deng, Mozgov, Black, Clarkson will be taking up $52M in cap room next offseason where i think the Lakers rebuild could have started attracting a higher tier level free agent.

not concerned at all. if the young guys shape up like I expect they will i'm not seeing too many issues going forward. btw Clarkson's contract was considered a good one so I personally have no problems with it. he's one of the young guys I expect to continue to develop on this roster...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiggy was that 4 eyed geeky kid that always got picked last. One of the biggest reasons he's a sad bandwagoner today...:dhd::dhd:
i will guarantee you i was better at baseball than you were at any sport you played by a SIGNIFICANT margin.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not concerned at all. if the young guys shape up like I expect they will i'm not seeing too many issues going forward. btw Clarkson's contract was considered a good one so I personally have no problems with it. he's one of the young guys I expect to continue to develop on this roster...
i dont think those contracts individually are necesarily bad---- but as a whole you will be paying Deng, Clarkson, Black and Mozgov 52 million......thats nearly 2 max contract spots....

i understand why they did it- for the most part--- it was a tough choice.....

personally i think i would have had them suck one more year- however not getting your draft pick next year and sending it to philly complicates that.

i wonder if they didnt sign deng and mozgov and just signed lesser guys like say james johnson or sulligner or whoever...and then went into next offseason relatively clean cap wise with clarkson,russell, ingram, randle, if it would have been better.

we shall see i guess.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mozgov, Deng, Black, Clarkson will be paid about 52 million next year....i obviously dont love that- but you gotta do what you gotta do....

the key for the Lakers will be to get their roster set and get a free agent or two in BEFORE all the young guys get their contracts redone and make it very difficult to manage cap wise....once Russell, Randle, etc. get their raises its gonna be hard to manage around---- that is those guys are still there and deemed worthy of large contracts.

its interesting....i think the Lakers are improving shape- but it concerns me that Deng, Mozgov, Black, Clarkson will be taking up $52M in cap room next offseason where i think the Lakers rebuild could have started attracting a higher tier level free agent.

A cavs fan trying to lecture others on how to best utilise cap space...?

Really?!?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can. If he wants to test the waters of FA.

I think you missed the point. I'm questioning why he would sign an extension when he can make more money signing next summer, regardless of where he chooses to play.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think those contracts individually are necesarily bad---- but as a whole you will be paying Deng, Clarkson, Black and Mozgov 52 million......thats nearly 2 max contract spots....

i understand why they did it- for the most part--- it was a tough choice.....

personally i think i would have had them suck one more year- however not getting your draft pick next year and sending it to philly complicates that.

i wonder if they didnt sign deng and mozgov and just signed lesser guys like say james johnson or sulligner or whoever...and then went into next offseason relatively clean cap wise with clarkson,russell, ingram, randle, if it would have been better.

we shall see i guess.

Black's contract is non-guaranteed for next season. If they cut Black and Anthony Brown next summer and stretch Young's contract, they will have $30mil+ cap space which will be enough to sign a 10+ year max player.

Next year's draft pick is once again top-3 protected. They could have gone the tank route again, but at some point you have to do something with the cap space and start moving forward.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black's contract is non-guaranteed for next season. If they cut Black and Anthony Brown next summer and stretch Young's contract, they will have $30mil+ cap space which will be enough to sign a 10+ year max player.

Next year's draft pick is once again top-3 protected. They could have gone the tank route again, but at some point you have to do something with the cap space and start moving forward.

I doubt the Lakers are going down the tank-route again this year. They probably won't win more than 35 games at most but they're probably going to try to develope the young core more. D'Angelo Russell has already looked significantly better and his USA Select Team practise is probably only going to make him better.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where is this higher tier player going to fit? Lakers seem to have emerging talent at every position:

PG: Russell
SG: Clarkson
SF: Ingram
PF: Randle, Nance
C: Zubac

More likely, Lakers will look to improve to add more young vet depth. If they do land a superstar, it could trigger a trade of one or two of the young guys to add an additional star/superstar.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the Lakers are going down the tank-route again this year. They probably won't win more than 35 games at most but they're probably going to try to develope the young core more. D'Angelo Russell has already looked significantly better and his USA Select Team practise is probably only going to make him better.

They certainly aren't tanking. They weren't trying to tank the previous couple of years either but did.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They certainly aren't tanking. They weren't trying to tank the previous couple of years either but did.

I still can't figure out what Byron Scott was trying to do with last years team. I tried to defend him multiple times but looking back he failed big-time whatever he did.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Clarkson and Fournier, in Orlando, are the best two deals signed this Summer based on their production.

No need to list Durant.

Honorable mention to Brandon Jennings.

The worst?

Evan Turner...it's even worst than first thought now that they retained Crabbe.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is this higher tier player going to fit? Lakers seem to have emerging talent at every position:

More likely, Lakers will look to improve to add more young vet depth. If they do land a superstar, it could trigger a trade of one or two of the young guys to add an additional star/superstar.

I really like Zublacka.....give him a couple of Seasons and he will unseat Mozgoz.

Ditto for Ingram and Deng.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still hate the Mosgov deal.

Not because of the dollars, but because of the years.

I'm good with Deng because although he showed flashes, Ingram isn't ready.

So, they need a steady vet in that locker room and on the court when things go down to the wire.

I expect them to perform like last year's Timberpups.

Upsetting a few Teams, challenging most every game. But, a lottery Team again.

It will be progress.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope so. Zubac has the potential to be a very good player.

Definitely first round talent.

I understand what Wiggyruss is saying about having to pay all those guys when their rookie deal is up.

That would be a problem for most Teams.

But, not the Lakers.

As long as you have that TV money, it offsets Team Salary and luxury tax.

So, if Mitch wants to keep them all, he really could.

Reactions: LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand what Wiggyruss is saying about having to pay all those guys when their rookie deal is up.

But, not the Lakers.

Plus Bird Rights - which I love!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, not the Lakers.

the problem isnt paying those guys- the problem is bringing in a major free agent or two that can help you win that is better than deng or mozgov or clarkson- while having those 3 on the books and the need to pay the young guys.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3-4 years from now if half those guys are still on the team it would be highly highly surprising considering how the NBA works whether via trades, injuries, performance, salary, playing time, etc. etc.

think of all the teams that have tanked and gone through rebuilds and had multiple high picks- all of them NEVER EVER EVEEEEEEEEEEEEEER work out. Even guys taken in the top 5- let alone late first or 2nd rounders.

if out of those 6 guys you get 1 star, 1 or 2 really good players and 1 or 2 rotation guys that would be exceedingly fortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.