• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread part 2

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very interesting article from the NYT who does not have a dog in the right;

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/27/sports/basketball/chris-bosh-miami-heat-blood-clots.html?_r=0

Chris Bosh, one of the top players in the N.B.A., has never caused trouble for his team, on or off the court. He has won two N.B.A. titles and been selected for the All-Star Game 11 times. The Miami Heat, however, do not want him to step on the court for them this season, or perhaps ever again.

In one of the strangest and most ethically challenging standoffs in sports history, Bosh and the Heat are locked in a dispute over whether he should be deemed medically fit to play after dealing with serious health problems. With training camp scheduled to start this week, Bosh says he is ready to go. The Heat say he is not.

Bosh also alluded to the tension between himself and the Heat’s medical staff.

“If you’re an athlete in this game, you have to protect your own interests, and you have to protect your body and your family,” Bosh said. “If one doctor is a doctor for 15 guys, who’s paying this guy?”

He added, “If you’re paying a doctor through your pocket, your insurance — whatever that case may be — that changes their interest.”

Samantha Brennan, a philosophy professor at Western University in London, Ontario, teaches a class on sports ethics that touches on the role of team doctors and the conflicts of interest that can arise — namely, clearing athletes to return to competition before they are ready.

“That’s what makes the case involving Chris Bosh so unusual,” Brennan said, referring to the urge among teams to send players back onto the field.

So what happens if an athlete, fully aware of the medical risks, insists on continuing to play? Does the team have a moral responsibility to look out for the athlete’s well-being? In most cases, Brennan said, risk taking is left to the discretion of adults. The challenge with many athletes, she said, is that they have invested so much of themselves in their careers from an early age that it can cloud their judgment.

“When they need to make a difficult decision, it puts them in a bind,” Brennan said. “It makes it very hard for them to say, ‘I’m ready to stop playing.’”

Ultimately, Brennan said, an athlete is an employee, and team officials have the power to do what they want.

“So they’re making two kinds of decisions,” Brennan said, referring to the Heat. “One is an ethical decision about not wanting someone they know and care about — imagine if he died playing. They’re also making a self-interested decision because they’re worried about injuries and liability.”
This is what we've been trying to explain to you

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL....its better than fluffing wittle Jimmy and hearing him say "this NEVER HAPPENS"....bring on the big ole self-made-billionaire schwance over the limp flaccid incompetent "my daddy weft me the company and i am in waaaaay over my fucking head" baby dick. LOL

Difference is, Lakers fans aren't happy with Jim Buss. A sad little twerp like you will defend anything Gilbert says and does, no matter how pathetic or ridiculous.

Yeah....sorry. I haven't heard one Lakers poster ever defend Jim Buss. Actually they say he's got a lot to prove still and most would rather see Jeannie taking over.

Wiggy makes a fool of himself yet again.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....sorry. I haven't heard one Lakers poster ever defend Jim Buss. Actually they say he's got a lot to prove still and most would rather see Jeannie taking over.

Hell no to Jeannie as well. Those trust fund kids need to take a big step back and hire real basketball people to run the franchise. Mitch and Ryan West are fine for GM/Asst GM and the new coaching staff looks solid.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sixers are jinxed. Simmons had surgery on his foot.

Getting what they deserve for continuously tanking. 5 years and counting...

The NBA needs a system where the Sixers can be sent down to a lower league, with someone else moving up.