• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i highly doubt that- about Durant....i think Durant either does the Clips or OKC...but i guess you can never say never...

Wall/Beale/Horford would be an intersting core.
This is still a big selling point for the Celts.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interestingly, it sounds like the coaching staff wanted Mozgov more so than the front office. Shaw coached him in Denver. Luke scouted him for the last two NBA Finals and indicated to Mozgov that he likes what he brings to the game.

I've been saying that Luke must have been on board with the signing for it to have happened, especially as quickly as it did.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 and 8 while providing solid rim protection, hard screens, efficient finishing in the pick and roll, and mentoring this Zubac kid. That's about as much as I can hope for. And at least a 4th year team option!

Interestingly, it sounds like the coaching staff wanted Mozgov more so than the front office. Shaw coached him in Denver. Luke scouted him for the last two NBA Finals and indicated to Mozgov that he likes what he brings to the game.
i think the most important thing is the rim protection and the confidence he could give the young guys to play aggresively- and clean up some of their mistakes at the rim....and i think you will be surprised at how well he can run the floor and finish in the pick and roll....

very very good article from Pluto here...

Ex-Cleveland Cavalier Timofey Mozgov to Los Angeles Lakers for $64 million? What a country! -- Terry Pluto (photos)

highly recommend for any Lakers fan on Timo....here is an exceprt:

Remember how Thompson and his agents were considered greedy and unrealistic during the contract talks? How the Cavs were criticized for giving Thompson too much money, and supposedly doing it because Thompson and LeBron James are represented by the same Klutch sports agency?

Well, that now looks like a very good and fair deal for both sides -- especially after Timofey Mozgov just agreed to a four-year, $64 million deal with the Los Angeles Lakers.

I repeat ... TIMOFEY MOZGOV RECEIVED $64 MILLION FROM THE LAKERS!

THE LAKERS WRAPPED UP MOZGOV ONLY 45 MINUTES INTO FREE AGENCY???

Here's the disclaimer: Mozgov is not as bad as he was in 2015-16. The center had knee surgery after the 2015 NBA Finals. He came back too fast in training camp.

Former Cavs coach David Blatt has known Mozgov since the center was 18 years old, while Blatt was coaching in Russia. Blatt told me how Mozgov always struggled with confidence. He was a struggling player when younger. Coordination was a problem because of his different growth spurts.

"He needs a lot of love," said Blatt.

Insecurity continued to haunt Mozgov during his six-year NBA career. He can run. He can jump. He's a 73 percent shooter from the foul line, indicating he has a decent shooting touch.

But the pieces have always been better than the whole for Mozgov, who made $4.9 million with the Cavs last season.

Mozgov averaged 10.6 points, 6.9 rebounds and shot 59 percent from the field in 25 minutes a game. He blocked shots and was a impact player defensively. Those 46 games were the best stretch of his career. That's the player the Lakers must hope they are signing.

Last season, he dropped to 6.3 points, 4.4 rebounds in 17 minutes a game. A big difference was his defense. While some NBA executives question the merits of ESPN's "real defensive plus/minus" stats, it is revealing when it comes to Mozgov.

• In 2014-15, ESPN ranked Mozgov the No. 7 center in the NBA in defense.
  • In 2015-16, ESPN had him at No. 70.
He had ceased to be a factor in the role of what the NBA executives now call "rim protection."

How much of it was the knee? How much was his confidence?

Playing for the Cavs this season was a pressure-packed experience. Thompson rose to the occasion. Frye was a major factor off the bench until The Finals. Mozgov played only 76 minutes in the postseason, few in meaningful situations

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have put together a roster of solid NBA players with a potential star in Thomas, they have a good coach and are young. A star level player is really all they seem to be missing, especially in the East.
I forgot to take that into consideration, good point

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is still a big selling point for the Celts.
whats their team though? - like u said- maybe if they can get butler- then you have a core of Thomas, Butler, Horford, Durant.....is that better than Durant, CP3, Griffin, Jordan ...or RW, Oladipo, Adams, Durant, Kanter (or whatever they end up doing)? ---- ehhhh... i dont think so...we shall see though i guess.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats their team though? - like u said- maybe if they can get butler- then you have a core of Thomas, Butler, Horford, Durant.....is that better than Durant, CP3, Griffin, Jordan ...or RW, Oladipo, Adams, Durant, Kanter (or whatever they end up doing)? ---- ehhhh... i dont think so...we shall see though i guess.
It's comparable, and don't forget they still have the Nets pick in a loaded draft next year, as well as a ton of other picks. Not that any of that would affect a Durant signing, but they are still projecting very well moving forward.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of this matters because Horford is coming to DC :D

Just me stayin' positive.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers are making some bad moves. Im a little surprised.

I can't believe how much Conley is making. 30.5 mill a year. OMG.

This league is in trouble with salary issues. Every player has won the lottery

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bulls going after Rondo and Wade. Not a fan of it. I don't even want to know the amount both would get.
Are you just not a fan because of the money?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'd compete with the Cavs and for a title with that lineup. Crowder vs Butler is less of a drop off then people think. Both are great wing defenders and Butler is a 20 ppg guy vs Crowders 15. I'd rather have Butler, but just landing Horford would be great for us.

And even though Crowder was a very good defender in Butler you get another lockdown defender to go along with Bradley plus is offense seems to get better every year. Legit contenders with Butler or KD. If they got KD I would actually put them right even with the Cavs bc they have the experience just not as a unit.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bulls going after Rondo and Wade. Not a fan of it. I don't even want to know the amount both would get.

Wade would be worth it depending on the years, he had a very solid season. Rondo is iffy but it would fit the lineup with Wade and Butler bc he is a distributor and defender.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers are making some bad moves. Im a little surprised.

Really?!? Getting Clarkson locked up for 4 years on a cap friendly deal and getting Deng who can still play and will be a great influence on a young team are "bad moves"?

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Johnson to the Jazz for two years, $22 million.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?!? Getting Clarkson locked up for 4 years on a cap friendly deal and getting Deng who can still play and will be a great influence on a young team are "bad moves"?
As a Lakers fan, how long do you think Russell and Clarkson coexist? Do they need to pick one at some point?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like clarkson but the 2 free agent signings over paid. i know i know all players are getting over paid but im shocked they went after these 2 guys. deng on the decline and moz who is nothing more then a back up center.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Half the league is making more than Steph this year

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thus far- the Lakers have used 46M in cap room-

12 on Clarkson
16 on Mozgov
18 on Deng

curious as to how the Lakers fans view these moves as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.